Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 04:33 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,702,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I'm sorry Goku, I didn't realize all cities in the South were small and midsized. And No.1 on your list is in liberal Northern Virginia. I wouldn't be suprised if many of the rest were located in their own liberal oasis.

Also, I guess the Census Bureau must be lying when it says that the Southern state with the highest graduation rate, which is Virginia (obviously pulled along by Northern Virginia) is only ranked 30th out of 51. After that is Georgia at 36. And who do we have dead last at 51? Texas, which placed one spot behind Mississippi.

Oh yeah, the neocons are doing an excellent jobs with the high schools. If you thought that was surprising (and you prob did) you don't even want to know the college graduation rates. You just might change your party.
well said =) so true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 04:46 PM

32 posts, read 46,543 times
Quote:
I'm sorry Goku, I didn't realize all cities in the South were small and midsized.
I did not realize the large cities had no public transport. I know AT's public transit is acually better then LA's which is a very liberal city.

Quote:
And No.1 on your list is in liberal Northern Virginia. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the rest were located in their own liberal oasis.
Lets just ignore the other 100 or so schools on this list. I guess all those southern school must be in little "liberal oases" since this is sooo unreal ahahaa.

Quote:
Also, I guess the Census Bureau must be lying when it says that the Southern state with the highest graduation rate, which is Virginia (obviously pulled along by Northern Virginia) is only ranked 30th out of 51. After that is Georgia at 36. And who do we have dead last at 51? Texas, which placed one spot behind Mississippi.

I like how Alabama has a higher rate then the almighty New York.

Quote:
Oh yeah, the neocons are doing an excellent jobs with the high schools. If you thought that was surprising (and you prob did) you don't even want to know the college graduation rates. You just might change your party.
Sorry, not a neo-con bro. I lean further right then that.

Last edited by Kakarot2; 04-08-2010 at 04:58 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 04:59 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,659,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
anybody can watch the film 'glory' and see that's blacks weren't always treated fairly up north. HOWEVER, the only thing that matters to most of us blacks is the fact that the south was fighting to be able to keep OUR ancestors in bondage, and north was fighting to abolish the sickening, inhumane practice of slavery (of course that's not all the civil war was about, but the "main objective" i guess). so while i may not agree with killakoolaide's sentiments, i definitely understand where he's coming from

and just in case anybody didn't know, blacks fought in the confederacy as well (against their own will of course)
You do know that Lincoln couldn't give a damn either way whether slaves were freed or not right?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
The south lost get over it.

They try to act so patriotic nowadays, but in reality are the least patriotic, because they honor treason against the U.S. federal government. Confederates were not soldiers, they were traitors and deserved to have thier cities burnt to the ground.

The north may not have cared about blacks, but they were educated enough to realize that if America was to be taken seriously on the world stage going forward they would have to do away with slavery alltogether.The backward rednecks of the south didn't see it that way.
Just too much wrong in there. Here is a little history for you.

From the Declaration of Independence

"That these united colonies are, and of right ought to be free and independent states; that they are absolved of all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as free and independent states, they have full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which independent states may of right do."

The Articles of Confederation in 1781 did prohibit secession

“Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.” The Article also prohibited the secession of any member state (“the union shall be perpetual,” Article XIII) unless all of the states agreed to dissolve the Articles."

But 6 years later The Articles of Confederation were replaced with The U.S. Constitution which did not include a clause for a "Perpetual Union" nor any restriction on secession.

In 1814 The Federalist Party held a secession convention in New England.
There were also 2 other threats of seccession by New England.

After the Civil War, Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederacy, was arrested for treason. The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court told President Johnson that if Davis was tried for treason that the U.S. would lose because there was nothing in the Constitution that forbids secession.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,375,216 times
Quote:
Thank you, I'm sure it beats your rant before it hands down. I didn't really expect you to say any differently. I'm sure the "Lies and BS" will have a different meaning to anyone following your nonsense.

Oh, is there another thread where you went on one of your little tantrums since that is actually the correct thread?

[lol He criticized my education, EXACTLY as I predicted above. Morons are sooo predictable]
First you come charging into a thread - without even knowing that I was responding to someone wanting the South to "burn, baby, burn," proceed to crucify me and accuse me outright of being a prick and a racist, and now you attempt to spin your past tantrums on ME?

Grow up, kid.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike peterson View Post
just too much wrong in there. Here is a little history for you.

From the declaration of independence

"that these united colonies are, and of right ought to be free and independent states; that they are absolved of all allegiance to the british crown, and that all political connection between them and the state of great britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as free and independent states, they have full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which independent states may of right do."

the articles of confederation in 1781 did prohibit secession

“each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this confederation expressly delegated to the united states, in congress assembled.” the article also prohibited the secession of any member state (“the union shall be perpetual,” article xiii) unless all of the states agreed to dissolve the articles."

but 6 years later the articles of confederation were replaced with the u.s. Constitution which did not include a clause for a "perpetual union" nor any restriction on secession.

