Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather study and practice architecture?
Washington DC 7 41.18%
New York City 10 58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 25,463 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am an architecture student having a hard time weighing the pros and cons of studying and practicing architecture in DC or NYC.

The path to becoming an architect is lengthy, so it definitely helps to love your surroundings and to be inspired by them.

What do you think? Where would you rather spend the next 5 to 6 years in school and where would you rather build a career in architecture and real estate development?

New York City or Washington DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 01:25 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
I don't really understand your debate. You can study architecture anywhere there's a good school. I believe Cornell has the best undergrad architecture program in the country, and that's in upstate New York.

I'd worry more about getting your degree rather than the destination on the other side, myself.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I don't really understand your debate. You can study architecture anywhere there's a good school. I believe Cornell has the best undergrad architecture program in the country, and that's in upstate New York.

I'd worry more about getting your degree rather than the destination on the other side, myself.
Thanks for your response. The process of becoming an architect -- from degree to licensure -- is a particularly lengthy one, and I don't think it's unreasonable for me to do some preplanning and decide where I want to spend the next 8 years of my life.

This is a relevant question for many students regardless of degree or field.

So while I appreciate your comment, it has not answered the question.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:31 PM

20 posts, read 19,202 times
You will find much more work and much more varied types of projects in NYC.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:52 PM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Syracuse University also has a very good Architecture School. I don't think you can go wrong with NYC in terms of Architecture. Minneapolis is a good city for Architects too. So is Milwaukee. Here's a good list to check out: http://images.businessweek.com/ss/08...ties/index.htm

Old 08-23-2009, 05:25 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,950 times
In this list the top 2 are schools in NYC. Columbia and Cooper Union.
The USA's best architecture schools in research: 2009 | archsoc.com

Look at Cooper Union

In this list syracuse is in the top 10 undergraduate and columbia is in the top 10 graduate with syracuse as a runner up.
The Top U.S. Architecture Schools

Plus you have all the amazing architecture in the city.
http://www.skyscraperlife.com/city-a...york-city.html

Old 08-23-2009, 06:13 PM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
The USA's best architecture schools in research: 2009 | archsoc.com

Look at Cooper Union

In this list syracuse is in the top 10 undergraduate and columbia is in the top 10 graduate with syracuse as a runner up.
The Top U.S. Architecture Schools

Architecture of New York City - SkyScraperLife
Cornell was top 10 on both lists too.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the helpful information!

I am well aware of Cooper Union and getting into that school is like winning the lottery but it's still on my list of schools to apply to (you never know).

@NYGuido: That's good to know because I would have thought NYC was far more competitive than DC.

Again thanks. If you have any more information, please don't hesitate to share.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
[URL="http://www.archsoc.com/kcas/researchschool4.html"]The USA's best architecture schools in research: 2009 | archsoc.com[/URL]

Look at Cooper Union

[URL="http://www.architectmagazine.com/industry-news.asp?sectionID=1006&articleID=602885"]The Top U.S. Architecture Schools[/URL]

[url=http://www.skyscraperlife.com/city-albums-skyline-photographs/23643-architecture-new-york-city.html]Architecture of New York City - SkyScraperLife[/url]

The ArchSoc website referenced above is run by disgruntled ex-academic Garry Stevens. Unprofessional comments are littered across the site. It has no credibility as a ranking of architecture schools. His quantitative criteria to rank the "Best Architecture Schools" is to count up the number of publications by academics held in libraries such as the RIBA. This is an arbitrary measure that will tell a prospective student next to nothing about the quality of teaching and research in any particular school. The site is entirely unreliable as a guide and should be avoided.

Prospective students deciding which Architecture school to apply for should carefully investigate the research culture and teaching outcomes of any particular school they are interested in.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:04 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
I go to Architecture school in the NYC area and have a friend in D.C. Go to the NYC area. There's a more diverse architectural scene and more new projects in N.Y., although D.C. isn't bad. Philly is also pretty good.

NYC
NJIT, Columbia, Pratt, Copper Union, and Princeton. (I think I'm forgetting one BTW)

Philly
Drexal, Temple, Penn, Philly U.

D.C.
Catholic University (don't know of any others off the top of my head)

Personally, I go to the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT). The New Jersey School of Architecture (NJSOA) is completely different from the rest of NJIT (in fact that's the only program at that school I'd recommend). They get you started in the programs that you will be using to design with while in the field right away. You're near NYC, so you get to take advantage of the various architectural things going on in the city such as exhibitions at museums, the architectural store front exhibit that opened up back in December (not sure if it's still open), etc. You're also a quick light rail ride away from Newark Penn Station where you can catch trains to NYC, Philly, and D.C and all the surrounding architecture colleges where you can attend lectures by various well known architects. This year we have Bernard Tschumi coming to our lecture series. Message me with any questions.

Also, I hope you're aware that you are not going to sleep for about 5 years of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.