Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,432 times

Advertisements

Ok, so as a new student entering college a few years back (ok more than a few years) my mom was talking with the financial aid office personnel and was asked "Is your daughter hispanic?" Clearly, my German ancestry has come through with my blonde hair, blue eyes, and very fair skin. My mom's last name is from my stepfather, Gonzalez, who has raised me since before I can even remember. My mother replies, "Oh no Gonzalez is her stepfather's last name. Why?" The sweet lady in the financial aid office proceeded to explain to my mother that if I had been Mexican that I could get free money for school. Not only did that **** my mother off but myself as well. So, fast forwarding 10 years and I am wondering "Why shouldn't I be able to claim that I am Mexican?" I have been raised in all of the tradition, food, and culture of Mexico by my father. Yes, I call him my Dad not stepfather because that's what he is...my Dad. As I am filling out job applications and other financial aid applications for college I am wondering the simple question of "Can I be considered Mexican?" OR "Can I be considered on an application as American Indian?" My mom's grandmother (my great-grandmother) was 100% Blackfoot Indian. I am very lost in what do I consider myself on all of these forms? Better yet, how can I greatly benefit but at the same time not lying? Any ideas or answers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 11:12 AM

785 posts, read 1,050,241 times
I don't think that you can put hispanic because ,although he may be like a dad to you, your stepdad still isn't your blood relative. However, you could put down that you are native american because the race is in your blood. Technically you would fit in the mixed race category because you are part white part native american.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:01 PM

573 posts, read 2,506,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
I don't think that you can put hispanic because ,although he may be like a dad to you, your stepdad still isn't your blood relative. However, you could put down that you are native american because the race is in your blood. Technically you would fit in the mixed race category because you are part white part native american.
I think you have to have proof that you have native american blood though. Although don't know how you'd go about doing that. And no, you can't put down that you're hispanic.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,195 times
OK, now wait a tic here, this is really confusing...race is about colour, so whatever colour you are that's your race. "Ethnicity has to do with culture. You can be a white Hispanic male/female. or a black Hispanic male/female. so whatever colour you are, that's your race. Your ethnicity is Hispanic." that's how it was explained to me. I was born a white blond to two 4th generation Mexican parents, as a got older my hair gradually turned super dark almost black brown and i was told i would be considered Hispanic...so to you, I would consider you Hispanic, but not Latin or Mexican(people usually don't know that Latin, Hispanic, and Mexican, are very separate things.) I guess people cant deal with blond Hispanics because of all the stereotypes

Old 09-16-2009, 03:13 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
I think you have to have proof that you have native american blood though. Although don't know how you'd go about doing that. And no, you can't put down that you're hispanic.
hmmmmm, wouldnt a DNA test take care of that? I know African-Americans have testing available to tell them what parts of Africa their ancestors came from......

Old 09-16-2009, 03:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
My situation is somewhat similar.

I'm half Puerto Rican and half white. I know being Puerto Rican you're already mixed with the Indians that were originally there and possibly Europeans, Africans, or both. Being that Puerto Rico is considered part of the US now (and already part of America) does that mean I'm part Native American?

I have black hair, dark brown eyes, and olive/tan skin though so it's not as hard for people to see me as Hispanic as it is for you. I was raised in a house with mostly the white side of my family though but my neighborhood had a lot of Hispanics and I know some Spanish.

I'm around the same age as you (late 20s) and I still haven't figured all this out. I guess technically I'm a mixed race (with native American) Hispanic. It's always confusing filling out forms.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:37 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
My situation is somewhat similar.

I'm half Puerto Rican and half white. I know being Puerto Rican you're already mixed with the Indians that were originally there and possibly Europeans, Africans, or both. Being that Puerto Rico is considered part of the US now (and already part of America) does that mean I'm part Native American?

I have black hair, dark brown eyes, and olive/tan skin though so it's not as hard for people to see me as Hispanic as it is for you. I was raised in a house with mostly the white side of my family though but my neighborhood had a lot of Hispanics and I know some Spanish.

I'm around the same age as you (late 20s) and I still haven't figured all this out. I guess technically I'm a mixed race (with native American) Hispanic. It's always confusing filling out forms.
Puerto Rico became part of the US in 1917 if I am not mistaking. No you are not part Native American unless you have a family member that is Native American.

Well Puerto Ricans are made up of Blacks (Africans) Whites (Spain) Indian (Taino). So your Taino side shows up more than the rest.

More info on Taino Indians.
Taino Indian Culture

Old 09-16-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysta199 View Post
Ok, so as a new student entering college a few years back (ok more than a few years) my mom was talking with the financial aid office personnel and was asked "Is your daughter hispanic?" Clearly, my German ancestry has come through with my blonde hair, blue eyes, and very fair skin. My mom's last name is from my stepfather, Gonzalez, who has raised me since before I can even remember. My mother replies, "Oh no Gonzalez is her stepfather's last name. Why?" The sweet lady in the financial aid office proceeded to explain to my mother that if I had been Mexican that I could get free money for school. Not only did that **** my mother off but myself as well. So, fast forwarding 10 years and I am wondering "Why shouldn't I be able to claim that I am Mexican?" I have been raised in all of the tradition, food, and culture of Mexico by my father. Yes, I call him my Dad not stepfather because that's what he is...my Dad. As I am filling out job applications and other financial aid applications for college I am wondering the simple question of "Can I be considered Mexican?" OR "Can I be considered on an application as American Indian?" My mom's grandmother (my great-grandmother) was 100% Blackfoot Indian. I am very lost in what do I consider myself on all of these forms? Better yet, how can I greatly benefit but at the same time not lying? Any ideas or answers?
I hear what you are saying. However in order for you to be Mexican. You need a family member that is your blood to be Mexican, or else you would want to make yourself a citizen of Mexico, which I do not think you would want that. I understand that you feel like if you were Mexican because you have been raised the Mexican way. However you are not Mexican.

Wow so your school financial aid lady thought that all Hispanics are Mexicans. Not good. I get vexed all the times when people think all Hispanics are Mexicans.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:29 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Puerto Rico became part of the US in 1917 if I am not mistaking. No you are not part Native American unless you have a family member that is Native American.

Well Puerto Ricans are made up of Blacks (Africans) Whites (Spain) Indian (Taino). So your Taino side shows up more than the rest.

More info on Taino Indians.
Taino Indian Culture
Well, my question is if Taino Indians are considered Native Americans. America includes North, Central, and South America so it would include Puerto Rico. Unless they are just specifically talking about the land the current US covers as "America". Or more specifically the continental US.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Well, my question is if Taino Indians are considered Native Americans. America includes North, Central, and South America so it would include Puerto Rico. Unless they are just specifically talking about the land the current US covers as "America". Or more specifically the continental US.
You may be right

Indigenous peoples of the Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.