Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does he?
Yes, he does. 35 94.59%
No, he doesn't. 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yeah, I think the stereotype of the "Chicago accent" grossly exaggerates the general situation in 2010.

With millions of people in the metro now being hispanic, black or asian, as well as the large numbers of people that have moved away since the 1960's, only to be replaced by large numbers moving in from around the Midwest since the early 1990's - the hard core Chicago accent is definitely an exception than any rule.

I've been here for 9 years now from elsewhere in the Midwest, and I never really noticed any accent, and no one back home has ever mentioned that I've developed one. It's pretty much a non-issue in the city as far as people talking about this accent.

Once in awhile I will hear a really Ditka or SNL "Da Bears" accent, but it's more of a novelty.

I agree. I think that the older "Chicago Accent" is going the way of the older "New York Accent" and will become less and less common as time goes on (however, despite many claims to the contrary, regional accents are not dying, I have relatives younger than I am in New England, and you can tell the moment they open their mouths, or at least I can, and they all joke that they can tell I'm from Chicago, or at least the northern Midwest). That being said, there are larger regional accent trends within the US that are alive and well, and changing even as we speak, and type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 05:44 PM

780 posts, read 1,343,764 times
I think the president has a neutral accent. He doesn't sound like someone from Chicago ( the few I've spoke to from Chicago ), but occasionally, he will have a North Carolina/Virginia-type accent if you listen to some of his speeches; particularly if it is an emotional speech, or when his passionate-side comes out.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
He moved around a lot as a child. Like some military children he seems to have a non regional American accent from all the moving

Old 03-09-2010, 11:54 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
He's lived in Chicago for a quarter century. Picking up a local accent is like staying in a room full of flu victims; you'll eventually catch it.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:16 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
I find his speech to be very generic, almost like a TV news anchor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.