Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 PM

181 posts, read 849,406 times

Advertisements

Will these already hard-hit rustbelt cities survive? They've been losing population (especially Chicago) already for a long time. I predict a mass migration to better economic pastures.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:56 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
I predict in 20 or 30 years all American cities will be longing for they days when they weren't so big and crowded. This is a bump in histories road. America is still a child.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:00 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Chicago and Columbus are doing relatively well for themselves. Chicago, in particular, isn't going anywhere.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:00 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Sorry radiodude84, but Columbus is not rustbelt by any means.

That is one of the very few cities in the Midwest that looks, acts and feels almost like a Sunbelt metro. I would be surprised if they aren't at least holding their own right now - they have a very diversified, modern economy there.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:11 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I predict in 20 or 30 years all American cities will be longing for they days when they weren't so big and crowded. This is a bump in histories road. America is still a child.
Actually, I think it's the other way around. I think in 20 or 30 years, all American cities will start realizing how stupid it was to spread and destroy the countryside of our land.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:14 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
I'm not sure why you threw in Columbus. Up until recently C-bus has been one of the steadiest growing cities in the midwest. It's the state capital and there are plenty of government and white collar jobs there, not to mention the country's largest University w/over 50k students. Many of my peers have moved from NE Ohio to Columbus for work and everyone that i know there is still working.

I live in the Youngstown metro and if we have survived the past 30 years since the steel mills closed we will keep surviving. In fact i think we were all better prepared than the rest of the country for this current recession. I feel like we've been in a recession for almost ten years now if not longer.

Are people moving out of our area?? Of course they are. Many people my age (30) have educated themselves and moved on, mostly to Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, and North Carolina. Many parents follow their kids south, but there are a ton of retirees left behind. Some people spend their winters in Florida and live here during the warm months. Many of them still have friends and family here and most of the older people love to take advantage of the plethora of golf courses we have here. Not to mention it's super cheap to golf or belong to a course here. During the holidays it feels like the old days. Everyone that's moved away and still has family in the area comes back home to Northeast Ohio and our stores and restaurants are filled to capacity.

Our main cities Youngstown/Warren have been hard hit by foreclosures, drugs and slumlords. Warren city has recently laid off a bunch of fire and policemen and the tax base will continue to shrink. Thankfully Youngstown has a plan, you might have read about it.......... Youngstown 2010

Right now our biggest employers are Youngstown State University, the hospitals, and the Youngstown-Warren Air Reserve base. General Motors Lordstown Plant is also a big employer, but they recently laid off over 2000 people due to the downturn in the automotive industry. Unfortunately, because they are no longer running three shifts many of their suppliers are also downsizing. One of our last steel mills (Severstal formerly WCI) in Warren has shut down their blast furnace and they've also temporarily laid off many of their employees until at least June or July.

It's not all bad news for the Youngstown area. Recently downtown has undergone a face-lift and there is a youth movement trying to turn things around here. Youngstown's mayor Jay Williams is in his mid 30s and our Congressman, Tim Ryan is around the same age. We also have the Youngstown Business Incubator which has fostered the start up of many business to business software companies. One of those companies, Audience Response Systems | Turning Technologies, was named one of the country's fastest growing software companies. Here is a NPR story on the Incubator Youngstown, Ohio: The Rust Belt's Silicon Valley? : NPR This is all happening in Youngstown and some of us that are not disenfranchised are excited about some recent development. Sure this recession is affecting us big-time, but once things start to turn around i see things getting better here. I mean, it can't get much worse than it is right now........there is no where to go but up.

If you are interested in learning more about Youngstown check out:
Home | Mill Creek MetroParks
DEFEND YOUNGSTOWN!
i will shout youngstown

Here's some shots of downtown.....doesn't look like a bad place now, does it????

Old 02-28-2009, 01:18 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,799 times
Ummm...Chicago's been booming?

Old 02-28-2009, 04:53 PM

187 posts, read 524,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Will these already hard-hit rustbelt cities survive? They've been losing population (especially Chicago) already for a long time. I predict a mass migration to better economic pastures.
Moderator cut: personal attack You're a 1 note song. Can't stop hat'n on CHI. Get a life!

Last edited by Bo; 04-06-2009 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: See the DM I sent to you for an explanation.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Neither Chicago or Columbus is depressed. Until this recession they were boomig cities.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:06 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Why is Chicago on this list? They are not struggling any more than the Average American city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.