Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you consider to be the cultural hub of the West Coast??
Los Angeles 63 64.95%
San Francisco 39 40.21%
Portland 2 2.06%
San Diego 2 2.06%
Denver 3 3.09%
Seattle 12 12.37%
Las Vegas (LOL) 2 2.06%
Other 1 1.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:06 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Is this a troll post? Stanford and Wharton over Harvard, Yale, MIT? Seattle is "only Microsoft"? Sorry bro, I can't take you seriously. L.A. homers have got to be the worst. No wonder most of the country detests L.A. and loves New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, etc.....
You should not be so fast to assume he is from Los Angeles. Most of us are confused by the "elitist" view he takes in all his posts, but he may very well be from the Bay Area. I think he lives in the Silicon Valley because he often states how the Silicon Valley is wealthier than Los Angeles and talks about the residents there owning "vacation homes" on the West Side of LA. He may very well be from the BAY AREA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 08:23 PM

196 posts, read 628,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Los Angeles, hands down.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:00 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Define "culture"

Most of smartest guys in CA live/work in SiliconValley, not SF

Stanford is arguably intellectual epicenter of CA and US; only modern competition is Phila's Wharton

Most of CA's hotties are on LA's Westside

Best overall grub in CA is found on LA's Westside, not SF

And Seattle, etc are fairly irrelevant....Seattle is Microsoft...and no one's made a dollar at MSFT in past ~10yrs; sort of a modern-day GM....and have never found anything but mediocre grub and obese, hygiene-challenged people in Seattle or Podunk NW
I bet you didn't know that LA is one of the most obese cities in the country, did ya? And that Seattle is less obese than LA and San Diego.

Stanford is nothing compared to Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, MIT, NYU, and Boston College.

Best food I ever had in CA was San Francisco. Pizza was horrible in both places but SF had the best dining.

Diversity, LA wins. But the city that better displays it is San Francisco.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:36 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Define "culture"

Stanford is arguably intellectual epicenter of CA and US; only modern competition is Phila's Wharton

And Seattle, etc are fairly irrelevant....Seattle is Microsoft...and no one's made a dollar at MSFT in past ~10yrs; sort of a modern-day GM....and have never found anything but mediocre grub and obese, hygiene-challenged people in Seattle or Podunk NW
yeah but Stanford and SV are both "bay area"
I hope you aren't saying they are LA stuff?

how does hotties correlate to cultural hub.
also SF cuisine is definitely up there.

That being said, it is hands down LA, from the sheer size, to the global recognition... it broadcasts its culture worldwide.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:56 AM

86 posts, read 341,320 times
Quote:
Define "culture"

lol what a joke. seattle is the 2nd most fit city in america [if i read this article correctly, LA is at the bottom of the list], no one i know is hygiene-challenged, i dont live in the middle of nowhere, alot of my friends and their parents work for microsoft and they are really wealthy, seattle is known for its fine dining and upscale restaurants. but overall i do say that LA is the hub for diversity, but for overall greatness, seattle and san francisco are a WHOLE lot better than LA.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...t-cities_N.htm

Old 12-22-2008, 10:02 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
It's between San Francisco and Los Angeles. I can't believe people are actually voting for the other cities.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:17 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
It's between Los Angeles and Los Angeles. I can't believe people are actually voting for the other cities.
that's more accurate...

Old 12-22-2008, 10:24 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
that's more accurate...
I wouldn't say that. San Francisco has some things that LA doesn't (for example, a Federal Reserve Bank...not branch).

Old 12-22-2008, 01:14 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
So there's obviously a lot of Los Angeles posters in here beating their chests and wetting their pants over this, yet not one has thoroughly convinced me yet as to why L.A. beats out the Bay Area in terms of being a cultural hub. I'd love to see a side-by-side breakdown of this. Greater Frisco has a Federal Reserve Bank, Golden Gate Bridge, Silicon Valley, etc. Greater L.A. has Hollywood, beaches, Beverly Hills, Malibu, etc. To me it's a draw.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:19 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
I hate LA, but it is LA. SF has more refined culture, but LA is the second most important city in the US.
To the guy that claimed Boston College is better than Stanford- what is he smoking???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.