Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,663 times

Advertisements

Please help! I am looking to relocate to a new state. I am considering living in the suburbs of a major city about 20-40 minutes. I am interested in Atlanta, GA Houston or Dallas, TX Charlotte, NC Harrisburg or Philadelphia, PA Columbus, OH if you have another you think I will like let me know
A little about me. I am 25 married with one daughter, I am white and speak only English, I am not racist so living in another culture will not bother me, and I do not want to live somewhere that whites are disliked.
also my ideal place will be family oriented, low crime, housing in the 150K-250K range I like both the hot weather in the south just as much as the cold winters in the north so anywhere in between. If you know of a nice community I would also be interested.

Last edited by Bo; 02-02-2009 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread easier to find with search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,508 times
Ugh low crime? I would scratch Atlanta off the list; Dallas too.

Sugar Land and Katy are good suburbs of Houston and 20-40min from downtown. (Only problem is traffic though.)

What state do you live in as of now?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pargarrett View Post
A little about me. I am 25 married with one daughter, I am white and speak only English, I am not racist so living in another culture will not bother me, and I do not want to live somewhere that whites are disliked.
also my ideal place will be family oriented, low crime, housing in the 150K-250K range I like both the hot weather in the south just as much as the cold winters in the north so anywhere in between. If you know of a nice community I would also be interested.
You didn't mention anything about work. Will you be seeking work, or does your spouse have a job that can be done in any city? Do you prefer condos/townhomes or single family homes? Do you need public transportation, or want to be near a train or subway? etc. More info, please.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Omaha fits VERY well with your criteria.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 7,663 times
What state do you live in as of now? I live in Massachusetts
Will you be seeking work? I will be seeking work
Do you prefer condos/townhomes or single family homes? Single family homes
Do you need public transportation, or want to be near a train or subway? I dont need public transportation, train or subway does not really matter to me

Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pargarrett View Post
What state do you live in as of now? I live in Massachusetts
Will you be seeking work? I will be seeking work
Do you prefer condos/townhomes or single family homes? Single family homes
Do you need public transportation, or want to be near a train or subway? I dont need public transportation, train or subway does not really matter to me

Hmm...There are more job opprotunities in Houston; Dallas (but crime is high in Dallas.) Houston and Dallas had job gains while Atlanta, Charlotte, Philly and Columbus lossed jobs. Also crime is high in Atlanta.

Sugar Land is a great community; ranked 3rd in best top 100 cities to live in (something like that). It has great schools, Medical Facilities, and the city is diverse also, its just southwest of Houston.

Sugar Land was also ranked 5th in top 100 safest cities.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:25 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
Ugh low crime? I would scratch Atlanta off the list; Dallas too.

Sugar Land and Katy are good suburbs of Houston and 20-40min from downtown. (Only problem is traffic though.)

What state do you live in as of now?
Ridiculous. There are plenty of low crime areas in the Atlanta burbs with homes in that price range -- probably Dallas too.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:07 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Some St. Louis suburbs could fit your criteria. Webster Groves, Fenton, and Kirkwood come to mind. Maybe Maryland Heights or St. Charles, but those will be 30 minutes away not counting traffic. Chesterfield will be as far away as St. Charles and probably more expensive. But I think 150k-250k is doable in most St. Louis suburbs. There are some safe, affordable city neighborhoods, but city public schools are not the best.

Here's a cute place in Webster Groves
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/824-Atalanta-Ave_Webster-Groves_MO_63119_1105746295 (broken link)
Here's another beauty
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...119_1104524938

Old 02-02-2009, 01:22 PM

Here are a number of homes in your price range in Sugar Land.

Homes For Sale, MLS Listings, Houses and Condos For Sale | Zip Realty Real Estate (http://www.ziprealty.com/buy_a_home/search/results/sample.jsp?cKey=l5zr86lw&page=1&location=Sugar+Lan d%2CTX - broken link)

Old 02-02-2009, 01:56 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
Hmm...There are more job opprotunities in Houston; Dallas (but crime is high in Dallas.) Houston and Dallas had job gains while Atlanta, Charlotte, Philly and Columbus lossed jobs. Also crime is high in Atlanta.

Sugar Land is a great community; ranked 3rd in best top 100 cities to live in (something like that). It has great schools, Medical Facilities, and the city is diverse also, its just southwest of Houston.

Sugar Land was also ranked 5th in top 100 safest cities.
You need to quit your oft-repeated mantra about crime in Atlanta. You are making yourself look foolish with all of these baseless claims.

Yes, it is true that Atlanta "lossed" a lot of jobs in the past 12 months. Houstons energy based economy has shielded them - until now. They are just behind the national curve on the recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.