Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 10:53 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,128,001 times

Advertisements

Would it help the environment, or make people care less because they'd take it more for granted?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 10:56 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
I reckon most people would kinda like it. I kinda like it.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:55 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
From an ecological perspective, I believe that if it is arable land, it would be better used to grow food for the city rather than trucking it in from far more distant points. This would free up more distant land for forests. It is better to have distant but contiguous large forests than nearby, fractured forests. Even in an urban region ringed by farmland I think there should be 'greenways' that allow animals to migrate through the area.

ABQConvict

Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
We have a greenbelt. It is being sold to buisnesses piece by piece

Old 03-14-2009, 01:13 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Studies show that people who live in neighborhoods with plenty of trees take more pride in it, and that tree filled neighborhoods have less crime in general. Criminals in tree filled neighborhoods feel more like the nighborhood is being watched or protected. That was pretty interesting to read, but other than that it just looks good.

Panoramio - Photo of Entrance to Freeway Park on Pike

Panoramio - Photo of Park Avenue

Panoramio - Photo of portland_2

You just really can't go wrong. And if you do it right, it's a great effect.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:25 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,128,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
From an ecological perspective, I believe that if it is arable land, it would be better used to grow food for the city rather than trucking it in from far more distant points. This would free up more distant land for forests. It is better to have distant but contiguous large forests than nearby, fractured forests. Even in an urban region ringed by farmland I think there should be 'greenways' that allow animals to migrate through the area.

ABQConvict
I'm actually only talking rings a few miles wide. Outside of those would be farmland.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:07 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,623 times
They have something like that in Toronto and Portland, once you get past the greenbelt line, you can have highrise buildings on one side of the road, and farmland and forests on the other. Pretty cool if you ask me!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:36 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,338 times
Actually, in the Cities, trees are more of a pain for the City Workers, because when the leaves come down, it clogs the sewer system and catch basins, unless the City has a policy to pick up the leaves. Its ok if they are outside a large city, as they help reduce the heat generated by the Cities.
(Being a former Waste Water Plant Operator, I have first hand experience on what trees do to sewers, drains, and the waste water treatment system).

Trees do cool down a City, as it absorbs the heat and the carbon dioxide that people expell. I believe it takes an acre of trees to each person, so, the more people you have in a city, the more trees are needed outside the city to support each individual.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.