Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,754 times

Advertisements

It is unfortunate that we allow the restaurant industry that must screw their employees on wages and hold society accountable for paying their employees. Since we do, I developed a system I follow while dining out.(which I do between 150 and 200 times a year as I am a road warrior)

I start with a maximum tip of 33%. Each time I have to "flag" a waiter/waitress down(instead of making eye contact) to request something, 10% is subtracted the first time, and the tip automatically goes to 10% total if it happens again. Lack of attention to details subtracts percentage points 2 at a time. They can add percentage points, up to the 33% max, by the manner in which I observe them treating others(if it is noticed) and how they perform under "stressful" situations such as food improperly cooked, dropped food, wrong orders, etc.

Additionally, if I noticed exemplary service, I will put a token 10% tip on the credit card, and make the balance in cash.(with the knowledge that some restaurants report the tips as wages, when they know about them)

THIS IS A SERVICE BUSINESS, IF YOUR PERFORMANCE IS LESS THAN STELLAR EXPECT TO BE COMPENSATED ACCORDINGLY. IF YOU DON'T ENJOY TAKING CARE OF PEOPLE, CHANGE JOBS.file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/TIM%7E1.LYN/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 11:39 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
That's pretty precise. When I dine out I try not to fill my head with that type of stuff, so the tip is very much a result of the overall experience and calculated based on individual issue. Sometimes if a server is double or triple sat and the restaurant is understaffed, there may be a reason why he/she had to be flagged down. If I must flag a server down, I prefer to see how they respond (do the acknowledge that I needed to flag them down and adapt accordingly) to situations (especially if it's something out of their hands) to see what the tip will be. Seeing as my girlfriend has been a fine-dining server for years, she is sure to let me know what is or isn't out of our server's hands.

That being said, I have a simple system. I have a $5 minimum tipping policy. This means that if I go to some cheap breakfast place and my tab comes to $6 or $7, the percentage system goes out the window and they get at least $5. To me, this is common courtesy. If a server works and spends time with you, the tip should be reflective of the service, not the cost of what was ordered. Of course, if service (anywhere) is COMPLETELY miserable, there may be no tip at all. This has only happened one time. It was at a somewhat upscale restaurant and we were sat by the hostess and sat for 15 minutes. While we were sitting there, two servers stood right next to the table and argued about who was "taking us" with our eventual server saying, "I don't want them, you take them." (this was 5 feet away from us). We ordered a bottle of wine and waited about 40 minutes before the manager walked over with the wrong wine (we ordered a pino grigio, we were brought a porto!). We promptly asked for the bill and decided to go elsewhere. Our server recieved no tip for being rude, unattentive, and quite frankly, unpresentable (missing teeth, greasy hair, wrinkled/unkempt shirt... all on a 20 something year old guy). He didn't deserve a tip.

That being said, I don't put a cap on a tip either. Sometimes servers face significant adversity and respond VERY well. A server of ours once got triple sat, had an 8-top, and a kitchen that messed up not only our orders (my "medium rare" wagyu beef steak was charred black in the middle) , but the orders of the tables next to us too. The table next to use was rude beyond belief but she kept a stiff upper lip in an unbearably difficult situation. She not only corrected our orders but made sure we had water, full drinks, and even extra appatizers while we waited. She did this for all of the tables. The issues faced by here were the result of a new hostess and a slow/behind kitchen. Towards the end of the meal, I overheard the "rude" table saying they wouldn't tip her because it was a terrible experience (and it was). I took a best guess at their bill and tipped for them as well as for our table since it was inappropriate not to tip her. I paid close to two 30% tips. She ran after us as we were leaving the restaurant and broke into tears and gave my girlfriend and myself a big hug and explained the situation and thanked us profusely for our understanding. We returned a few weeks later and she recognized us and sat us in her section. We ended up only paying for a bottle of wine (and what the tip would have been) for a 4 course meal because she felt "she owed it to us" (she didn't pay for the food either).

Anyway, it varies on each particular situation. For me, there's too much that goes into service to put restraints and formulas into it.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:50 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
I always tip at least 15%, even if the service isn't great. Most restaurants purposesly pay servers low wages because they expect them to get tips, so I feel bad if I don't tip well. If the server does really well, I'll tip more. But I never go less.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:49 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times
I pretty much tip at 15% or whatever close percentage puts the bill at a whole round number or .50 (e.g. $25 or $25.50). Unless the service was fantastic, or the server was a complete ass.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:29 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Default I agree with the $5 minimum..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
That's pretty precise. When I dine out I try not to fill my head with that type of stuff, so the tip is very much a result of the overall experience and calculated based on individual issue. Sometimes if a server is double or triple sat and the restaurant is understaffed, there may be a reason why he/she had to be flagged down. If I must flag a server down, I prefer to see how they respond (do the acknowledge that I needed to flag them down and adapt accordingly) to situations (especially if it's something out of their hands) to see what the tip will be. Seeing as my girlfriend has been a fine-dining server for years, she is sure to let me know what is or isn't out of our server's hands.

That being said, I have a simple system. I have a $5 minimum tipping policy. This means that if I go to some cheap breakfast place and my tab comes to $6 or $7, the percentage system goes out the window and they get at least $5. To me, this is common courtesy. If a server works and spends time with you, the tip should be reflective of the service, not the cost of what was ordered. Of course, if service (anywhere) is COMPLETELY miserable, there may be no tip at all. This has only happened one time. It was at a somewhat upscale restaurant and we were sat by the hostess and sat for 15 minutes. While we were sitting there, two servers stood right next to the table and argued about who was "taking us" with our eventual server saying, "I don't want them, you take them." (this was 5 feet away from us). We ordered a bottle of wine and waited about 40 minutes before the manager walked over with the wrong wine (we ordered a pino grigio, we were brought a porto!). We promptly asked for the bill and decided to go elsewhere. Our server recieved no tip for being rude, unattentive, and quite frankly, unpresentable (missing teeth, greasy hair, wrinkled/unkempt shirt... all on a 20 something year old guy). He didn't deserve a tip.

