Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:58 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,676 times

Advertisements

So, what's your neighborhood like? Dense, diverse, rich, or the exact opposite?

I live in a small town. It's suburban by definition, but has been historically independent. The specific neighborhood is largely working class, but more on the poor side. If you drive through, you'll likely find at least two houses on a block of 10 where people sit on the porch all day and night. We occasionally deal with riff-raff from the public housing a few blocks away.

As far as racial makeup, it's >95% black with a few Hispanic households scattered throughout the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:05 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Austin, Chicago- About 90% Black, 5% White, 4% Hispanic
Galewood which is a sub community of Austin is where the diversity is in my community

Old 05-22-2009, 09:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Victoria TX has an old South End, surrounding the original city center and historic district. All new development has been to the north, which is where the malls and country clubs are. The city as a whole is 50% Hispanic, about 7% Black. Here on the South End, where I live, it is probably 80-90% Hispanic and Black. I shop at the South End super market, one of these days I will do a head count.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:26 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Queens (NYC) neighborhoods are like cities within NYC. Most houses/apartments have been in families for generations, so neighbors on a block have usually known one another their whole lives. There's a real sense of community.

I live in a predominantly greek and italian neighborhood. But if you go about 10 blocks, it's Egyptian. Nearly every 10 blocks is a different ethnicity.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:33 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
I live in a dense city outside NYC. The neighborhood has a lot of brownstone rowhouses, 5-6 story apartment buildings and a few mid-high-rise buildings. Historically it has been a middle-class nabe with a pocket of affluence. Gentrification is bringing more money into the nabe.

Based on the businesses located in my neighborhood, it appears it was once heavily Italian and Polish. There are few Italian and Polish people around, but a few bakeries and delis which have been around "forever" have Italian and Polish names, banners, flags. I'd guess that it was by the 1950s or 60s that a large influx of Puerto Ricans and to a lesser extent Dominicans arrived in the nabe. More recently than that, enclaves of Pakistani businesses opened on Grove Street, and Vietnamese businesses on Newark Avenue. Some of these businesses have disappeared, but a few remain.

Today it's hard to identify one ethnic group coming on en masse to change the face of the neighborhood. It seems more multicultural, diverse, etc. now. The population is also more affluent than it has been before. Many people describe gentrification as "whitewashing" a neighborhood, but I think it's coming here in "all colors."

Old 05-22-2009, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,583 times
our town is full of difrent kinds of race... there alot of hispanics few blacks and a few white everywhere you go there is a diffrent race

Old 05-22-2009, 10:36 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
I live in a normal middle class neighborhood. It's not all that diverse. Out of 21 houses on my block, there are three Hispanic families, one black family, one Filipino family, and one Greek/Hispanic family to give you an idea. There are several parks and lakes within a few blocks. People know each other pretty well because everyone goes to the parks in the evening and we hang out at the neighborhood pool in the summer. It's not dense, but you can walk to a few restaurants and other businesses.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:56 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
I think my neighborhood is something like 85% white, 6% hispanic, 4% asian, 3% black, and than 2% other races. My little section of the neighborhood is mostly white but theres alot of Hispanic and Black families too.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:10 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Detroit, Northwest fringe. Middle class, around 90% Black(Bor-ring), mostly families and elderly. Pretty unremarkable place besides being so peaceful and harmonious in such a city.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
I'm in a new neighborhood now (in Boston) so I can't get a good read on it at the moment, but my street seems pretty diverse. Many more families than I expected given the proximity to colleges.

My old neighborhood in Portland, ME was lilly white. We had a couple down the street who may have been Hispanic, but I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.