Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times

Advertisements

It doesn't even have to be freezing most of the time, just some of the time, and as a seasoned Northerner I'd say that it should be about 25% of the time, but that's because I have MN bias, so I'll ease up and just go for "some" of the time.

So for example, parts of Texas actually experience winter according to my definition of it, and hence have 4 seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 04:25 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
The Mid-Atlantic, from Nova to Connecticut has the most traditional 4 seasons weather.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:36 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
The sweet spot might be the areas off the 101 north of the wine country in CA. Thinking a bit past Santa Rosa where you see no more palm trees on up to Ukiah. Albuquerque comes close. Virginia Beach and waterfront south of DC on the east coast but you get much more grey weather in winter and humidity in summer
I once lived just South of Ukiah, in Lake County. I had a dairy there. It is not bad

I also did 18 months at Virginia Beach. It is not horrible either.

I could have chosen either of those locations to retire to, and yet I found a much better location.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Well you can rule out all of the upper midwest. The change of seasons is definately there, but if you dont like extreme temps then this is not your place. January is much colder than 35, well maybe 35 below zero lol. Summers are nice up here, espc if you are close to Lake Michigan.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Summers can also be brutal -- Souix Falls avg. high in July is close to 90 or at least the upper 80's, yet still experiences the bone chilling cold that just about no other state in the country experiences. Wild stuff!

Old 09-25-2010, 01:13 AM

220 posts, read 371,990 times
I think the best place, without extremes in weather, is Hawaii. Sometimes the humidity makes it feel above 85F in late August and the month of September, but the temperature is 85F, year round, has sunshine almost everyday, rains about 15 minutes every day, then stops, so there are lots of rainbows, very rarely are there thunderstorms, lightening almost never. Hurricanes and earthquakes once in a while, every 5-8 years, tsunamis once every 10-15 years, but global warming may be affecting some change, as more warnings of late. Summers are mild and breezy; I'm from NYS and I've never used air-conditioning in summer. Leaves do get brown on some trees in autumn and fall, but no barren trees and some are always replenished with green. If you really miss snow, you can go to the Big Island and up Kilauea summit for island snow, then descend and swim in a turquoise ocean. November/December/January is the rainy/winter season, when the temperatures get down to low 80's or even mid-70's. Locals start wearing their parkas. Flowers bloom all year and the air has floral perfume in it, but not as noticable in heart of Honolulu or more populated areas.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:32 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I'm going to go ahead and define what I feel is a 4 seasoned place:

Winter: can get below at least 32 degrees and ice/sleet/snow are at least an occassional occurance
Spring: pretty self-explanatory -- but over freezing and under 90 degrees
Summer: at LEAST 75 degrees 99% of the time
Fall: same as Spring....maybe includes leaves falling off of trees

Many cities do not have 4 seasons IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I disagree, I'd say Philly up to Southern NH and Vermont fit this criteria. Philly down to DC fit the criteria for the most part, depending on the year (winter may be a bit warmer than what you say).
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I hear you, I'm saying that Philly up through Southern NH and VT fits that bill for all seasons. Where I am in NJ it's below 32 most of the time then.

HUH??? Philadelphia winters of late begin in November after a brief Fall. They continue through March and into April (sometimes early May), followed by a short "Spring" and segway into a brutally hot Summer.

Weather Station History : Weather Underground
ID=KPAPHILA4&day=26&year=2009&month=7&graphspan=ye ar
Weather Station History : Weather Underground

Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
The Mid-Atlantic, from Nova to Connecticut has the most traditional 4 seasons weather.
how is it any more "traditional 4 seasons weather" than New England or the Mid-West?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
I think New Mexico has great four season weather! Albuguerque and Northern New Mexico in general. The falls are cool and crisp, the summers aren't too hot, the winters get cold but nothing like Denver and other areas. Spring is warmer but still cool.

California would be the second best but it's more 3 seasons than 4 depending where in CA you live. Northern California gets A LOT of rain. Southern California despite what everyone thinks, actually does get rain! This past winter we here in San Diego got a few inches of rain from the El Nino. It even flooded streets. The mountains of SoCal get snow too! Big Bear(SoCal) is great for skiing! I love it!
Couldn't have said it better.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Atlanta, Georgia comes to mind..

Gets cold in the winter, but not extremely so, has a beautiful spring and fall. Summers are frequently above 85 tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.