Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:14 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times

Advertisements

North California?

Or that just a thin strip by the ocean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 05:20 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
North California?

Or that just a thin strip by the ocean?
California isnt humid. At all.
Id say from the ocean to about 25 miles inland(that's home to millions of Californians) the weather is very comfortable.

Well, there is moisture in the air here in the Bay Area but its cold-not hot. We use blankets at night in the summer and no one I know ever really uses AC.

And we don't really get dry heat either. Low 70s for a daytime high with sun and a cool breeze are normal.

You should visit some time.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:03 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I think we're missing the point. The OP needs a place that's affordable and would be a good place for a struggling young person.
Undoubtedly. Though what specific attributes of Europe is she looking for in the U.S.? If it was simply a more "liberal-progressive" character, then I think she'd be satisfied with the West Coast....but she's not. If she wants the more architectural/structural vibe of Europe without hot weather, then she'll need some city in the Northeast or San Francisco. Yet, SF, Boston, NYC, Baltimore, DC are all rather expensive.

Thus, I think she might want to take a look at smaller Northeastern cities like: Portland, ME; Lancaster, PA or the North/South side of Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I don't know much about Minneapolis but my gut tells me it might work out better than high priced est coast cities. Plus it has the cool weather the OP is looking for.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 AM

26 posts, read 71,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It doesn't really get humid out here...
this.

our heat is not humid like florida or east/midwest in the summer

Old 07-31-2009, 10:37 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Miami Beach: Does not look like Europe but has the atmosphere and diversity
New York: huge city, Diverse, great transit (nothing looks like New York and new york just looks like New York nothing compares.
Boston: (England)
Washington DC: Diverse, Great Transit looks like some European cities.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Miami Beach: Does not look like Europe but has the atmosphere and diversity
New York: huge city, Diverse, great transit (nothing looks like New York and new york just looks like New York nothing compares.
Boston: (England)
Washington DC: Diverse, Great Transit looks like some European cities.
I'm not sure diversity is the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about Europe. Most areas (even major cities like Rome and Edinburgh) are about 95% White or more. Even as diverse as London is, it still is 70% White.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:41 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
I have to start out by telling you to stay encouraged. It sounds like you've been going through some stuff but things can get better!

Now, to your post, metros that people have described would not be ideal for someone young, without a college degree, and with anxiety around a lot of people. Sure, they may look European and be great on a postcard, but you actually have to live there not just look at it. Boston, New York, and LA are expensive. With an advanced degree and WITH money those places can be hard adjusting to, let alone without it! Plus, NY is not the place to be without some kind of family or having a network through school or work.

I would suggest smaller towns that have the walkability and charm factor of Europe but that aren't nearly as expensive. Definitely consider some places in the South for affordability and mild temperatures. Three places that come to mind are Charleston, SC, Athens, GA and Savannah, GA. Both pedestrian friendly, don't get extreme weather (no snow storms, for example), way more affordable than big cities, and still have enough to do to not be bored. It does get hot in summers, but with Charleston and Savannah being near the coast, I find it manageable. I really don't know of a place you can go that's affordable where you'll be free from having some kind of AC.

With those cities I mentioned, their location in the Sunbelt is helpful too because that region as a whole has a growing number of young people (Athens, an UBER college town, pretty much exists for the University of Georgia, and the number of college kids there may just inspire you to get your degree, too) and have growing industries. The job market is rough in the South, but since industry is steadily developing in those areas, you can probably find something in the near future. Savannah and Charleston are both near water too, which also adds to the overall charm of the areas.

Good luck sweetheart! Hope things turn out okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFruit View Post
Hey guys.

I'm a 19 year old female looking for a nice place to live in the US.
I was born in Japan, lived there for 4 years then my family moved to California and I've been living here in Cali ever since.

My experience here has not been very great. I only lived in one city I went to public schools which were composed mostly of people of ethnic minorities in which I experienced a lot of racism because I look white although I'm only half, so school was never pleasant and my parents were always indifferent to anything I was going through. (My mother is mentally ill and my father has many problems of his own).

I really really just want to get away from it all. I tried college for a while, I chose an almost all white college and I was in for a huge culture shock because I was never in my life around white people. (I know, how weird). All I had to do was be near someone and they'd want to start a conversation with me. Everybody I passed would smile. I'm use to being either ignored or insulted so this was like being on another planet. I left college the first week because I just wasn't ready for it (I have anxiety around people, plus I had no money so I don't know what I was thinking) also I really find it tough to handle school work. I always had a hard time in school so I decided I'm just going to go through life with only a HS diploma and maybe sometime in the future I'll get a college education because I eventually (maybe) want to immigrate to Europe. (Hopefully Sweden Or Germany). The UK seems appealing also.

Right now I still live with my Mom and Dad in a small dingy apartment (the same one for 15 years) which is too embarrassing to describe.
My parents are the ghetto-est people on earth and I'm completely opposite them.

I've been searching all these different places on google maps, city-data and wikipedia in hopes of finding a great place to move but I haven't found anything suitable yet. (I've never actually been to another state and I don't have family in any of them so I can only go off what I find online).

I want to feel like I'm in Europe and St. Paul MN looks like they have a lot of Swedish and German influence which I find very appealing! However I can't stand heat. (I would like to find a place where I won't ever have to use air conditioning). I was looking at Spokane WA too but the crime rates are too high. My Mom said to move to Pennsylvania because that's where she grew up and I like the idea of living in the East but still, there are so many other places that I could move to and the weather there is probably too hot anyways.

I don't know if I want to move to a city or a town, I definitely do not like areas that look very industrial but I think I'm kind of stuck living in cities because I only have a HS diploma. I don't know how to drive so any place I move to definitely needs to have busses to get around. Walmarts and Targets are great too. I will be completely on my own for the first time and I need to be able to support myself so I guess I could become a waitress or something.

I would really appreciate any place suggestions.
Thanks very much for reading.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:43 PM

98 posts, read 284,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFruit View Post
I don't know if I want to move to a city or a town, I definitely do not like areas that look very industrial but I think I'm kind of stuck living in cities because I only have a HS diploma. I don't know how to drive so any place I move to definitely needs to have busses to get around. Walmarts and Targets are great too. I will be completely on my own for the first time and I need to be able to support myself so I guess I could become a waitress or something.
You had me until all the talk about Walmarts and Targets and this and that and how they are great and everything.

DC is probably what you are looking for. But you could also go to a place where they shun eye-contact, but not sure where that would be in America. Americans are very fond of eye-contact. Eye-contact rules.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:47 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Euro flavor?
Try Boston or Portland, ME.

The true European match on the North American continent would be Quebec City, the oldest European settlement.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:02 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
You should check out Providence, Rhode Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.