Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:25 PM

94,102 posts, read 124,912,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
If you upstater's want to think your area is similar to Toronto go ahead if it'll make you feel better but the OP was asking for experiences from those who have moved from Canada to the US and I actually have lived in both.
I said Ontario, not just Toronto. I wouldn't compare a vast section of a state to a metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:29 PM

6,346 posts, read 11,137,564 times
I'm not Canadian but have a cousin that married into a family from Quebec and they eventually moved to Connecticut. They seem happy in the States and have lived here for decades.

I would not sweat the accent thing. We still have people fighting the Civil War here in some areas of the country. Both North and South of the Mason Dixon Line you can still here people gripe about people from the other region or make fun of the accents.

You will find some similarities among cultures if you move to New England and into a community that is close to the Canadian border. Many people still have family on both sides of the border and commute daily back and forth between each country. Since 911 it has become more difficult because prior to that people could cross the border without the need to show their Passport. Or if they did, it was a quick in and out. Not anymore though. I don't see all that much similar between Ontario and NY State other than perhaps the climate and some of the flora and terrain in adjacent lands. People wise they are not much alike.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:41 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,696,779 times
Quote:
I moved from Canada to NY. Some things to note:
1) People are not as nice.
2) There is way more crime.
3) People will make fun of your accent so much it will be hard to pretend to find it amusing.
4) No free healthcare. What you get through an employer will not even be remotely similar. Plan on thousands a year for a family of 5.

I recently left NY for Colorado and wow what a difference I felt like I moved back to Canada. Nice people, little crime but they will still make fun of your accent. I love where I live now and wouldn't trade it for any other place because it has everything I'm looking for. I don't know what your reasons for moving to the US are and where in NJ you're moving to but it is different and does take getting used to.
OMG, here we go again. "No free healthcare". Really? Do you really believe that health care in Canada is free? Nonsense. Canadians pay for healthcare, boy do they pay, not only in higher taxes, but long waits for care in most cases.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:02 PM

32 posts, read 97,370 times
Quote:
Not to be rude but if you're from NJ and have family there don't you already know the differences?
CKH- upstate may be close geographically but I really don't see any other similarities. Anyone who has ever driven through Buffalo's East Side (even West Side) would not see anything similar in Toronto.
Well, I was fresh out of college when I left, and am quite a bit older with a different life and point of view now... as for family, I got their opinions, but am interested in hearing others too...

Old 03-11-2010, 10:05 PM

okay, I'm noticing that people are talking more about culture... guess I was more interested in the practical aspects as opposed to culture (probably didn't make myself clear)... how do people find healthcare? taxes? job (i.e. I'm pretty sure it's more laid back up here than in the US, at least in the northeast)? travel? vacations?

Old 03-12-2010, 04:23 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,625,765 times
Quote:
4) No free healthcare. What you get through an employer will not even be remotely similar. Plan on thousands a year for a family of 5.
Yeah. There's no such thing as "free" healthcare. If it's a government service, you are paying dearly for it. It's just a lot harder to put a specific dollar amount on it when it is taken within a large glob known as "taxes."

Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,446,002 times
Ontario and upstate NY are sooo different. It is like the difference between northeastern and north-central Pennsylvania.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:35 PM

94,102 posts, read 124,912,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Ontario and upstate NY are sooo different. It is like the difference between northeastern and north-central Pennsylvania.
It depends on where you are in Upstate NY. I don't think people are saying that Albany is like parts of Ontario. I was thinking more of places closer to Ontario and even in the Syracuse area, you get quite a few people from Ontario and even Quebec down here. It's only an hour and a half to get to Ontario from here. Ottawa is only 3 hours or so from here too.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:14 AM

648 posts, read 1,622,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Yeah. There's no such thing as "free" healthcare. If it's a government service, you are paying dearly for it. It's just a lot harder to put a specific dollar amount on it when it is taken within a large glob known as "taxes."
Thank you. Also, the U.S. has superior medical care quality compared to the world.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:43 AM

btw, you can definitely get "free" healthcare in Canada - just stop working the problem is that if you do pay for it (i.e. pay taxes), you don't have a choice and a chance at better healthcare than someone who doesn't work and doesn't pay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.