Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:18 AM

47 posts, read 104,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Can you take a couple of weeks to visit different parts of the U.S. and get a feel for them?
In the past years I visited California (from San Francisco to OC), Nevada, Arizona, Florida, New england, New York City. Never been in Texas, even if I'd like...

In my trips I loved California (everywhere) but also Florida, on the Gulf of Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yes, a lot of people think you can't get much more than a cottage in CA for that price when in reality, you certainly can, away from the pretentious areas.?
Sure I can figure out that living in a 3bdr/3bthr 2500sqft in SoMa in SF will cost "a bit"... actually for me would be great living in a small city/town with maybe cheaper houses prices near a great city like SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBS View Post
Oh, Original Poster, now it's clear!

You said, a beautiful country, but with some serious issues! :| More than 60%-70% of our salary goes to taxes... the cost of live is higher every day... and Italian people is getting crazier every day passing...
If that bothers you, than coming to America will disappoint you.

Between local, state, Federal, Social Security, Medicare, our tax rate is about 50%

Add on top of that sales taxes, and the possibility of "Cap and Trade" , and other Government means of stealing money, we'll more than likely take the top honors.

As a fellow Italian ( Own a house in Bari ), America is GREAT, but it's changing RAPIDLY, and I'm preparing my future should she fall.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
If that bothers you, than coming to America will disappoint you.

Between local, state, Federal, Social Security, Medicare, our tax rate is about 50%
The problem is... in Italy the 60-70% of taxes is JUST salary tax (look for "studi di settore")... then you have to add real estate tax (ICI), taxes on other incomes (es. rentals), sales taxes, mandatory car insurance, other insurances... wanna talk about oil price in Italy? About 3-4 times than in USA...). I'm not saying tha USA is better than every other place, but TRUST ME, it's better than Italy, and this is not hard...

However, I'm not here to talk about my motivation in moving away from Italy... but it's a long list, and economic issues are just some of the hundreds...!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:26 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
of course... actually visiting Yahoo Real Estate or Trulia.com I saw that real estate prices aren't so awful in CA... sure, higher than Texas or Georgia, but with 700,000 $ I saw nice houses, not only cottages!

BergenCountyJohnny, thank you for the summary you gave me!
Well I looke on Realtor.com and typed in Santa Barbara.The only house that came up was that one with the criteria.With every area even with a city like Atlanta,the prices can be tremendous span just 10-20 minutes from each other.Just look at the average home price for major cities and that will give you a better idea.
http://www.realtor.org/wps/wcm/connect/c39d96804e10820bb8d5ffec21680fb0/REL09Q1S.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=c39d96804e10820bb 8d5ffec21680fb0 (broken link)

This is by each state.You can also look for each city.Its still a major difference.Yes people do tend to promote their areas.Mainly because they know more about them.However none of the things I said were untrue.I was very factual.
I have live in New Jersey, Pennsylvania,Delaware,Denver Colorado(also a nice cit,buy you said you mind cold),San Antonio and Wichita Falls Texas(1hour north of Dallas),Madison,Wisconsin,Chicago,Ill and Atlanta.My opinions are based off of those and the friends that live in those areas.I have been to many other places ,but the ones I mentioned are pretty realistic with the exceptions I mentioned.

California is the place,but it is VERY expensive.Some say its worth it,some do not.You just have to way the pro's and cons.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:35 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,197 times
Quote:
The problem is... in Italy the 60-70% of taxes is JUST salary tax (look for "studi di settore")... then you have to add real estate tax (ICI), taxes on other incomes (es. rentals), sales taxes, mandatory car insurance, other insurances... wanna talk about oil price in Italy? About 3-4 times than in USA...). I'm not saying tha USA is better than every other place, but TRUST ME, it's better than Italy, and this is not hard...

However, I'm not here to talk about my motivation in moving away from Italy... but it's a long list, and economic issues are just some of the hundreds...!

No I hear you. If you are going to come to America, try California.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:39 PM

594 posts, read 1,200,016 times
Like I said, Move to New Jersey, that will best fit you!
You're either close to NYC or Philly - 5 min depending on which side.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Hi!

My name is Francesco, I'm 23 and I live in Brescia, in the Northern Italy.

Our project (mine an my parents') is relocating in USA in the next years. We have contacts in Texas and California who could help us with the immigration lawyer and we hope to leave Italy in some years.

I'm posting here cause I have no idea about where could be the best place for us. We go in USA every year on vacation, but visiting a place is different from living in the same place.

We live in Brescia, a small city between hills and the Garda lake. Our dream is California, but I know that it's very expensive. Actually we like USA everywhere!
About the job... I'm going to take a Master of Science in electronics engineer and my dad has a degree in computer science.

What do you think? What is the best combination of engineers job availability and good living condition?

