Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 07:42 AM

6 posts, read 24,964 times

Advertisements

Just turned 58 after being a care giver for both parents with cancer and an adult sibling with a debilitating, degenerative disease alone for 16 years, which became the focus of my life around survival work to keep bills paid. Now I am looking for a way to begin again. Several younger siblings have gone their own way through all of this time and I rarely hear from them. It's like we are on two different generational planets, so I have decided it's going to take too much of my life after all this time to have them learn that family is really all that matters in this life time. Don't think I have enough life time left for them to get that value system, so I am really ready to redesign and re-motivate my own life somewhere brand new and doing something brand new.

I have looked at Raleigh-Cary, NC, area and someone recommended Yorktown, VA, area. I am looking for a milder, not 85% sticky hot, climate with cultural events and opportunities to meet other mature adults in recreational settings as well as a stable job market. I will need to work for the rest of my time on this planet.

I have managed retail, worked in member services of long-term care, and taught business subjects for ten years as an adjunct professor. I have also worked in nonprofit administration and am interested in finding community education jobs or jobs where I can use my diverse talents in a positive, non-profit organization.

I am really ready to go and just need a little encouragement to find the right area that offers a good, steady economy in terms of work opportunities, a moderate climate (I am coming from Pittsburgh winters), and somewhat reasonable and possible cost of living options. Is that too much to ask for someone starting over?

Any suggestions on location will be deeply appreciated. As anyone knows who has been a very long-term care giver, the struggle to reclaim one's own life and sense of individual worth can be daunting. I feel it's my time to blossom and grow forward - the question now is just, where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 08:43 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
I am the same age as you. My wife and I made a big cross country move ( Virginia Beach to Grand Junction, CO ) a year ago. Click on the links below to read some of my previous posts for more details about the move.

You might also want to visit the Retirement forum to read many great threads posted there.

blessings.....Franco

Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
It gets pretty hot in the summertime, but everyone is different when it comes to tolerance of heat and cold.

RALEIGH DURHAM WSFO AP, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.