Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating: cross country moving, movers, Jacksonville, Chicago, job market.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:06 PM

26 posts, read 156,910 times

Advertisements

Please forgive me... I am a horrible searcher so even though I tried I may have missed all my answers truly am sorry... I am also a very slow reader ever since my brain decided to go south (topic for another day) with very little time even monthly to be on a computer. I hope your rules are a little more flexible than they appear on the outside looking in.

I posted in General U.S. b/c honestly I'm quite flexible even if my top concerns seem to be stringent...and I've already found a region but its more than 1 state that seems to fit quite nicely.

My Top Concerns:

Career aka Paper Carrier...My Mental & Body Health has stopped my school learning at HS Grad unfortunately and standing for more than half an hour, no thank you, sitting for hours on end is a chore and walking running a lot don't even think about it...that said...I have found a career I can do and makes enough money that my thrifty self can live modestly on. Having a newspaper route where I drive my car on both sides of the rode (yeah, illegal but police realize its what paper carriers have to do and little to no traffic so its ok) and deliver to (in ideal conditions of getting the paper from the dock into my car by 1am and have till 6am to deliver it) 550 customers (driveways, tubes, porches) with about 50 miles traveled from first to last throw regular (different than normal) sized houses and yards and getting paid after cost of bags on wet days and Sundays 10 cents per so that would amount to around 20K a year...of course if I can get 20K a year but have to do less papers but get more per throw b/c of less time to deliver or have to do more but have more time b/c I get less per throw I can be ok with either that. I will also be ok with more money same amount of throws and time (who wouldn't lol). Main thing Is I want 20K+ per year delivering papers to customers on time or very close to on time most of the time. The Nevada Appeal is horrible...b/c they are so horrible even making 12K a year is a rush....they think 2:30 am is just fine to finally get us the paper often it can get as late as 3:30 and on Fridays they print one section of the Sunday b4 printing Friday so Friday its often after 2:30....and something breaks at least once a week so we even see 4am even 5:30 a couple times and we only have till 5:30am to get the papers deliver well 6am since thats when the customer service reps start answering phone calls of no paper/ late paper...and they charge us $5 per complaint or we have to redeliver so our morning till 12pm is shot being ready in case someone wants to complain or it was stolen or wet etc. I don't want to be here longer than I have to so finding a gr8 paper carrier job would be excellent...I did email 11 different papers half replied over months and those all wanted to know where I lived and where I wanted to deliver b4 giving me details of the position (price per throw, length of avg time from papers in my car to when I have to deliver by, how many the avg carrier can do in that time as house lots and requests of where they want it and access to that places varies very heavily etc) For all I care if there is a community big enough out there and will allow me to deliver till 12 or whatever and net me more money, I am all for it as I can drive/run (with bathroom/something to drink eat) for a long time 8-12 hrs

Bottom line: I as a career am a paper carrier by car. I want to make 20K+ a year. I want to move to a place that fills that requirement.

Climate aka 250+ days btwn 40 low and 90 high...I was born in Boston, Mass lived for 5yrs cant remember any of it, raised in Minneapolis, MN (big metro with lots of suburbs races etc) & St. Croix Falls, WI (small everyone knows everyone town) lived in Carson City, NV for 2yrs earlier and going on 4yrs now. I know extremes of climate quite well. I hate cold, snow, winter etc but I can tolerate a bit of cold esp if it kills lots of insects (it's circle of life, get over it - I'm ok with bugs etc just as long as they don't live in my dwelling or bite me), snow not fun for paper carriers who use a lot of gas so would love to drive a Prius most if not all days or if have to will use a Buddy's hybrid AWD Subaru (ok they don't make those yet, here's hoping they willl) on really muddy, snowy days, extreme cold aka lower than 20s or in 20s 30s for weeks on end I really don't want but 20s so bugs will be less of an issue but not many more days than required and 30s a bit I can deal with, on the other end 90s 100s and or humid I am more tolerable of but plz not Weeks on end a week or 2 ok....I can sleep in wet heat (love it) but not in cold so would have to leave car on and pay huge heating bills. As a carrier I don't want too much rain but I hate the desert as theres little greenery or wildlife so rainy months no thank you rainy weeks/days ok.

Bottom line I can deal with extremes lower than 40 higher than 90 but would prefer to limit them as much as possible but to have little insect etc issue yet also have greenery..remember I am a carrier and I believe its common that we have to pay for bags and gas.

Community aka Politics, Values, Knowledge,

I am not all trying to be rude here. I hate the ppl who rub your faces in how Bush is gr8 and I can drive gas guzzlers when theres no/little need for it 95% of the time and the neighborhood just goes along with it cause they have to resort to very low skilled jobs b/c they don't do education.

