Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2007, 11:25 AM

788 posts, read 4,068,020 times

Advertisements

In your experience, what are some mid-sized cities, or large towns that are very walkable? I need a place with 1+ community college(s). Or, I suppose a place within 30-40 mins. of a community college (I teach at this leavel).

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 11:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Wheaton and Glen Ellyn, IL sound about right. College of DuPage is right next door and is a wonderful CC. Glen Ellyn and Wheaton are also highly regarded towns that have walkable areas.

Madison, WI is another good choice.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks, Steve-o. I am going to check those places out.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:27 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,549 times
New York City, of course!

The most walkable city in the America, and plenty of community colleges for you to choose.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Scranton (pop. 70,000) and Wilkes-Barre (pop. 40,000) are both becoming very walkable communities as both downtown areas continue to revitalize themselves. Wilkes-Barre is about 15 minutes away from Luzerne County Community College, and Scranton is home to Keystone College, Lackawanna College, Johnson College, ITT Tech, and Allied Medical School for Associate's Degrees. Bethlehem, PA (pop. 70,000) may also be a good fit for you, and it's likewise undergoing a healthy renaissance.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Scranton (pop. 70,000) and Wilkes-Barre (pop. 40,000) are both becoming very walkable communities as both downtown areas continue to revitalize themselves. Wilkes-Barre is about 15 minutes away from Luzerne County Community College, and Scranton is home to Keystone College, Lackawanna College, Johnson College, ITT Tech, and Allied Medical School for Associate's Degrees. Bethlehem, PA (pop. 70,000) may also be a good fit for you, and it's likewise undergoing a healthy renaissance.
If I remember correctly, Bethlehem PA was one of my "spots" on ****.com. My only concern is the potential for too many gray days (I think we discussed this earlier on another post). I like variety in weather, but if it is gray for a long period of time, then I get depressed. Perhaps Bethlehem is in a sunnier area? Does all of PA experience long bouts of gray?

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2007, 09:48 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,340 times
I'd second New York City; of all walkable places it's the one I hear about the most. Also, San Francisco is walkable too.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:56 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
Give Asheville, NC a look.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:28 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
Perhaps Bethlehem is in a sunnier area? Does all of PA experience long bouts of gray?
In general, PA is a cloudy state. Some cities are cloudier than others. I believe Scranton and Pittsburgh in the NE and SW corners of the state respectively are the two cloudiest. I wouldn't call it "long bouts" of gray; we're not at all like Seattle where you could have drizzle on-and-off for a month at a time. However, cycles of drizzle/clouds for up to a week at a time aren't unheard of. Generally, though, we don't get more than three or four overcast days in a row. Besides, having those cloudy days around helps you to appreciate the sunshine more when it does make a comeback!

Old 03-31-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
In general, PA is a cloudy state. Some cities are cloudier than others. I believe Scranton and Pittsburgh in the NE and SW corners of the state respectively are the two cloudiest. I wouldn't call it "long bouts" of gray; we're not at all like Seattle where you could have drizzle on-and-off for a month at a time. However, cycles of drizzle/clouds for up to a week at a time aren't unheard of. Generally, though, we don't get more than three or four overcast days in a row. Besides, having those cloudy days around helps you to appreciate the sunshine more when it does make a comeback!
Oh, that's not bad at all. I think I was envisioning more Seattle-like weather.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.