Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 23,684 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Native Californian here, who is currently residing in Portland Maine. I LOVE Portland (great size, great people, close to lots of outdoor activities), but am looking to move back West. CO, UT, OR, or maybe CA most likely. I am having a really hard time finding a town which fits my criteria, so figured I'd see if anyone else have any ideas.

Here is what I am looking for:
-Smallish town (<100k population)
-Not too far (a few hours) from a larger city.
-Lots of hiking, skiing, mountain biking, and water activities (river or lake) near by... (preferably a ski resort within an hour or so (and backcountry skiing opportunities).)
-Active young person community (late 20's/early 30's).
-Dog friendly.
-I don't mind cold temps or snow, but do want a place with plenty of sunshine....
-Job Opportunities (financial services or HR).
-Good quality of life.

Places I'm researching are:
Bend, OR
SLC, UT (bigger than I want, but an option)
Ogden, UT
Boulder, CO
Park City, UT
Truckee or Incline Village, CA

Any advice on these places? Any other places you could recommend that I have not thought of? I'm going to take a trip to check out potential towns, but need to narrow it down a bit more.

THANK you for any advice or suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 02:14 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,547 times
Try Chico, CA. It's 90 minutes from sacramento, about 85k people. Lots of young people since it's a college town. However, if you don't want to live too close to the university then there are plenty of very nice neighborhoods all around the city. Relatively inexpensive compared to most other places in the state. It's an absolutely gorgeous place, especially in the spring. No snow here, it rains between november and early march, but snow is only a 20 minute drive away since the city is seated in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Tahoe, the bay area, Oregon, and Reno are all within about a 3 hour drive. An awesome town for outdoors activities since we have Bidwell park, one of the largest municipal parks in the U.S.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:22 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,974 times
Boulder meets all of your needs. Denver is only 20-30 min away. Extremely expensive but if you're from California it might not seem so bad.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
Boulder meets all of your needs. Denver is only 20-30 min away. Extremely expensive but if you're from California it might not seem so bad.
Another great option. I love boulder

Old 01-15-2010, 03:16 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Bellingham, WA

90 minutes from Seattle, 40 from Vancouver, BC. An hour to Mt. Baker Skiing, 2&1/2 HR to Whistler, 3rd largest College in the State (WWU), on the water, near the San Juans. 60 minutes to north Cascades National Park.

Bellingham Whatcom County Tourism » Bellingham Whatcom County Tourism

Old 01-15-2010, 04:48 PM

117 posts, read 394,568 times
You could check out Bozeman Montana which is growing at a pretty rapid pace, although its not very close to any large cities.

I lived there for the while I was in college and it is a very young and active community with great outdoor recreational activities that everybody takes advantage of.

There are two ski areas, Big Sky which is about 45 minutes away which is the typical big mountain resort but its a fun mountain and then there is Bridger bowl which is about 15 minutes north of town and is more of a locals mountain with in my opinion better terrain, but there are no high speed lifts.

ITs very dog friendly.

The only reason I left is because I couldn't concentrate on school while I was out there because of all awesome things to do and moved back to my home state while get a degree before I can move back out there in year.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Try Chico, CA. It's 90 minutes from sacramento, about 85k people. Lots of young people since it's a college town. However, if you don't want to live too close to the university then there are plenty of very nice neighborhoods all around the city. Relatively inexpensive compared to most other places in the state. It's an absolutely gorgeous place, especially in the spring. No snow here, it rains between november and early march, but snow is only a 20 minute drive away since the city is seated in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Tahoe, the bay area, Oregon, and Reno are all within about a 3 hour drive. An awesome town for outdoors activities since we have Bidwell park, one of the largest municipal parks in the U.S.
I forgot to mention that Mt. Shasta is less than 90 minutes away, an excellent place to ski, as well as Mt. Lassen national park less than an hour away. Chico is really at the center of eveything in Norcal

Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric22 View Post
Hi!

Here is what I am looking for:
-Smallish town (<100k population)
-Not too far (a few hours) from a larger city.
-Lots of hiking, skiing, mountain biking, and water activities (river or lake) near by... (preferably a ski resort within an hour or so (and backcountry skiing opportunities).)
-Active young person community (late 20's/early 30's).
-Dog friendly.
-I don't mind cold temps or snow, but do want a place with plenty of sunshine....
-Job Opportunities (financial services or HR).
-Good quality of life.

Places I'm researching are:
Bend, OR
SLC, UT (bigger than I want, but an option)
Ogden, UT
Boulder, CO
Park City, UT
Truckee or Incline Village, CA

Bend is isolated but in a beautiful area. I've heard that of late their economy has been suffering but who's hasn't?

SLC is a smallish quiet city with an extremely large suburban culture, but it fits most of your criteria. It falls really short in the river requirement but has a beautiful mountain back drop.

Ogden is somewhat gritty, many parts of town run down, small but near SLC.

Boulder, of the cities you listed, Boulder is probably the one you would enjoy the most and is a complete opposite to say Ogden.

Park City is an attractive mountain town, probably the most normal town in Utah. It is in a high desert mountain valley with some forested slopes rising behind it but Park City is not nearly as alpine or deep in the mountains as some are led to believe.

I've never been to Truckee or Incline Village.

Other options in the West you might consider that fit your criteria better than any city you listed except for Boulder are Coeur d'Alene, ID, Boise, ID (larger than your want ) and Spokane, WA (also larger than you want) or the Wood River Valley in Idaho where Hailey, Ketchum and Sun Valley are located. Boise and Spokane are bigger cities than you are looking for but they have smaller metro areas than SLC but Boise is much more outdoorsy in nature, its an active little city and fits your wish list almost perfectly except the population of Boise is well over 100K

Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,167 times
Maveric22 have you moved yet and if so where? I myself am looking to move out west somewhere with very similar criteria. Would like to be in driving distance some population but looking to live a little more remotely and higher up in elevation(above 8,000 ft) more snow and not as hot in summer! Thanks for any input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.