Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:25 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I don't about you but I'm a white guy who never clicked with the other white folks because of my family background (lower class)
My best friend is puerto rican and I never met any other friend quite like him. Most my friends are also Hispanic or black. (my gf is also black)

From personal experience, I was never treated like a person of less importance except when it came to white people. The white people around here usually don't tend to fall in with lower class, and they tend to not associate them either. (not always in an arrogant way, but more because they had nothing in common)

It depends on how you were brought up. You cant just generalize and claim that the people who prefer diversity are only doing it to be politically correct. That's like saying you hate diversity because you're a racist
I have a near identical story, but replace white with black and lower class with middle class. as for diversity, I find that even in places that are racially diverse, not only are the races divided, but within the groups, there is no variety. In so-called diverse neighborhoods,most of the whites are yuppish, most of the blacks are ghetto, and most of the Lations and Asians are very self-segregating and insist on either not learning English or using it even when it's not necessary. What about the non-yuppie white, non-ghetto black, non-fobbbish Asian, or assimilated Latino? If you don't fit into these groups in every way, you're socially SOL. A lot of self-congragulatory liberal and "educated" people will rant about diversity is the "end-all be-all" to America's racism, but in most diverse neighborhoods, the differences and tension are usually amplified instead of nullified.

A good example is in a city an earlier poster mentioned, Washington DC. There are quite a few neighborhoods where its diverse, but the groups are so culturally and socioeconomically monolithic that it causes more division than unity. The neighborhoods that are more integrated have people who share more commonalities with each other like income, language, and political views. Sure these neighborhoods may not be the most diverse, but there's a sense of enough similarities in order to at least not completely shield oneself from others of different races, religions, and nationalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 06:32 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,958,154 times
D.C. is a very diverse city, but its still very segregated. Anything East of the Anacostia river is about 97% black and anything west of 18th Street NW is about 96% White. Two very different world. NE and SE DC reminds me of Oakland/Baltimore because of the racial demographics, crime, culture. The more affluent NW DC reminds me of Manhattan/San Francisco.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
the more people are alike racially the more people seem to get along with less tension and all the problems that come with multiculturism.

Having your differences with multi-culture can create conflict, but if you're willing to understand their culture or the individual, I find it's very easy to get along with anyone open-minded.

People like me who are looking for a more 'diverse' community is because it is easier to be accepted in such a mixed community. I'm Chinese/Filipino(speaking no other language but English)and have learned which places not to go where you get 'stink-eyed' in Washington. Where the people in the store greet my husband (who is white) when he enters a store and completely ignore me when I look to greet them as well.

Racism is out there. Living in Hawaii and being Asian I never understood what my husband was talking about when he said that he felt people giving him dirty looks. It seems Hawaii is made up of different communities but in every way they are still segregated. Especially towards white folks they’re almost territorial. Being a couple of mixed race, it's difficult to find a city who will be genuinely friendly to a person of Hispanic, Caucasian, African American, Asian or any other race just the same

Old 04-09-2010, 06:53 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I have a near identical story, but replace white with black and lower class with middle class. as for diversity, I find that even in places that are racially diverse, not only are the races divided, but within the groups, there is no variety. In so-called diverse neighborhoods,most of the whites are yuppish, most of the blacks are ghetto, and most of the Lations and Asians are very self-segregating and insist on either not learning English or using it even when it's not necessary. What about the non-yuppie white, non-ghetto black, non-fobbbish Asian, or assimilated Latino? If you don't fit into these groups in every way, you're socially SOL. A lot of self-congragulatory liberal and "educated" people will rant about diversity is the "end-all be-all" to America's racism, but in most diverse neighborhoods, the differences and tension are usually amplified instead of nullified.

A good example is in a city an earlier poster mentioned, Washington DC. There are quite a few neighborhoods where its diverse, but the groups are so culturally and socioeconomically monolithic that it causes more division than unity. The neighborhoods that are more integrated have people who share more commonalities with each other like income, language, and political views. Sure these neighborhoods may not be the most diverse, but there's a sense of enough similarities in order to at least not completely shield oneself from others of different races, religions, and nationalities.
I think you to keep this in mind with only where you live. This is not the case necessarily in all "diverse" communities.

