Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:46 PM

11 posts, read 24,339 times

Advertisements

Is there any place in America with one? I'm moving my wife, daughter and "gangster" nephew who lives with us away from Fresno, and I feel relocating would be a good idea since I got laid off from my former job. I have a Bachelor's but never a teaching job. I feel the Midwest or East Coast would be a nice change of pace from the ever-approaching ghetto of Fresno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 02:23 AM

I'm sorry for posting twice but does anybody know about the suburbs around Hickman Rd/NW 156st?

Old 11-15-2009, 07:44 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean54321 View Post
I'm sorry for posting twice but does anybody know about the suburbs around Hickman Rd/NW 156st?
What city and state, might help a tad. Hope you didn't major in geography .

Old 11-17-2009, 07:25 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Most places have a shortage of teachers. The problem is that even recession-proff teaching jobs are in short supply, because the school districts are having furlough days and laying off teachers.

Last edited by terrence81; 11-17-2009 at 07:51 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 07:46 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Most places have a shortage of teachers the problem is that even recession teaching jobs are in short supply because the school districts are having furlough days and laying off teachers.
bingo...historically, NOVA, the Carolinas, Florida, Texas, Arizona are always mentioned as needing teachers "badly". However...NOVA and Texas are being flooded with applications from transplants and out-of-staters looking to move, the Carolinas are having budget issues and not hiring in order to keep who they have staffed...and Arizona and Florida are basically crashing and burning, laying off teachers due to terrible fiscal issues while desperately needing more teachers per building due to population increases. It's a tough time and the market is saturated or not looking to hire. Undesirable areas of Baltimore are always looking to hire, but that's another issue to discuss.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 AM

I was reading in the Washington Post how they laid off 140 teachers in DC after the start of the school in the middle of the day last month. That alone is crazy but they needed those teachers but money is money honey so they just cut them off no warning just like that. One school only had one teacher per grade. So they let the 3rd grade teacher and put half the 3rd graders in with the 2nd grade teacher and half with the 4th grade teacher. This to me was ridiculous and they went about it the worst way possible. Honestly I think those teachers were just disliked by certain principals. Who lays off a teacher in the middle of the day disrupting class like that? But it just goes to show that despite the desperate need school districts are not hiring like they used to because of the budget.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean54321 View Post
Is there any place in America with one? I'm moving my wife, daughter and "gangster" nephew who lives with us away from Fresno, and I feel relocating would be a good idea since I got laid off from my former job. I have a Bachelor's but never a teaching job. I feel the Midwest or East Coast would be a nice change of pace from the ever-approaching ghetto of Fresno.
Chicago Public Schools has an established excellent program that fast-tracks people from other professions into teaching. You must commit to teaching in CPS after completing the program for some amount of time. My friend, a 5'5''' Blond/Blue Eyed Mech. Engineer from KY entered the program and began teaching at the school that had the Pregnant Middle School girls. Very rough area, my friend actually had to get between fist swapping 8 month pregnant 13year olds several times. She taught for about 5 years in CPS (I don't know the min. years you must teach in CPS once completion of the program). Now she is teaching in KY.
You will absolutely teach in a gangster school for a while. You hopefully won't need to live in a Gangster area. The only people I know who have completed the program were single and did have some funds saved up from their previous white collar jobs.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Chicago Public Schools has an established excellent program that fast-tracks people from other professions into teaching. You must commit to teaching in CPS after completing the program for some amount of time. My friend, a 5'5''' Blond/Blue Eyed Mech. Engineer from KY entered the program and began teaching at the school that had the Pregnant Middle School girls. Very rough area, my friend actually had to get between fist swapping 8 month pregnant 13year olds several times. She taught for about 5 years in CPS (I don't know the min. years you must teach in CPS once completion of the program). Now she is teaching in KY.
You will absolutely teach in a gangster school for a while. You hopefully won't need to live in a Gangster area. The only people I know who have completed the program were single and did have some funds saved up from their previous white collar jobs.
I was a substitute teacher at a pregnant school once. It was real swell very easy experience. I popped in a video and the girls didn't bother me. I don't know if they were tired from their babies keeping them up all night but never had a problem.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
bingo...historically, NOVA, the Carolinas, Florida, Texas, Arizona are always mentioned as needing teachers "badly". However...NOVA and Texas are being flooded with applications from transplants and out-of-staters looking to move, the Carolinas are having budget issues and not hiring in order to keep who they have staffed...and Arizona and Florida are basically crashing and burning, laying off teachers due to terrible fiscal issues while desperately needing more teachers per building due to population increases. It's a tough time and the market is saturated or not looking to hire. Undesirable areas of Baltimore are always looking to hire, but that's another issue to discuss.
Same with NYC too.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:57 PM

lol I'm sorry about not being specific about the location I was looking at, sometimes when I write I forget half the sentence I just thought. I think I might do some searching around the Carolinas though, I think I heard the "Durty South" gangsters are less accepting of whites so he might stray away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.