Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,855 times

Advertisements

Well, being from central Florida, I'm a little biased
Lake Istapoga, Lake Okeechobee, Lake Walk In Water, etc, etc, etc.....
(if ya like large-mouthed bass)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 03:25 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
That sounds awesome. How about in winter? Is it all fishing through a hole in the ice? I'm seriously asking because I've only ever fished in Arizona.
Many of our rivers don't freeze, but most lakes will be frozen. So yes, ice fishing is a big thing in Michigan. We have four seasons here, so fishing will be different in the spring, summer, fall, and winter. That's what makes it so fun.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:41 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,072,926 times
Quote:
That sounds awesome. How about in winter? Is it all fishing through a hole in the ice? I'm seriously asking because I've only ever fished in Arizona.
I grew up near Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin, which is home to the largest breeding lake sturgeon population in the world. Red caviar is actually the roe (fish eggs) of the lake sturgeon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DahbSe8jdJQ

Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,855 times
I'd have to shoot something that big before I put it in the boat with me

Old 12-28-2009, 03:45 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
In this area the rivers stay open most years, so you can continue great (a bit cold) fishing for Steelhead (Rainbow Trout that have spent their adult lives in one of the Great Lakes), Brown Trout, Northern Pike, etc.... There are a LOT of ice fishermen in Michigan as well, frankly I don't see the appeal, but to each their own I guess. It IS a lot of fun to see a tip-up or Slammer pop letting you know you have a fish on. There is also fishing in an ice shanty that you put in one spot and cut a larger hole through the ice and can sit in the shanty out of the wind and even have a heater going so you can sit and fish through the large hole in the floor and ice in comfort.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:52 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
The county is Wilkes in North Carolina.
The road is Old North Carolina 16.
The creek is called the Clear Branch that flows into Reddies River.
My brothers thought it was heaven because it contains native mountain rainbow trout if you go up the branch more than 1/2 mile.
They always wore hip boots as a safety precaution.
Reddies River is stocked by the fish and wildlife department, but this waterway is so isolated that the stocked trout don't go very far upstream. My brothers used to come back home from there so excited about their catch, because they caught fish like most people have never seen.

The native rainbow trout are smaller than most trout and have beautiful coloring.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:03 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The county is Wilkes in North Carolina.
The road is Old North Carolina 16.
The creek is called the Clear Branch that flows into Reddies River.
My brothers thought it was heaven because it contains native mountain rainbow trout if you go up the branch more than 1/2 mile.
They always wore hip boots as a safety precaution.
Reddies River is stocked by the fish and wildlife department, but this waterway is so isolated that the stocked trout don't go very far upstream. My brothers used to come back home from there so excited about their catch, because they caught fish like most people have never seen.

The native rainbow trout are smaller than most trout and have beautiful coloring.
That's cool about the native rainbows. In the high country streams in eastern Arizona and western New Mexico there is Apache Trout and Gila Trout. They're native. The Apache Trout is yellow with little black dots. The Gila is similar, I believe. There's a real problem with the natives crossbreeding with stocked rainbows and browns.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:34 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,667 times
Idaho of course, the south can keep there bass and catfish, some of the biggest trout, salmon and steelhead in the world live here. Hell, you can even fly fish for 20+ lb chinook salmon in downtown Boise.

I know at one point the record rainbow trout was caught at Henry's Fork in Idaho, that may have been beaten, I'm not sure.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,502,346 times
If you're into catfish come on down to OkieVille and try some noodlin'....called hoggin/grapplin in other parts of the South.

Check the following vid for some Okie Fishing Culture...

okie noodlin video by weimans - Photobucket

Old 12-28-2009, 10:49 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
If you're into catfish come on down to OkieVille and try some noodlin'....called hoggin/grapplin in other parts of the South.

Check the following vid for some Okie Fishing Culture...

okie noodlin video by weimans - Photobucket
I've never seen anything like that. That's nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.