Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 08:14 AM

992 posts, read 876,254 times

Advertisements

Mid-Atlantic (but formerly South) - Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia (mostly)
Atlantic South - North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina
Inland South - West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee
Deep South - Alabama, Mississippi
South Central/Texas - Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana
Florida - Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 08:41 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Mid-Atlantic (but formerly South) - Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia (mostly)
Atlantic South - North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina
Inland South - West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee
Deep South - Alabama, Mississippi
South Central/Texas - Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana
Florida - Florida
If Florida is its own thing, Texas should be also IMO.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:40 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Since my last post, one that raised a valid point, was tossed for 'trolling,' let me be more specific: The OP has pet peeves about drawing imaginary lines on a map, then turns around and does it himself.

It's just dumb to take a state, any state, and shove it into a box. For example, if we're talking about Florida, we're talking about a host of states within a state. You have Miami, the Keys, SW Florida, Orlando, the Panhandle, etc. All of them are really different in terms of culture, demographics, and economic prospects.

In Alabama, you have the Mobile area, which is its own interesting thing, then the section that stretches from the Florida state line past Montgomery to Clanton, to that corridor that stretches between Birmingham and Huntsville. Again, utterly different regions. In that sense, a resident of Huntsville or Birmingham will have more in common with a resident of Raleigh or Richmond than they would have with folks who live thirty miles away.

Pick any state. Northern Louisiana and Southern Louisiana are markedly different. The same is true of South Carolina. All of them. In each state, you'll find regions that remained mired in early 20th Century and others that are moving ahead rather smartly. And, for the record, the same is true anywhere you go. New York state. California. You name it.

So perhaps we are better served with a different set of definitions: The rural South, the white-collar South, the blue-collar South, etc. etc. That will be much more useful in terms of defining individual regions than arbitrary and simplistic categories. Drawing imaginary lines on a map does zero for understanding the culture of a state, let alone anything else. In fact, it does precisely the opposite.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:45 AM

2,596 posts, read 4,659,459 times
Default boredatwork

I would stay Baltimore is just mid-atlantic. I don't see the southerness in it like I can see in some DC folks. Alot of old DC folks sound exactly like they are from Chesapeake, VA but I cant tell where the Baltimore accent comes from. I remember the Baltimore style from years ago and it was very northern. Nowadays its southern all the sudden.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:22 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Southeast - Culturally: FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, KY, TN, AL, MS, LA, AR. Geographically: ALL + DC, MD, WV, DE

South - Same as above + TX, OK, MO.

South central - TX, OK, LA, AR. Maybe MO.

Deep South - LA, MS, AL, GA

South Atlantic - FL, GA, SC, NC

Mid Atlantic - VA, DC, MD, DE

Gulf Coast - FL, AL, MS, LA, TX

New South - GA, SC, NC

SEC - FL, GA, SC, TN, KY, AL, MS, LA, TX, AR, MO

My definitions aren't absolute like other peoples. I see the arguments for DE, MD, and DC as "northern." And I think OK and MO are still "midwestern" as well. These are just my loose definitions.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:47 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Southeast - Culturally: FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, KY, TN, AL, MS, LA, AR. Geographically: ALL + DC, MD, WV, DE

South - Same as above + TX, OK, MO.

South central - TX, OK, LA, AR. Maybe MO.

Deep South - LA, MS, AL, GA

South Atlantic - FL, GA, SC, NC

Mid Atlantic - VA, DC, MD, DE

Gulf Coast - FL, AL, MS, LA, TX

New South - GA, SC, NC

SEC - FL, GA, SC, TN, KY, AL, MS, LA, TX, AR, MO

My definitions aren't absolute like other peoples. I see the arguments for DE, MD, and DC as "northern." And I think OK and MO are still "midwestern" as well. These are just my loose definitions.
I think "New South" is much more applicable to metro areas than entire states. Otherwise it most definitely should also include VA, FL, and TX and I'd probably omit SC since it lacks a major high-growth city/metro with a large white collar job base.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:12 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
You can keep denying it and it doesn't make it true.
Both the Federal government (and the Maryland state government) and Southern frigin' Living Magazine consider Maryland the South. Because it is.
I wouldn't go by what the feds say. Have you seen what they consider Appalachian, it goes all the way over into Mississippi, almost to the dang river! And whats with the two counties in TN off all by themselves? Feds define regions for political consideration, not what makes sense.

https://www.arc.gov/research/MapsofA....asp?MAP_ID=31

Old 04-04-2017, 04:03 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I wouldn't go by what the feds say. Have you seen what they consider Appalachian, it goes all the way over into Mississippi, almost to the dang river! And whats with the two counties in TN off all by themselves? Feds define regions for political consideration, not what makes sense.

https://www.arc.gov/research/MapsofA....asp?MAP_ID=31
True.

Even if you don't consider PA, NY or Ohio to be part of Appalachia you can at least say they are geographically accurate. I don't really know how Mississippi got involved and two counties in central TN is a little odd.

Mississippi does need financial aid but it seems like they could have done something to focus especially on that area?

Old 04-04-2017, 10:57 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
According to Canadians the entire US is the south.

Except Alaska; they're the West Coast.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:04 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Here's one way I'd group it...

Appalachia:North GA, East TN, Northwest SC, Western NC, Eastern KY, Western VA.

Upper Atlantic: Coastal VA, Coastal NC

Lower Atlantic: Coastal SC, Coastal GA, Eastern FL

Piedmont: Interiors of GA, SC, NC and VA.

Deep South: SC, GA, AL, northern FL, western TN, MS, southern and eastern AR, LA and east TX.

Gulf Coast: Coastal areas of TX, LA, MS, AL and western FL.

Ozarks: Northern AR and Eastern OK.

Southern Plains: OK and most of TX.

Upper Inland South: KY and TN, northern half of AR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.