Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2010, 01:03 AM

404 posts, read 596,069 times

Advertisements

One of them is the Kansas River, and the other the Missouri river that leads across I-70 toward St. Louis. People mistake it for some kind of dry prairie land, when it is actually centered around large bodies of water.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:10 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
For most of the Country 2 rivers are not considered "large bodies of water".

Don't get me wrong I like the KC area and have friends that used to live there (Bonner Springs actually). I always enjoyed visiting there and never viewed it as dry prairie land. Prairie land, yes without a doubt.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:24 PM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
The Missouri River and Kansas River are pretty shallow compared to the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers. KC is the edge of the Plains and edge of the Midwest with Ozarks influences. It is not as lush compared to the river valleys further to the east.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:00 AM

404 posts, read 596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Missouri River and Kansas River are pretty shallow compared to the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers. KC is the edge of the Plains and edge of the Midwest with Ozarks influences. It is not as lush compared to the river valleys further to the east.
The point is they are rivers that extend across the country, a couple nights ago someone was debating me on Cleveland vs. Kansas City, they basically compare Lake Erie to the Missouri/Kansas river's which trump Lake Erie in terms of overall...water. lol.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoKC View Post
The point is they are rivers that extend across the country, a couple nights ago someone was debating me on Cleveland vs. Kansas City, they basically compare Lake Erie to the Missouri/Kansas river's which trump Lake Erie in terms of overall...water. lol.
If the entire length ran through the KC area, or the entire volume of water was there at one time it still falls short. The last time I was in KC there was no place that the water was very wide or deep in either river, compared to even a small lake, let alone one of the Great Lakes. If you want to say that you get to count all the water volume in an entire system because it passes through a city, then Cleveland would get to count the entire Great Lakes system and the St.Lawrence river as well. The Great Lakes is also a system that inflows and outflows water throughout it's entire length.

Your comparison is totally wrong. If you insist that a couple rivers are "large bodies of water" then it must be a dry place and you have no reference to what that phrase really means.

To understand the amount of water that Cleveland sits beside (Lake Erie) you have to understand the volume of water you are talking about. Lake Erie holds 119 cubic MILES of water which is equal to 17,516,556,288,000 cubic feet of water. The Missouri river at it's confluence with the Mississippi river (which includes the flow of the Kansas River at that point as well) is flowing on average 89,950 cubic feet per second. That means it would take 6.2 YEARS to equal the volume of water in Lake Erie. At KC the flow is only 56950 cubic feet/sec (also including the Kansas river water flow). Of course that isn't counting that Lake Erie only has a water retention rate of 2.6 years, so it would have changed water a couple of times during those 6.2 years the Missouri river was trying to catch up.

Last edited by Bydand; 05-02-2010 at 06:33 AM..

Old 05-02-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoKC View Post
a couple nights ago someone was debating me on Cleveland vs. Kansas City,
I didn't know calling each other Trolls and saying the cities each sucked was considered a debate. Sounds more like a 3rd grade argument on a playground to me.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
General US has a single city rule. I don't see a General US topic here. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.