Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyt937 View Post
miami and phoenix will be up there
I'd say Miami is already popular.

I definatly think Houston has potential to become a popular city if the city would just get started on the new rail lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 10:54 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Dudes... why do you keep reviving threads that are over a year old, posted by MattDen who is not even a city-data member any more? I just don't get... especially with fun and exciting threads going on like "San Diego vs Japan" and "Detroit vs Lake Havasu City"?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:56 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
I hope to see New Orleans do a little better for itself in the future. I think they are on the right track, but I guess only time will tell.

Would also love to see these cities become more popular:

Fairbanks, Alaska
Little Rock, Arkansas
Jackson, Mississippi
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Kansas City, Missourri
Jacksonville, Florida
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Indianapolis, Indiana

Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 PM

110 posts, read 390,439 times
HAHA HA ,No one mentioned Baton Rouge...HMMMM
I think D.C. proper could be back to it 1950-1960 popluatiom counts of about 900 k in about 15-20 years.. if crimes counties to sat below the 90's eara numbers...

Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
Kansas City is great. If anyone told me they were moving to the Midwest,
Kansas City would be my first recommendation. They have a lot of great malls, stores, and great restaurants. Being close to Worlds of Fun would be nice. The only thing I would warn people about is the Missouri side of Kansas City. It is just as nice as the Kansas side, but some of the areas on the MO side kind of made me a little nervous. Kansas City does seem to be very affordable for a city it's size. I really like Overland Park.
I would much rather live in Kansas City than where I am currently living(Lincoln, NE). Lincoln is nice, but I like KC a lot better.
Something good has come from the Great Plains. I remember a poster confused on why KC declares itself as a "world class" city when it is so tiny--KC is on the GaWC list for some reason. I like the cliffs near DT KCMO along I-35. It's breathtaking to drive through prairie in the Kansas suburbs and then approach downtown along a hill with the state line cutting through it. After downtown the freeway gets confusing but it follows the cliffs until reaching the Missouri suburbs.

I still prefer Chicago if I wanted to live in the Midwest but KC is my second choice. I would recommend it as an option to someone moving to the Great Plains.

Also Cleveland seems to be more likely to bounce back than Detroit. The lake is much wider there, creating a Chicago-like scene. I see lots of YouTube videos of Cleveland's network stations during the 1970's which might create an awareness of the city for someone who bumps into those videos by accident or by a fortuitous chance.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I concur that after decades of unabashed decline, the decade between 2010-2020 should herald respectable population growth in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. We were rated several months ago I believe as having the nation's fourth-most-affordable housing market, and we're only two hours from Philadelphia or New York City, as MattDen said in his original post. The counties adjacent to us (Monroe and Pike) are amongst the fastest-growing in the entire state, and for the past two years or so the metropolitan area has finally shown estimated population gains. It's great that you can still find a nice home here in which to raise your family for under $200,000.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:46 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
I think almost every US city who's been in the dumps in the past 30 years will come back full force by 2020

Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I concur that after decades of unabashed decline, the decade between 2010-2020 should herald respectable population growth in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. We were rated several months ago I believe as having the nation's fourth-most-affordable housing market, and we're only two hours from Philadelphia or New York City, as MattDen said in his original post. The counties adjacent to us (Monroe and Pike) are amongst the fastest-growing in the entire state, and for the past two years or so the metropolitan area has finally shown estimated population gains. It's great that you can still find a nice home here in which to raise your family for under $200,000.
Question though... two hours from New York City is great, but isn't that too hours too many? How realistic is it really commuting to New York City, especially with gas prices the way they are and climbing? Even if there was a train going straight from downtown Scranton to midtown Manhattan, how many people honestly want to spend four or more hours every day commuting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.