Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 PM

418 posts, read 809,881 times

Advertisements

Do people shop based on the character of the place, or to buy stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 06:51 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Right, but it is kind of freaky to go into malls in Scottsdale, AZ, San Diego, CA, Nashville, TN, Orlando, FL, Troy, MI, and Buffalo, NY and find the exact same stores with the exact same merchandise in all of them. It's just weird that there is no variation between what you can buy in places that are 1,800 miles apart. Between mall stores and restaurant chains, the unique products of the regional cultures in this country can really only be found in touristy areas or on the internet anymore.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:02 AM

199 posts, read 178,901 times
The fact that you can find the same clothing in a mall on one side of country to the other is the fact that the world is much smaller now and even if you shop online, if you don't buy overseas then it will look just like something you can get in a mall somewhere in most occasions. You aren't going to be looking that different from someone else unless you make your own clothing or thrift shop. Even boutiques have the same stuff. I mean show me anything you have on that came from a store and I can find it in a mall store or local boutique unless you got it thrift and even that is being commercialized.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
Do people shop based on the character of the place, or to buy stuff?
I just go to buy stuff usually. But for me, malls and most other stores are just an unpleasant experience. I never go shopping just for the enjoyment of it, because to me it's not enjoyable. It's simply a task I have to do occasionally to get things I need. The strange exception to that is grocery shopping. For some reason I actually enjoy that, as long as I'm not shopping in Walmart or Kroger, both of which are very unpleasant stores to me.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
And the last time I was in a mall I was constantly being hounded by salesmen trying to get me to try this or that.
Ugh, you're totally referring to the trend of kiosks in the middle of malls, and their annoying salesmen/women! That's a big factor why I dislike the state of most malls nowadays(a few malls excluded, that were classy enough to not have an insane number of kiosks inside).

And this is as much as I don't hate going to malls(due to the advantages they have over outdoor shopping centers, such as being climate controlled, and sometimes the occasional store/eatery that's difficult to find outside of a mall, i.e. Spencer's, Orange Julius, Freschens(sp?)). Le sigh, since nothing in the world will ever be 100% perfect...

Old 06-05-2011, 06:40 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,725 times
I just started a part time job at a mall last month. I definitely agree with everyone saying the worst part about malls are the people! Too many women/girls dressing like sl-ts, too many young guys acting cocky, and too many people in general acting like they're hot stuff just because they've got a few dollars to spend today! The second part I hate about malls is the music; I work in the food court so I am never free from the hip hop/pop that I'd rather not hear. But I guess that's better than hearing people's cell phones and vapid conversations!

Old 06-05-2011, 11:09 PM

929 posts, read 1,904,059 times
Quote:
Too many women/girls dressing like sl-ts
This isn't necessarily a bad thing for heterosexual male mall-goers (homosexual female mall-goers as well).

Old 06-07-2011, 06:28 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,912 times
The only mall I ever liked going to was the old Newington Mall in Newigton NH. Sadly it was closed in the 90's Nice simple single floor mall not many shops but it was nice.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:32 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
I hate malls because they are:

*climate controlled (BLAH!)
*very boring and bland
*makes me sick every time I enter one
*too many fumes!
*usually few windows - you could be anywhere
*no sense of "place"
*rarely do I get what I'm looking for
*you get wierd looks
*much too strict on rules with hours, people, and whether you can bring in cameras, etc etc...
*too crowded, much rather have an outdoor array of shops

Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I guess I actually like malls okay. To be honest I really liked malls when I was young because of a few things complained about. I wasn't going to get into my condition, osteogenesis imperfecta, but something reminded me of it so what the heck.

Climate-controlled is great when you have a condition that made getting hot cause rashes or where you can't use your wheelchair in the snow. Also I get looks everywhere so I don't care about that. Although once in a mall I had a stranger grab my arm and say "I got a cousin who has OI." That was kind of freaky. I mean I don't want strange old men grabbing me.

If I had to pick what I dislike about malls I'd say that they're often too loud and that the Food Courts are usually awful. There's a mall I go to that has a great Deli, but that's not really a "Food Court" type situation. It's not a chain that's linked to malls, it's just a guy from that town who runs a Deli in their mall. If there were no mall in that town he might be doing a Deli anyway, because he's pretty good, but there is and he probably figured it was a sensible business move to be in the mall. Or something, point is his business has expanded since I've known him and ate at lunch it still sometimes has like a huge line you have to wait on. So it was a good business move for him. And I like the guy okay too, enough so I had my college graduation party there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.