Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:00 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
Originally they were but that was done by former colonial powers.
Huh? I'm not sure what you mean.

What I'm saying is, there are different regions, and they happen to follow the boundaries of agriculture, or topography. In South Carolina, for example, the Piedmont and foothills are mostly pastureland. The coastal plain is row crops: cotton, peanuts, tobacco, corn, etc.

This "imaginary line" created by agriculture are important to an area's accent, food, race, and major ethnicities/nationalities. For example, like that map shows, the flat coastal plain of South Carolina is very similar to south Georgia, south Alabama, north Florida, etc. - lots of decendants of Africans, English, Welsh, Germans, and French Hueguenots. The upland areas of SC are very similar to east Tennessee, north Georgia, north Alabama, etc., with lots of Scotch-Irish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 02:22 PM

646 posts, read 814,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Huh? I'm not sure what you mean.

What I'm saying is, there are different regions, and they happen to follow the boundaries of agriculture, or topography. In South Carolina, for example, the Piedmont and foothills are mostly pastureland. The coastal plain is row crops: cotton, peanuts, tobacco, corn, etc.

This "imaginary line" created by agriculture are important to an area's accent, food, race, and major ethnicities/nationalities. For example, like that map shows, the flat coastal plain of South Carolina is very similar to south Georgia, south Alabama, north Florida, etc. - lots of decendants of Africans, English, Welsh, Germans, and French Hueguenots. The upland areas of SC are very similar to east Tennessee, north Georgia, north Alabama, etc., with lots of Scotch-Irish.

Yes but originally tobacco for one as well as cotton for textiles, a plantation economy was established by England to service itself, get the goods to factories over there (later up north) for processing and local consumption. This was done all over the empires, tea, mining, etc. Later yes it became rooted in US culture. So I'm going back a little further with why it came about when Europeans first came. Apples and cider was done up north before to service those govts. Plantation economies were everywhere in the New World, they stuck with the choice crops later on that had been established and decided by the settlers.

I'm not really disputing what you said, just adding to it to show why it came about.
Just a toss.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:28 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
In the OP map, what's the white square by Lynchburg, VA?

Old 11-19-2007, 02:52 PM

884 posts, read 1,034,387 times
I think sub-regions in the South are clearly defined as to the populations Mullet type and how well groomed they are.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:47 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Very interesting map Colts and, broadly speaking, not a helluva lot I would disagree vehemently with. Especially as it is a mental and perceptual map. All of us might have different ones, but again, this one of yours is impressive.

Personally, (as Texas is what I know most about), I have a problem with the "Central Texas" running as far north to south as it does. Somewhere around San Antonio, more and more it is becoming something like "Texaco" (no pun intended! LOL).

The Great Plains part? I could agree with that in some ways (although I would push the eastern border further west to the panhandle border) IF it didn't extend any further north THAN Texas or Oklahoma. That is to say if, on a national scale, it went on up to South Dakota? Then it would NOT be a cultural region. The Great Plains is topographical as a "region"...not much else. Other than the upper parts of the Texas panhandle, there is nothing at all in common with Kansas or Nebraska.

But anyway, all in all, it is a dad gum nice piece of work and opinion, Colt! Dad gummed if I wish I had the software (tell us more about it) to work up the same subjective map! I imagine many of us do. Can you give some guidance on that...?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:09 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times
Default Regions of South

Upper South:
-Maryland
-Washington, D.C.
-West Virginia
-Delaware
-Northern Virginia

Deep South:
-Everywhere else

Sorry but its been a pet peeve of mine that DC and Maryland are considered the south because of an imaginary line that was drawn back before America was a country

Old 04-29-2010, 10:04 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
Upper South:
-Maryland
-Washington, D.C.
-West Virginia
-Delaware
-Northern Virginia

Deep South:
-Everywhere else

Sorry but its been a pet peeve of mine that DC and Maryland are considered the south because of an imaginary line that was drawn back before America was a country
Although, I'm sure we have very different views on the South, I can't agree more with the bolded statement. TexasReb said it best a while ago. "Nothing Southern about them, save the Census definition". No one sees these regions as Southern except the stubborn fools who say "The Census says it, it must be true no matter what".

My pet peeve is the people who say "Whether you like it or not, they're considered Southern." By who? An outdated government label? I'm pretty certain that most members of the federal government do not even consider Delaware "the South". Wake up.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times
ive actually mapped this out here

Old 04-29-2010, 10:56 PM

160 posts, read 183,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
Upper South:
-Maryland
-Washington, D.C.
-West Virginia
-Delaware
-Northern Virginia

Deep South:
-Everywhere else

Maryland is not southern. DC definitely is not southern. West Virginia, i dont know about them. Even though the sons of confederate veterans has a chapter located in la plata, MD. Why would the sons of confederate veterans have a chapter in a non-southern state? Maryland history definitely is southern, they have plantations and antebellum homes up there. Why should people from the deep south be the judges of what is southern and what is not? But who cares...

I'm from Northern VA and don't consider myself a southerner in anyway.

Upper South = Virginia, *Maryland, DC, Delaware*, West VA, Kentucky, Missouri

Mid-South = Tennessee, North Carolina, Arkansas

Deep South - South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Lousiana, Florida, eastern texas - the rest of TX is southwestern to me. Don't know where to put Oklahoma though lol..

I guess all these states are considered the south?

Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
Maryland is not southern.
I've heard that culturally, certain parts of Maryland are indeed Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.