In 1814 the federalist party held a secession convention in new england.
There were also 2 other threats of seccession by new england.

After the civil war, jefferson davis, the president of the confederacy, was arrested for treason. The chief justice of the supreme court told president johnson that if davis was tried for treason that the u.s. Would lose because there was nothing in the constitution that forbids secession.

I hope this clears it up for you.
:d

Old 04-08-2010, 05:19 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,723,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakarot2 View Post
I did not realize the large cities had no public transport. I know AT's public transit is acually better then LA's which is a very liberal city.
Houston (whose single line light rail service for a city of 2.5mil is simply embarrassing), San Antonio, Austin, Ft. Worth, Memphis, El Paso, Nashville, Louisville, Virginia Beach, Raleigh, Birmingham, Winston-Salem, etc.

By mass transit Goku I mean rail, not a bus system.

Quote:
Lets just ignore the other 100 or so schools on this list. I guess all those southern school must be in little "liberal oases" since this is sooo unreal ahahaa.
Yep, I guess so since that perfectly explains the failure of the states at large.

Quote:
I like how Alabama has a higher rate then the almighty New York.
I must have missed that since I was focusing on how the South's rate was a full 12% less than the MW, and 8% less than the NE, but if Alabama thinks it's a great thing to have a 66% grad. rate (while not having to deal with the inner-city schools problem than NY does) then more power to them.

Quote:
Sorry, not a neo-con bro. I lean further right then that.
KKK far right?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Houston (whose single line light rail service for a city of 2.5mil is simply embarrassing), San Antonio, Austin, Ft. Worth, Memphis, El Paso, Nashville, Louisville, Virginia Beach, Raleigh, Birmingham, Winston-Salem, etc.

By mass transit Goku I mean rail, not a bus system.
Stop calling me Goku. Kakarot is my saiyan name.

Those cities have experienced most of their growth for car culture in the last 50 years. Most of the citizens live in sprawl so a train is not something most people would use. Aside from rail not being the end all be all of public transit (New Orleans has a trolly system), many are developing them as downtown become gentrified. It is more of issue with need then funds bro.

Quote:
Yep, I guess so since that perfectly explains the failure of the states at large.
Tell me how they failed. I like how so many Americans are moving to growing "failing" states.

Quote:
I must have missed that since I was focusing on how the South's rate was a full 12% less than the MW, and 8% less than the NE, but if Alabama thinks it's a great thing to have a 66% grad. rate (while not having to deal with the inner-city schools problem than NY does) then more power to them.

New York had a 65 and you don't seem to think that is bad. Aside from that there are way more states and way more illegal immigrants in the Southern states which would explain why California's rates are very similar to southern states.

Quote:
KKK far right?
More like Libertarian right. Get your head out of the box man.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:36 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,723,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
First you come charging into a thread - without even knowing that I was responding to someone wanting the South to "burn, baby, burn," proceed to crucify me and accuse me outright of being a prick and a racist, and now you attempt to spin your past tantrums on ME?

Grow up, kid.
Wow, anyone every tell you that you are really good at twisting the truth, or maybe you're just a flat out chronic lier.

Let me refresh your very short memory. When I first posted it had nothing to do with you. Then I see you flame me with your deluded "the North hates us" nonsense with words like "hate speech" and "repulsive" being thrown around. I responded appropriately and you accused me of agreeing to whatever this "burn, baby, burn" nonsense is (probably some sort of fabrication).

I'm not accusing you of anything. You're posts and your treatment of other posters show that you're a prick. I don't know where racist came from (another lie? *sigh*) but what the hell you're probably that as well. I try to treat people with utmost respect but when someone goes around insulting people just voicing their opinions (in this case comdemning slavery/the Confederacy) for no reason, I can play that game too...

oh btw reusing my words (such as "tantrum") and throwing them back at me shows your limited intelligence.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
does anybody care to respond to this?
The numbers for 1790 are below

And the profiteering wasn't limited to the owners, the traders made the biggest profits and than included many from the north.
Quote:
The effects of the New England slave trade were momentous. It was one of the foundations of New England's economic structure; it created a wealthy class of slave-trading merchants, while the profits derived from this commerce stimulated cultural development and philanthropy. --Lorenzo Johnston Greene, “The Negro in Colonial New England, 1620-1776,” p.319.
Number of Slaves by state in 1790

Slaves in the Union/North:
Maryland - 103,036
Delaware - 8,887
New Jersey - 11,423
All other Union states and Washington DC- 28663

Slaves in the Confederacy/South:
Alabama - 0
Arkansas - 0
Florida - 0
Georgia - 29268
Kentucky - 12430
Louisiana - 0
Mississippi - 0
Missouri - 0
North Carolina - 100,783
South Carolina - 107,094
Tennessee - 0
Texas - 0
Virginia - 292,627
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.