Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 10:18 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/56878550-post37.html

Texas is not Southern. Texas is Texas.

Its own nation: A wonderful, beautiful, and unique amalgamation of Texan, Tejano, Mexican, Southern, Midwestern, Western, and Southwestern.

More about Texas:

I adore Texas. Texas is a nation itself. I place Texas in a similar category as Poland, Spain, Romania, Italy, Ukraine, etc. Texas is the kind of place where a student can study abroad for a year, go deep, and only travel around Texas. Not including Texas in The American South has nothing to do with "Ewww, as if, stay away." It's about giving Texas the proper respect and prestige it deserves. Texas is not just a simple state hanging on to the western part of The American South. It is its own nation, its own region, its own culture--and yes, that includes many cultural elements, etc. of The American South mixed together in the amalgamation that is Texas.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/52701890-post121.html
I mean Texas is a state not a nation and if that discounts Texas from being apart of the American South than why not Louisiana? Louisiana is just as diverse and culturally rich and complex much different than other southern states. I mean it's the only state in the countries that goes by parishes instead of counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 10:57 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Because that forumer likes to claim Atlanta as the default capital of the South (as if Atlanta has anything to do with places like Virginia or Lousiana) and if Texas gets involved it brings Dallas & Houston into play. Their motive is so easy to read..
To be fair, he includes Arkansas and Kentucky in his definition of the South and they are well outside of Atlanta's orbit. Personally I include Texas as part of the South but it's still its own thing and is where at least two regions (depending on how one categorizes and defines them) meet; those reasons are why many people, including several Texans themselves, don't consider it a part of the South and simply consider it its own entity.

And more specifically, Atlanta is the capital of the Southeast. That doesn't include Texas which is considered a South Central state, but it includes all of Florida and Miami's inclusion doesn't really change that as it has more international (Latin American) ties than domestic ties.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I mean Texas is a state not a nation and if that discounts Texas from being apart of the American South than why not Louisiana? Louisiana is just as diverse and culturally rich and complex much different than other southern states. I mean it's the only state in the countries that goes by parishes instead of counties.
Although definitely unique within the region, all of Louisiana is in the South whereas Texas is where different regions, namely the South, Southwest, and Great Plains, meet. Granted most of the state's population would be in the portion considered the South with the Texas Triangle being more or less the western edge of the region, but geographically there's a nice chunk of the state in the Southwest.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:11 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,699,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
To be fair, he includes Arkansas and Kentucky in his definition of the South and they are well outside of Atlanta's orbit. Personally I include Texas as part of the South but it's still its own thing and is where at least two regions (depending on how one categorizes and defines them) meet; those reasons are why many people, including several Texans themselves, don't consider it a part of the South and simply consider it its own entity.

And more specifically, Atlanta is the capital of the Southeast. That doesn't include Texas which is considered a South Central state, but it includes all of Florida and Miami's inclusion doesn't really change that as it has more international (Latin American) ties than domestic ties.
He said specifically capital of American South. You are saying capital of Southeast. I think you are being a bit naive to his attempt at selling Atlanta as per his usual propaganda posts. He doesnt care much for places like Arkansa and Kentucky so they can just fall in line to Atlantas sphere.

But if Lousiana and Virginia are part of the Southeast, how is Atlanta the capital? It has no influence what so ever, theres no major economic ties or reliance, unless you just mean the biggest city? It really only makes sense if he meant capital of the deep south which encompasses maybe 4 states.

Last edited by Ebck120; 04-30-2020 at 11:20 PM..

Old 04-30-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
But if Lousiana and Virginia are part of the Southeast, how is Atlanta the capital? It has no influence what so ever, unless you just mean the biggest city? It really only makes sense if he meant capital of the deep south.
Atlanta is the biggest and most influential city in the region, across several states; that's typically what is meant when people say a place is a capital in a geographical and non-political sense. Of course the outer edges of the region won't be quite as influenced as places closer in (Atlanta does has some influence in LA, less so in VA), but that doesn't negate the scope of its regional influence. In much the same way, Boston is the capital of New England but parts of Connecticut are in NYC's metro and I'm sure many people in Vermont probably head to Montreal for big city stuff over Boston.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:36 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:

Yes...for the most part.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:37 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,403,950 times
Quote:
Personally I do see Louisiana as a peripheral member of the south, primarily due to the French influence but also the fact New Orleans was a melting pot full of transplants 150 years ago. The culture in Louisiana is notably distinct from Alabama, Miss, Georgia, SC, etc.

That said, geographically, Louisiana is without question in the south. Texas on the other hand is a massive state and much of it is a complete different region. El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than to Louisiana. As far as Louisiana may be from Atlanta, New Orleans is closer to Atlanta than it is to Austin, San Antonio, or Dallas.

If every state has to live in exactly one region, then perhaps Texas is the South, but only in plurality.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
He said specifically capital of American South. You are saying capital of Southeast. I think you are being a bit naive to his attempt at selling Atlanta as per his usual propaganda posts. He doesnt care much for places like Arkansa and Kentucky so they can just fall in line to Atlantas sphere.

But if Lousiana and Virginia are part of the Southeast, how is Atlanta the capital? It has no influence what so ever, theres no major economic ties or reliance, unless you just mean the biggest city? It really only makes sense if he meant capital of the deep south which encompasses maybe 4 states.
What crazy cosplay-world do you live in??? Who in the hell thinks like this?

Old 04-30-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Atlanta is the biggest and most influential city in the region, across several states; that's typically what is meant when people say a place is a capital in a geographical and non-political sense. Of course the outer edges of the region won't be quite as influenced as places closer in (Atlanta does has some influence in LA, less so in VA), but that doesn't negate the scope of its regional influence. In much the same way, Boston is the capital of New England but parts of Connecticut are in NYC's metro and I'm sure many people in Vermont probably head to Montreal for big city stuff over Boston.
This.

And for the record that's why I include "South Virginia" not NOVA in my designations/list.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Texas is most definitely a nation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/nation

https://rare.us/rare-life/travel/texas-country-facts/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.