Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times

Advertisements

You know, that city with the cool skyline across from downtown Manhattan.

I feel like no one outside of NJ even recognize it for what it actual is as a city. It's only known because of its location under NYC's shadow.
It's overall crime rate is comparable to Boston's, yet I've seen people on here refer it as a complete ghetto dump. (it has it's bad areas, but nothing worst than what you can find in Boston)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZdSWKJHmhs

Anyway, I'm just curious to see what outsiders think of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:37 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You know, that city with the cool skyline across from downtown Manhattan.

I feel like no one outside of NJ even recognize it for what it actual is as a city. It's only known because of its location under NYC's shadow.
It's overall crime rate is comparable to Boston's, yet I've seen people on here refer it as a complete ghetto dump. (it has it's bad areas, but nothing worst than what you can find in Boston)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZdSWKJHmhs

Anyway, I'm just curious to see what outsiders think of the city.
I'd love to live there. I like a change in scenery. But if I do live there, it would only be temporary. No place on Earth can keep me interested for more than 10 years.

I've always known about Jersey City. In fact, there was a cartoon show I used to watch long back on Cartoon Network that was set in JC. So I definitely knew of the name.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:19 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
It's only known because of its location under NYC's shadow.
I think it's the other way around: Jersey City doesn't get recognition because it's in New York's shadow. Not much you can do about the geographical location; it's how urban areas in this part of the country developed, that's all.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:52 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
JC will continue to get better. It's proximity to NY and slightly more affordable price point makes it very attractive. I also think the downtown can continue to grow as it is so close to lower Manhatten and will likely benefit from all of the WTC development and PATH improvements. It will never it's own recognition as it sits in the shawdows of Gotham. But can see it becoming more and more of hip hood of the NYC area. Much as it has and much as Brooklyn etc has.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think it's the other way around: Jersey City doesn't get recognition because it's in New York's shadow. Not much you can do about the geographical location; it's how urban areas in this part of the country developed, that's all.
True, but at the same time Jersey City as well as your own Brooklyn would be very different if it were not for New York City. Both were historically alot smaller, especially Brooklyn before it took over the entire Kings County.

To answer the OPs question --- I am pretty impressed by Jersey City and the way it is growing. And the Jersey City skyline is a great addition to the whole bay area with the skylines of Brooklyn and especially Manhattan.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:44 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
Its a nice, improving place. My great greats are from there, so im connected to it!

Old 06-05-2010, 12:05 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,725,521 times
JC is pretty much another section of NYC, even though it is an independent municipality.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:30 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,981 times
I'm actually trying to move around there..

Old 06-06-2010, 05:30 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,513 times
I think Jersey City is a great place as long as urban is your thing. I wouldn't mind living there. Jersey gets a bad rap from people who have never been there. Then again, I like New Rochelle.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:07 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
I like the Skyline , and a few other things , but the City doesn't have identity. I tend to love Newark more these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.