Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times

Advertisements

We all shout out "Norm!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:54 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^His professor didn't do this to him. They were just having a discussion about it. I don't see the big deal.
His professor told him that only Italians and Hispanics are the only people that hug and kiss each other as a greeting,

I would be out of the class for one reason, the professor is a moron.

I would not care if his professor hugged him, that would be a personal decision if he wants to then get out of the class.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I would have transferred out of that class immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^His professor didn't do this to him. They were just having a discussion about it. I don't see the big deal.
He always have something to say lol. He makes me laugh lol

Old 09-03-2009, 03:05 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
His professor told him that only Italians and Hispanics are the only people that hug and kiss each other as a greeting,

I would be out of the class for one reason, the professor is a moron.
I assumed that's what you meant and I might agree. It might depend on the subject taught though.

At times educated people have the most curious blind spots. If a math professor said "only Italians and Hispanics hug and kiss each other as a greeting" I might wonder "why is he talking about this?" but it may or may not mean he's fit for the subject. I've seen highly educated film critics who have no idea what the capital of Pakistan is even when they're discussing a Pakistani movie. Does this make them a bad film critic? I kind of don't think so. I think it's preferrable if people know those things when they're reviewing a film from a country, but I suppose it's not necessary in the strictest sense. Knowing what cultures "hug and kiss as a greeting" is maybe not strictly necessary in someone you wish to learn geology or geometry from.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I assumed that's what you meant and I might agree. It might depend on the subject taught though.

At times educated people have the most curious blind spots. If a math professor said "only Italians and Hispanics hug and kiss each other as a greeting" I might wonder "why is he talking about this?" but it may or may not mean he's fit for the subject. I've seen highly educated film critics who have no idea what the capital of Pakistan is even when they're discussing a Pakistani movie. Does this make them a bad film critic? I kind of don't think so. I think it's preferrable if people know those things when they're reviewing a film from a country, but I suppose it's not necessary in the strictest sense. Knowing what cultures "hug and kiss as a greeting" is maybe not strictly necessary in someone you wish to learn geology or geometry from.
Though you may be right I would still question the overall intelligence of anyone making such a statement. I was also assuming the statement was at least somewhat related to the class subject.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:21 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Here in my corner of the midwest... hugs are for immediate family and really close friends. Kisses are for people who are attracted to each other.

I don't even shake hand with a lot of my relatives. Just a nod and "what's up?" or "how ya doin?"

Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Non Italian or Hispanic here and it's hugs for family and close friends at greetings...
by the good-byes it's hugs all around.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
It seems pretty different in other places.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:55 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Though you may be right I would still question the overall intelligence of anyone making such a statement. I was also assuming the statement was at least somewhat related to the class subject.
Instead of being oh so enlightened and name-calling, how about telling us what other cultures regularly hug/kiss strangers?

Or could it be someone different than the professor that is the moron here?

Old 09-03-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Instead of being oh so enlightened and name-calling, how about telling us what other cultures regularly hug/kiss strangers?

Or could it be someone different than the professor that is the moron here?
Someone p*ss in your cornflakes this morning?

Who exactly did I call a name? The professor? OK

You go out of your way to call me out on this and say I should tell what kind of greetings are common in my area yet you make no mention about your locale.

The greetings here vary greatly from person to person so I didn't bother adding that.

Last edited by Mike1306; 09-03-2009 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.