Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:35 PM

37,235 posts, read 39,509,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Areas of Manhattan such as the LES, parts of Upper Manhattan and the Westside, were filled with crime by todays standards. Starting in the early to mid 90s, these started to gentrify and property values and taxes went up. This means that lower income people couldn't afford to live in these areas. When that started to happen, crime went down. Crime is now concentrated in certain parts of the city, but it isn't as wide spred as it was maybe 20 years ago.
the question to ask, then, is if the low income places today are comparable to the low income neighborhoods of the past in regards to crime stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 04:57 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,272,093 times
Default Why is it that New York City remains the safest big city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Affect View Post
What exactly is NYC doing differently to keep crime rate the lowest compared to other big cities?
Its not because of September 11 - crime was going down big time in the 90s. If I remember right it was Gulianai and Police Chief Brennan(?) back in the 90s who realized that the majority of the crimes were being commited over and over again by a relatively small percentage of the criminal population. Lock them away and you begin to dent the "culture" of crime.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:02 PM

New York also has a major advantage in that a huge number of people; workers, visitors, tourists etc coming into the city every day. Criminals are often detered by large numbers of people watching. That is why on a different thread, someone complaining about city parks being no good when they are "too crowded", has no idea what he is talking about.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:19 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,059,490 times
NYPD under report crimes.

Stroll through the majority of the Bronx and tell me its the safest big city.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:24 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,075,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

You think that NYC is the ONLY city that "under reports" crimes? The Bronx is part of NYC, the Bronx is not it's own city! If Chicago's Southside was it's own city, those crime stats would look like a war zone!....

Old 03-20-2009, 09:45 PM

37,235 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

Try averaging that out with most of Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, and the western-ish portion of Brooklyn, and that'll probably give you a better picture. Also, big cities in the states generally have greater crime issues than suburbs and smaller cities, so it's not like anyone's claiming NYC is blessed crime-free paradise.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:15 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,618,970 times
Is NYC the "safest big city"? I am just asking since no data has been produced. The former police chief of NYPD, William Bratton has been the police chief in LA for several years and crime has decreased nicely. If may have something to do with who is running the NYPD.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Is NYC the "safest big city"? I am just asking since no data has been produced. The former police chief of NYPD, William Bratton has been the police chief in LA for several years and crime has decreased nicely. If may have something to do with who is running the NYPD.
William Bratton (not Brennan) was the guy I was talking about in post 12 lol. Hopefully he does for LA what he did for NY. LA however, needs to hire more police officers I think.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,618,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
William Bratton (not Brennan) was the guy I was talking about in post 12 lol. Hopefully he does for LA what he did for NY. LA however, needs to hire more police officers I think.
Yes, Bratton is well-liked here & has done a very good job so that the crime rate contines to decline when other large cities are seeing increses in crime. Bratton & the mayor have pledged for 1000 more police officers.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,958,031 times
I'm surprised all those people on CD from Houston and Atlanta aren't adding their input on this, since apparently they've most of them have lived in NYC before lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.