Politics...Republican is ok but plz be smart republicans and not in your face...even democrats can be dumb and in your face but at least from my experience they aren't as bad...I'm more Libertarian, Green, Independent willing to vote candidate not party as much as possible.

Values...education, family, friends, community, world (I'm not too into American as I don't see colors or borders we are all on this earth and we all have to live with one another) plz don't think I'm un American or what have you nor un troop etc I just put Worldlian above American is all. community and world means all atoms not just humans but bugs, birds, trees, sky, seas, our bed, our tv, our car etc. Small town can happen in big cities Another big thing since this is who I am and its an important part of me I feel I must tell you. I was born with male parts. That is not who I am. I am a woman. Not only that but I am a lesbian. On the outside I still look male and according to the US I am a guy. However, I want this changed. So, I need a community that I can be safe b4 during and after the change.

Knowledge...k-12 should be a real learning experience not just for grades and or standardized tests state makes you take to get funding etc. beyond should be affordable to everyone (even if through community/state grants etc) I want the community to be educated...they don't all have to be activists but in general just know what they are doing and aren't followers just to be followers.

Besides those top 3 concerns heres a paragraph to help be even more detailed but aren't requirements.

I have come to love Costco and hate Walmart (I can still live in Walmart capital though) so a costco or eq would be very nice. If not or in addition to a chain or chains where food is very competitive to Walmart or Costco as costco doesn't have everything.

Gas is a requirement in my career so cheap gas or below avg would really help the bottom line I use a gallon of gas a day with a Prius (I imagine)

I only need atm a studio or sm. apt though it would be nice if I could do what I wanted to walls w/i commonsense reason. I just need a place to sleep (prolly sleep number or select comfort etc) eat/compute/write/read, cook (I am not really a cook just basics) and some place where I can have a few friends over for games and room for a girl to feel good and at home. I do need my home to be decently well sound proofed as I need quiet time and lots of sleep.

As far as services (tv, phone, internet) I am thinking VOIP for my home phone, Verizon or Cingular for my cell phone but I don't talk enough for them rather have phone card (avg 2c a min no per call fee) over a cell if that exists, internet provider not sure but has to be fast and I don't like charter services (tv/net) as far as tv it will be through my laptop.

As far as other services I want the workers to know their field and not charge a bundle.

Anything else plz ask.

Ok, I know a blabbed a lot and said a lot. Plz do try to help me, Ive done some research and have found career climate education community outside looking in that the big 4 cities in MO the 2 Western cities in Tennessee, LR, AR and even far eastern OK region seems to be very nice. Which one to choose seems to be mainly which paper is best and which community is open enough to accept me for me though I may have overlooked somewhere else or some of these cities really don't belong on my list as they don't follow my 3 top concerns or other cities in those states will take me as a paper carrier and provide me with 20K a year.

Ok thanks for reading I really really hope ppl reply and help me out. I have already done research now it is time for local ppl to help me narrow down my list even further, if thats possible, or broaden it as needed.

Thanks a lot.

Kindness - Heuristics

Samantha Isabella (haven't figured out a last name yet)

P.S. If ANYONE wants to re-write this feel absolutly free to do so...I tried my best with what little time I have so help on making this clearer and as much ppl as possible to be willing to help me the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 02:33 PM

353 posts, read 504,092 times
Chicago? You have to tighten your post up--it's way too long. Just skimming it makes me think you might like Chicago.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:54 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Well, I was about to suggest Jacksonville until you go to the Republican part-although there is more apathy here than firebrands. (Excluding military infulence) If yard signs are your thing and you are a dem, be prepared to replace weekly or post high up in a tree (my solution!)

and the k-12 schools thing- wanting them to be institutions of learning...that may be a stretch. But some are good, a couple excellent.

We had a carrier for a couple of years, so that says something about the Times Union, I think. I have missed sections a couple of times and they are very quick to get them to us. And they are doing a major marketing venture now, so I expect growth in home delivery. They seem to advertise for carriers a lot.

Why not check us out down here?

Old 05-05-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Chicago? You have to tighten your post up--it's way too long. Just skimming it makes me think you might like Chicago.

Yeah, I know but how?

@ Chicago It is a consideration...How are the winters?

Old 05-05-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Well, I was about to suggest Jacksonville until you go to the Republican part-although there is more apathy here than firebrands. (Excluding military infulence) If yard signs are your thing and you are a dem, be prepared to replace weekly or post high up in a tree (my solution!)

and the k-12 schools thing- wanting them to be institutions of learning...that may be a stretch. But some are good, a couple excellent.

