Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:11 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,551 times

Advertisements

Growing up in wide open Lubbock, Texas, I thought alleys in residential alleys were a fact of life. But after having lived in several other cities without alleys, I realize they are not as common as I thought.

I think alleys are probably more common in areas where density is lower and land is not at a premium, but I'm not sure. It may also have a lot do do with how the local sanitation department has decided to collect trash.

So, where do you live, do you have residential alleys and do you like/dislike them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:15 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
Some parts of Savannah have residential alleyways. Ardsley Park is one area. IMO, it adds to the city's character.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
It does add to a city's character in an indirect way. Alleys are a major contributor to a city's beautification and sanitation, especially in a densely populated city. Chicago has alleys behind about 99% of its streets. Utility lines and trash cans/dumpsters are all kept back in the alleys. Very few driveways too -- most people access their garages from the alley. Makes the streetscapes much more pleasant. The only downside I see to alleys is it's that much more pavement that requires upkeep.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
Minneapolis has alleys in many (although not all) of its neighborhoods; the alleys tend to be in the neighborhoods that have the highest density, actually. My instinct would be that they are of great help in tightly packed neighborhoods, or at least dense neighborhoods that developed at a time when people had need for a garage (my parents' place was built in 1909 in a city neighborhood, and does have an alley). Our neighborhood in DC had an alley, our place in Delaware did not, LA did not, San Francisco did not.

I love alleys. It's nice to have all the utilities out in the back, and I like having both the public and the private parts of a neighborhood. I enjoy walking through alleys, too; the architecture of garages (at least of the older types) can be interesting, and alley neighborhoods in older cities also often retain evidence of horse days and other interesting connections to the past that have been long erased from the street. They also mean that there's no driveways cutting up the sidewalk in front. That translates into more parking spaces, as well as makes it nicer/safer for walking.

In some areas there's been a movement to bringing back housing to alleys by means of allowing so-called "granny flats," or garages/carriage houses with apartments (or converted garages into small apartments/houses). It's a great way to add density to a neighborhood without changing its character, as well as helps with safety by adding some eyes to the street, or in this case, alley.

We're hoping to buy a place in the next year. I'm hoping we'll have an alley. I love them!

Old 11-21-2009, 12:03 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,031,505 times
Yes. My subdivision is newer and obviously wouldn't have them, but the City of Fort Wayne does in its older residential neighborhoods. I love them, as they characterize the urban Midwest.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:08 AM

721 posts, read 1,794,933 times
Chicago definitely has them. A lot of the Inner Ring suburbs have them too. It definitely helps keep the streets cleaner. Things look a lot better when electric wires and trash cans aren't dominating the sidewalk/street.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:43 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,108 times
Where I live the older areas of town where houses are close together have alleys.
There is one alley between each pair of parallel streets. So for example there is an alley between 2nd and 3rd street. The alley serves as engress (sp?) to driveways and garages for both streets. The back yard of each house on both streets face the alley. That is where the driveways and garages are. The frt yards of houses on both streets face the actual street and there are no driveway or garage entrances. Just front yard.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:45 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
That's not very common in the Bay Area at all.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 19,886 times
I must be thinking of different alleys, because they are more common in areas with high density populations. ??

Old 11-21-2009, 09:01 AM

588 posts, read 2,829,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaComa View Post
I must be thinking of different alleys, because they are more common in areas with high density populations. ??
My reasoning was that alleys take up a lot of room, so by their very nature reduce the density of housing in a given area.

But maybe alleys are more common in areas with mid-rise and high-rise residential areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.