That being said, I don't put a cap on a tip either. Sometimes servers face significant adversity and respond VERY well. A server of ours once got triple sat, had an 8-top, and a kitchen that messed up not only our orders (my "medium rare" wagyu beef steak was charred black in the middle) , but the orders of the tables next to us too. The table next to use was rude beyond belief but she kept a stiff upper lip in an unbearably difficult situation. She not only corrected our orders but made sure we had water, full drinks, and even extra appatizers while we waited. She did this for all of the tables. The issues faced by here were the result of a new hostess and a slow/behind kitchen. Towards the end of the meal, I overheard the "rude" table saying they wouldn't tip her because it was a terrible experience (and it was). I took a best guess at their bill and tipped for them as well as for our table since it was inappropriate not to tip her. I paid close to two 30% tips. She ran after us as we were leaving the restaurant and broke into tears and gave my girlfriend and myself a big hug and explained the situation and thanked us profusely for our understanding. We returned a few weeks later and she recognized us and sat us in her section. We ended up only paying for a bottle of wine (and what the tip would have been) for a 4 course meal because she felt "she owed it to us" (she didn't pay for the food either).

Anyway, it varies on each particular situation. For me, there's too much that goes into service to put restraints and formulas into it.
...as this is a very appropriate thing to do; if you go into a coffee shop, order a $10 breakfast, and stay up to an hour, then you should leave at least a $5 tip. As Obama mentioned in his campaign, "it's part of being a good neighbor".

Of course, tipping is also a function of the time you spent at the table, and not just the amount of the bill. If your dinner bill comes to $30, but you linger around for 2-3 hours, then you should certainly leave more than $5.Being frugal with car payments or mortgages is admirable; being cheap with waitresses is just being a miser.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:33 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,490,725 times
That is the stupidest system that I have ever heard of in my entire life

You are dining out to enjoy a dinner

Not to play a game of how much you are going to tip the server

Old 05-22-2009, 05:44 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
That is the stupidest system that I have ever heard of in my entire life

You are dining out to enjoy a dinner

Not to play a game of how much you are going to tip the server
It does ensure better and friendlier service (exceptions abound definitely though). It gives the waiter an incentive as opposed to not caring because of a flat hourly wage.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:22 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
My brother almost never tips. Not that I dine out with him that often, but when I have, I chide him for being a cheapo & I pony up the difference. He says he shouldn't be the one paying a server's wage - the restaurant should do that. I say, well, then your food bill will go up to cover that. To which he says fine. (Believe me - the day that happens will be the day he stops eating out for good.)

His cheap excuse doesn't wash with me. If I am going to pay forty bucks when all is said and done, I'd rather know that some of my money went right into the apron pocket of my server; rather than into the owner's til. My husband was a restaurant owner - two of them for 18 years. He spoiled his staff, & in turn they spoiled their customers. Patrons leave better tips when they are spoiled. I agree with those of you who don't necessarily tip based on bill amount.

My tip automatically gets shortened if the server is chewing gum (just saw this in a five star, high end restaurant last week!). My tip also becomes less if the server asks "Do you need change back?" If a server is too lazy or ignorant to simply say something like, "I'll run this for you and be right back"...then he doesn't get to hear me say, "that's OK - it's all set". Those words almost always guarantee an excellent tip. Asking if I need change drops it significantly, and I find a diplomatic way to let them know that. Something along the lines of, "I do now".

Old 05-22-2009, 07:41 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Default Clever, but perhaps necessary sometimes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
My brother almost never tips. Not that I dine out with him that often, but when I have, I chide him for being a cheapo & I pony up the difference. He says he shouldn't be the one paying a server's wage - the restaurant should do that. I say, well, then your food bill will go up to cover that. To which he says fine. (Believe me - the day that happens will be the day he stops eating out for good.)

His cheap excuse doesn't wash with me. If I am going to pay forty bucks when all is said and done, I'd rather know that some of my money went right into the apron pocket of my server; rather than into the owner's til. My husband was a restaurant owner - two of them for 18 years. He spoiled his staff, & in turn they spoiled their customers. Patrons leave better tips when they are spoiled. I agree with those of you who don't necessarily tip based on bill amount.

My tip automatically gets shortened if the server is chewing gum (just saw this in a five star, high end restaurant last week!). My tip also becomes less if the server asks "Do you need change back?" If a server is too lazy or ignorant to simply say something like, "I'll run this for you and be right back"...then he doesn't get to hear me say, "that's OK - it's all set". Those words almost always guarantee an excellent tip. Asking if I need change drops it significantly, and I find a diplomatic way to let them know that. Something along the lines of, "I do now".
..I guess that this could be the difference between appreciating a friendly waitress,and being taken for granted.

Last edited by MassVt; 05-22-2009 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-22-2009, 08:16 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
I don't think you should tip according to the cost of the meal. The waiters are still doing the same thing as the waiters working in a lower class restaurant.

Besides I'm black, so it is automatically assumed were not going to tip and just give us below to average services. It's been a couple of times were we actually had great service.

Once me and group of my friends went out to eat at Cheddar's (It was like 10-15 of us) and people were ordering than leaving (Like 6 people left). So we were receiving extra food and drinks. We eventually all chimed in and payed for the extra food and still gave the waiter a big tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.