We had a carrier for a couple of years, so that says something about the Times Union, I think. I have missed sections a couple of times and they are very quick to get them to us. And they are doing a major marketing venture now, so I expect growth in home delivery. They seem to advertise for carriers a lot.

Why not check us out down here?
You saying that Republicans are not stick it in your face or shove it down your throat..but willing to listen and even possibly be swayed on some issues?

lol @ signs I'm not an active Dem nor even a Dem on paper just more Dem than Rep lol weekly? ouch!

yeah institutions of learning public not private is hard but leaning towards that end aka honestly make a efforts Is all I am asking for.

Not at all being rude here just giving you some stats.
Theres about 7 out of area carriers, 3 that take lots of papers (1 to Reno for Home delivery 1 for tahoe buisnesss 1 for carson buisness) and 17 carson city home carriers most if not all out of area have been here for years the 3 that take lots of papers they have been here a long time and of the 17 cchd about half are long timers and half only this past year has it been high turnover. about getting your paper early unless you know your carriers route or are a carrier, unfourtantly you have no idea if you are the first/early on the turn list or whether paper does get to them early or not. Now no matter what if you get it b4 2am regularly, I'd for sure want to check it out.

advertise for carriers any details on pay?

thanks for posting.

PS looked @ delivery rates for home delivery about 40% more costly than Nevada Appeal so I hope that implys 40% more per throw which sounds just wonderful!

Last edited by druth8x; 05-05-2007 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: I checked out subscription rates

Old 05-05-2007, 05:21 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
I have learned not to try to sway the Rs, just give them a wide berth!

jacksonville.com should give you some carrier info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druth8x View Post
You saying that Republicans are not stick it in your face or shove it down your throat..but willing to listen and even possibly be swayed on some issues?

lol @ signs I'm not an active Dem nor even a Dem on paper just more Dem than Rep lol weekly? ouch!

yeah institutions of learning public not private is hard but leaning towards that end aka honestly make a efforts Is all I am asking for.

Not at all being rude here just giving you some stats.
Theres about 7 out of area carriers, 3 that take lots of papers (1 to Reno for Home delivery 1 for tahoe buisnesss 1 for carson buisness) and 17 carson city home carriers most if not all out of area have been here for years the 3 that take lots of papers they have been here a long time and of the 17 cchd about half are long timers and half only this past year has it been high turnover. about getting your paper early unless you know your carriers route or are a carrier, unfourtantly you have no idea if you are the first/early on the turn list or whether paper does get to them early or not. Now no matter what if you get it b4 2am regularly, I'd for sure want to check it out.

advertise for carriers any details on pay?

thanks for posting.

PS looked @ delivery rates for home delivery about 40% more costly than Nevada Appeal so I hope that implys 40% more per throw which sounds just wonderful!

Old 05-05-2007, 05:58 PM

lol wide berth meaning?

I really cant stress how much I hate the politics being shoved down my throat so I guess if reps arent compromisable in your area I guess no thank you

where on the site?

job search? no
employment opps? no

thanks for replying.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druth8x View Post
Yeah, I know but how?

@ Chicago It is a consideration...How are the winters?
Can be frigid cold several days at a time. The rest of winter can range from anywhere from 20-60 degrees, the latter not so often, but it does happen. Snowfall is decent, expect a few snowstorms a year, nothing drastic like the east coast has (usually 1-12" at best). 1/2 days are sunny, 1/2 days are overcast. You just need to take advantage of it. Buy yourself a snowmobile, go cross country skiing, go sledding, do something, ya know? Most people around here moan and groan when its cold and sit inside and pack on the pounds (which isnt hard to do with all the superb restaurants around here). When its cold, they wish it was hot. When its hot, they wish it was cold.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:29 PM

217 posts, read 845,387 times
Someone directed me to www.****.com, and I think it's a pretty nifty thing. They ask you 8 pgs of questions and then give you a list of about 4 pages of cities, with links to info and job searches on each.

I'd been looking at CA but started considering FL when my brother mentioned it might be a good place for me. As it turned out, at least by their calculations on my answers, CA (at least at this point in my life) wasn't a good place. But, about six cities in FL and a few more in the SE/S MidW were including the areas around where my brother lives. So, I decided to give it a shot down there.

I suggest checking it out. At the very least it'll give you some ideas and make you think about where your preferences and desires for home lie.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:00 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,883 times
Some parts of NM are nice and I know min wage is 7 something an hour, dont know if that helps. Godd luck in your search and i thought what you wrote was just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.