U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 AM
 
Location: In the heights
11,056 posts, read 9,383,410 times
Reputation: 4747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
NY-56
NJ-6
Ct-10
PA-8
MA-5

That is 85 and he had 88 on his list.
It may be more than 6 states since most of the others surrounding have 1 or 2.
Are both lists drawn from the same data and the same year? These are seriously skewed statistics if that's what's happened. I wonder if it's the same for the other major cities as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,489 posts, read 10,816,229 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting....So, can the other areas be skewed by including counties that are not necessarily in the metros of those other areas? Those numbers could be inflated as well then.
I was only going off state numbers. I am not sure how he came up with the numbers but it had to include the states I listed while all the other metros may have a couple of counties outside the area counted, not additional states and certainly not 5 more states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,904 posts, read 6,262,818 times
Reputation: 1819
Isn't this really about the ORIGINS of the elite? We're talking about where they hail from. The north shore of Long Island has to be in the top 3. All those gatsby-era people/stories hail from the gold coast of LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,489 posts, read 10,816,229 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are both lists drawn from the same data and the same year? These are seriously skewed statistics if that's what's happened. I wonder if it's the same for the other major cities as well.
I'll have to check my numbers now because I had 56 but the map is saying 66
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 24 days ago)
 
30,362 posts, read 35,099,529 times
Reputation: 6048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I was only going off state numbers. I am not sure how he came up with the numbers but it had to include the states I listed while all the other metros may have a couple of counties outside the area counted, not additional states and certainly not 5 more states.
I can see adding counties in other states to the NYC area if it's Fairfield County CT or Bergen County NJ, but once you go into PA, your getting more into the CSA of a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,489 posts, read 10,816,229 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I can see adding counties in other states to the NYC area if it's Fairfield County CT or Bergen County NJ, but once you go into PA, your getting more into the CSA of a city.
Well I had 56 but after the other post I checked and it is 66 for NY State that would still be 22 to make up. With 10 in CT and 6 in New Jersey it still leaves it 6 short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,489 posts, read 10,816,229 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Isn't this really about the ORIGINS of the elite? We're talking about where they hail from. The north shore of Long Island has to be in the top 3. All those gatsby-era people/stories hail from the gold coast of LI.
The origins of the future elite would not be from the Gatsby era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,904 posts, read 6,262,818 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The origins of the future elite would not be from the Gatsby era.

People didn't really start to get really wealthy until the 1910s and 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 11:06 AM
 
Location: In the heights
11,056 posts, read 9,383,410 times
Reputation: 4747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
People didn't really start to get really wealthy until the 1910s and 20s.
No. Just no. You should know this a lot better given how much earlier wealth in the 19th century has impacted the NYC landscape. You are blindly grasping at some kind of clever retort, hoping for something to stick.

Also, it's obvious what the OP is asking if you actually read the original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 11:10 AM
 
5,178 posts, read 4,255,697 times
Reputation: 4495
Ypu could easily say that the origins of great wealth come from the Boston Brahmins, and the old society families of Philadelphia, and the southern aristicocracies of Virginia, which were then transformed somewhat after the Civil War, with the industrialists ( Rockerfeller, Vanderbilt, Carnegie, etc)..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top