Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:59 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

I do! That year was amazing up here in Toronto.

*In February we had almost no days below freezing, lots of rain

*In March we still had some days of snow cover, but afternoons stayed between 40-70 F

*In early April it was in the 60's and low 70 F's which caused the leaves to start popping out.

*For the rest of April our highs were consistantly in the mid 70's to low 90's. My fellow classmates were hot almost every lunch since they send everyone outdoors for recess. I bragged that my pool was already open in the middle of April and heated to 85 F. (not that it need much heat )

*May was in the 80's to low or mid 90's, maybe a day or two into the high 70's. (hardly noticeable)

*June, July and August were consistantly in the mid 80's to 90's

*September was in the 70's and 80's. Practically every kid at school wore shorts and t-shirts for the entire month

*Summer continued up to mid October, with highs between the mid 60's to high 70's. After that it cooled to normal fall weather.

The reason I ask is that it was obviously exceptionally warm; the warmest year of my life by far and no one I talk to seems to remember it. I'm thinking there's got to be some other parts of North America that had wacky weather at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 09:09 AM

49 posts, read 68,599 times
1990? I can't remember yesterday

Old 04-05-2007, 10:09 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
I remember to summer of 2000, the temperature in Houston was over 110 at times with heat index near 120!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a nightmare!!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:20 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
I don't remember 1990, but I do remember the summer of 1995, in which a heatwave killed quite literally hundreds of people. THAT was a miserable summer.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:53 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Thumbs down The humidity was awful-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I do! That year was amazing up here in Toronto.

*In February we had almost no days below freezing, lots of rain

*In March we still had some days of snow cover, but afternoons stayed between 40-70 F

*In early April it was in the 60's and low 70 F's which caused the leaves to start popping out.

*For the rest of April our highs were consistantly in the mid 70's to low 90's. My fellow classmates were hot almost every lunch since they send everyone outdoors for recess. I bragged that my pool was already open in the middle of April and heated to 85 F. (not that it need much heat )

*May was in the 80's to low or mid 90's, maybe a day or two into the high 70's. (hardly noticeable)

*June, July and August were consistantly in the mid 80's to 90's

*September was in the 70's and 80's. Practically every kid at school wore shorts and t-shirts for the entire month

*Summer continued up to mid October, with highs between the mid 60's to high 70's. After that it cooled to normal fall weather.

The reason I ask is that it was obviously exceptionally warm; the warmest year of my life by far and no one I talk to seems to remember it. I'm thinking there's got to be some other parts of North America that had wacky weather at the time.
I was living in NY suburbs at the time. The heat was horrible.

sunny

Old 04-05-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I was living in NY suburbs at the time. The heat was horrible.

sunny
Do you remember how long it lasted, like when summer started and finished?

Up here, we did have our fair share of hot days, perhaps 30 days into the 90's, but overall most people here seemed to enjoy how summer lasted from mid April to mid October.

That's like 180 days of summer with only maybe 50 of them being quite hot, leaving about 130 days of weather that's warm but not excessively hot; almost unheard of in Canada.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:23 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
*For the rest of April our highs were consistantly in the mid 70's to low 90's. My fellow classmates were hot almost every lunch since they send everyone outdoors for recess. I bragged that my pool was already open in the middle of April and heated to 85 F. (not that it need much heat )*September was in the 70's and 80's. Practically every kid at school wore shorts and t-shirts for the entire month
LOL! In Alabama, if temps were in the 70s we'd all be running for sweatshirts. And temps in the low 90s is just getting a little warm. Personally, I like my pool water about 92 degrees!!!

Old 04-05-2007, 08:29 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
LOL! In Alabama, if temps were in the 70s we'd all be running for sweatshirts. And temps in the low 90s is just getting a little warm. Personally, I like my pool water about 92 degrees!!!
That's not true! Ive been in Alabama and it was right chilly in early Spring. Only mid 60s.

It can very cold in the South in the winter. Its just not as cold as long as it is in the North.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:22 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Smile usually-

Quote:
Do you remember how long it lasted, like when summer started and finished?

Up here, we did have our fair share of hot days, perhaps 30 days into the 90's, but overall most people here seemed to enjoy how summer lasted from mid April to mid October.

That's like 180 days of summer with only maybe 50 of them being quite hot, leaving about 130 days of weather that's warm but not excessively hot; almost unheard of in Canada.
May to August in NY is summer- The humidity was worse certain years however. Strange. I cant stand the heat and would probably love to live in Seattle or Quebec, even.

sunny

Old 04-06-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Most people in Canada wear t-shirts and shorts when it's warm enough that they can wear them, not because they're hot and actually need the shorter sleeves. Do people in Alabama do that?

When I was a kid, I went to school dressed like that as long as the mornings were in the mid 50's; I could tough out about 10-15 minutes of cold before I could enter the classroom, and by the next recess it was in the 60's, so I'd have no problem the rest of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.