Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,311 times

Advertisements

If all of you would step back for a moment, and do some real research you would discover that skin cancer is genetic...meaning if you have a genetic marker for skin cancer than you have about a 99% chance of getting skin cancer at some point in your life, and if you don't have a genetic marker for skin cancer you will not get skin cancer. You look at all the statistics and than you come up with rediculous ways to justify your own opinions Hopefully no one will listen to your opinions about staying out of the sun. Why don't you stay in your house for a month with no uv exposure, I quarantee you will feel the worst you have ever felt in you life. The sun/uv light is responsible for all life on this planet. Get your head out of the sand while you still can. 10 to 15 minutes of uv exsposure every day is the single best thing you can do for yourself. All you have to do is think seriously about evolution for one minute, if the sun was bad for us we wuold have evolved into creatures who lived underground. Please wake up and start thinking for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,178 times
This is YEARS late but it's a long story how I came across it. In case anyone is still wondering...

Idiots in the PNW (I live here) are CONSTANTLY going to tanning salons. There are as many tanning salons around Seattle as there are Starbucks'. And they tend to vacation in HI (there's some kind of connection between WA and HI, I don't get it) and before they go they all "have" to get a "Base tan". And no amount of explaining that base tans are a myth will stop them.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,128 times
So many of my friends I grew up with in Portland, Oregon, are already dead from cancer and I'm only 55 and yet down here in southern california, most people I know my age don't have cancer. People spend all winter indoors without any sun up there, then when summer finally comes, they run out and get burnt.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
I truly don't understand how states like Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, New Hampshire, and Vermont get the highest rates of skin cancer.

Because even in the months where those states get the strongest sun exposure from April to September, the sun rays are strong and adequate for proper sun exposure but not as strong as in most states in the USA like Florida, Arizona, California, Texas where it seems like someone is much more likely to get sunburned and skin cancer.

Last year, I actually got a nice tan in Seattle in the months of May, July, August, and September but without sunburns and I never had to wear sunscreen. Usually, I have to worry about sunburns and always have to put on some sunscreen to protect my skin. I have had intense sunburns in New York state, Florida, Mexico, and Costa Rica before where it seems like I would be more likely to get skin cancer than in Washington state.

Also, states like Washington, and Vermont are rated in the top 10 out of all USA states for well being/healthy lifestyle so how is it possible that states like this can have high rates of skin cancer!?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:58 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,612 times
most people in Oregon I know spend several hours a week, sometimes a day, inside tanning booths to make up for the lack of sunlight. this is why so many of us have that orangeish hue that John Denver remarked on in "rainy forest carrot top"

Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 AM

313 posts, read 450,607 times
Oregon also a huge count of multiple-sclerosis and I have always blamed it on lack of vitamin D. I have never believed that avoiding the sun is necessarily good, unless one is prone to negative skin reactions (which I attribute to a type of weakness or allergy).

I don't think avoiding the sun is healthy, and "pills" are not as good as the real thing. Sure, try to avoid excessive sunburns ~ just don't get fanatical with the sunblock, especially in places like the northwest.

Unlike the poster above me, I don't know anybody who spends time in tanning booths ~ and I know a lot of people.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,925 times
The top four states mentioned above has to do with the number of new cancers, those states New York, Florida, California and Texas have the highest populations.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:57 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
I read that one reason that the pacific northwest has such a high rate of skin cancer is because there are so many tanning beds!
I grew up in the PNW, then attended UNLV. Ironically (from what I observed)... there are more tanning salons in LV than there are in Seattle. People I know in Seattle are more likely to use fake bake/self tanner.

I think one of the other factors is the fact when we do finally have some sun... its sunny til almost 10pm. That's a long time to be baking.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:55 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
They have fairer skin because it's rarely sunny, and when it is sunny (in the middle of June) the intense sun burns their skin, and they don't use lotion. Makes some sense to me.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,836 times
Default Skin cancer

Since the ozone layer prevents most harmful UVB rays, one theory they think and I kind of agree, they are states that have low ozone layers. Also they think it is linked to lack of vitaman D which the sun also produces. Skin cancer happens when cells are damaged from the sun, which Vitaman D helps protect. Places like Washington state, Oregon you get very little of the sun for very long periods. This is just 2 of many theories that make a little since at least to me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.