I notice that where I live there are many working class/poorer neighborhoods that are ethnically/racially diverse and the kids in these areas seem to interact with each other quite a bit. Same in the more diverse middle class neighborhoods too. So, it depends.......

Old 04-09-2010, 07:00 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,720,129 times
It's interesting. I don't really get it either, 50% of people who claim to want a diverse place won't ever go to "that side of town." It really makes more sense. I prefer White people because I have alot more in common with Whites than I ever will with Blacks. I can't pretend to be Black, and I can't pretend to understand why Blacks act different from me, after all we have so much in common.

I'll probably live in White areas till I die (or until my race becomes the minority by 2050, thank goodness I'll be about 70). Not to be racist, but I couldn't imagine living in a country where Hispanics and Blacks outnumber Whites. I can understand Blacks being about the same number, but Hispanics weren't even a significant population outside the border states and Florida until 30 years ago… It's scary when you think that we won't be able to recognize this country in 40 years… Hopefully I'll still be allowed to speak English.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:13 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
It's interesting. I don't really get it either, 50% of people who claim to want a diverse place won't ever go to "that side of town." It really makes more sense. I prefer White people because I have alot more in common with Whites than I ever will with Blacks. I can't pretend to be Black, and I can't pretend to understand why Blacks act different from me, after all we have so much in common.

I'll probably live in White areas till I die (or until my race becomes the minority by 2050, thank goodness I'll be about 70). Not to be racist, but I couldn't imagine living in a country where Hispanics and Blacks outnumber Whites. I can understand Blacks being about the same number, but Hispanics weren't even a significant population outside the border states and Florida until 30 years ago… It's scary when you think that we won't be able to recognize this country in 40 years… Hopefully I'll still be allowed to speak English.
I actually get your second sentence about people not going to certain parts of town, but I think people get too caught up in thinking all Blacks live in the 'hood too.

Also, having something in common can cross racial and ethnic lines. So, it's not always about the general socio-historical experience that one comes from. What about religious, political, musical, athletic and other social interests? So, that isn't as simple as some would make it out to be.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:27 PM

32 posts, read 46,535 times
Most people on this site argue over thing that have little to no affect on them just to boost their favorite city/and or region. In real life most people only care about the variety of food different cultures brings and that is about it.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:26 PM

139 posts, read 530,508 times
I enjoy meeting people from different places, with different customs. I have lived in several countries and speak four languages. However, when I come home, to my house or my community I really feel more comfortable being around those who look and speak like me, and who understand my values and culture without my having to explain it. It is just more restful.
It seems strange to me, and I think it is about the first time in history people have actually sought to live at close quarters with those who look, think, and feel differently from them, but I see this all the time.
Black people I have spoken with feel more relaxed around other black people, in black communities, too. Probably Hispanics and Asians feel the same way.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:17 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I much prefer a diverse neighborhood, and am not proclaiming that just to go along with some PC notion. Having everyone the same is boring. That said, I certainly would never say that just because everyone in an area has the same skin color in any way means that they have anything else in common.

I feel uncomfortable in communities where everyone is white like me. I don't assume that someone shares my values or interests or culture just because they happen to be white. In fact (and this is probably a bit unfair, depending on location) if I'm in a place that is entirely white I'll be far more likely to assume that those people DON'T share anything in common with me, because otherwise what would they be doing living in such a segregated place?

Racial diversity isn't my top priority when looking at a place, but I definitely would feel uncomfortable in a neighborhood where everyone fit the same demographic profile. Let's just say that Sesame Street, at least Sesame Street of the '70s and '80s, pretty much sums up my dream neighborhood. I like diversity in terms of age, ethnicity, interests, politics, family status, economic level, etc. Race is just one small piece of that, although obviously it's more visible than some of the other things.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:37 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,490,912 times
Simple. Seeing the same thing all day everyday is boring. There are so many different things out there to see and learn, so why should I confine myself to a box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.