Thank you and best regards.
Greetings from Italy!
Hear is an article from Kiplinge'rs,a well respected national business journal.Many of the cities I mentioned are in the Top Ten or top 20.
Kiplinger's Complete City Rankings for 2009: See How Your City Ranks, Search Places for Lowest Cost of Living and Higest Income Growth
hear are just the top 10.
1)Huntsville, Alabama(NASA is there)
2)Albuquerque,New Mexico
3)Washington D.C.
4)Charlottesville,Virginia
5)Athens,Georgia
6)Olympia,Washington
7)Madison,Wisconsin
8)Austin,Texas
9)Flagstaff, Arizona
10)Raleigh-Durham North Carolina

This a List of the most popular cities for recent college graduates.From Career Cast
Jobs Rated -- A comprehensive ranking of the best and worst jobs
    • 1. New York, NY
    • 2. Washington, D.C.
    • 3. Los Angeles, CA
    • 4. Boston, MA
    • 5. San Francisco, CA
[LEFT]
    • 6. Chicago, IL
[/LEFT]
    • 7. Denver, CO
    • 8. Seattle, WA
    • 9. Atlanta, GA
    • 10. San Diego, CA
These came from a website called "Inside Tech"http://www.insidetech.com/benefits/a...ch-jobs?page=2

1)Austin(no surprise,Headquarters for Dell Computers as I mentioned in an Earlier post.
2)Washington D.C.
3)Denver,CO
4)Boston,MA
5)Houston,TX
6)Raleigh,NC
7)Dallas,TX
8)Seattle,Washington
9)San Antonio,TX
10)Pittsburgh,PA
11)Oklahoma City,OK
12)Honolulu,HI
13)Portland,OR
14)Columbus,OH
15)Orlando,FL
16)New York,NY
17)Nashville,TN
18)Salt Lake City
19)Rochester,NY
20)Philadelphia,PA
21)Charlotte,NC
22)San Diego,CA
23)Kansas City,MO
24)San Francisco,CA
25)Cincinnati,OH

C.I.O rankings for "techies or Geeks"
CIO.com - Business Technology Leadership - Geek America: The Top 10 U.S. Cities for Technology Jobs - 1. New York Metro Area
1.New York City
2.Washington D.C.
3.San Jose
4.Boston
5.Dallas
6.Los Angeles
7.Chicago
8.Philadelphia
9.Seattle
10.Atlanta
Of course there are many different list that are out there.They all have different results,but usually the cities that are in the top don't change much and are interchangeable.
I have several friends here in the Tech industry.They all say its considerably slower everywhere in the U.S.California seems to be hit kinda hard,but i'm sure there is still much opportunity throughout the west.You might like Phoenix as well.Rapidly growing city.Mild winters,and youthful population.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:23 AM

Thank you for the rankings!

I've heard about Phoenix and it seems to me a cute city... but I think it could became VERY hot in summer... isn't it? Also Albuquerque could be considered... maybe have the same "temperature issue"... but, as I said, I can afford hot temperature, better than cold winters!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:05 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:

I've heard about Phoenix and it seems to me a cute city... but I think it could became VERY hot in summer... isn't it? Also Albuquerque could be considered... maybe have the same "temperature issue"... but, as I said, I can afford hot temperature, better than cold winters!
Albuquerque's weather is excellent. It doesn't get as hot as Phoenix, but it's still desert, but it's "high desert" - it's higher altitude so it doesn't get as hot as a place like Phoenix. Their winters are VERY mild and very comfortable. My first time there, it snowed. But their snow is only an inch or two, and they have no problem with it. In a day it was gone, and the temperature was not freezing cold at all. The summers are very hot but not unbearable like Phoenix (and I love Phoenix, but I admit their summers are unbearable.

If I were going to pick up and move away from NJ, I would consider the following places:
- Los Angeles
- Las Vegas
- Reno, NV
- Albuquerque, NM
- Austin, TX
- San Diego, CA
- Phoenix, AZ
- St. George, UT
- Salt Lake City, UT
- West Palm Beach, FL

That's my list, pretty much in order of preference. Notice how high up on my list Albuquerque is. After seeing the list from Kiplingers that another poster put up, which says that Albuquerque is the #2 city for low cost of living with growing salaries, that might make me choose it over the others.

If you live in Albuquerque you will have a unique experience in a truly beautiful place. You will see diverse nature, the likes of which you won't see pretty much anywhere else in the world. You will be a little isolated, but if you're up for a few road trips, you have Phoenix and denver each about 6 hours away. Better yet, you can get some short, cheap flights to L.A., Vegas, and other places that aren't too far. I highly recommend Albuquerque.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:

No problem.
BergenCountyJohnny is right, I liked it when i was lived there for work (Albuquerque).But i did not love it.However,the city of Santa Fe nearby(1.5hrs),I LOVED it.Very historic and culturally rich tourist city.Native American culture abounds there.You might love it too.The ski resorts of Taos are not to far either.Beautiful culture,art,and outdoor recreation.It is a somewhat of a small city but it is very upscale with many wealthy people and can be on the expensive side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.