Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 7,059 times

Advertisements

Afican american family relocating from va to north ga, I found a beautiful home on ball groind, but after looking at the city data seems there are no african americans in ball ground. Can anyone give me any insight on the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Ball Ground is a very nice area, it is part of Cherokee County. The hard truth is you will experience some 'discrimination'. But that is understandable...Outlying areas of Atlanta, like Cherokee/Ball Ground, Forsyth County, Alpharetta, etc., don't have gangs, crime, people driving low-rider cars blaring rap music, etc. These are issues they have in Atlanta, and the 'burbs' close to Atlanta. These types of behavior are pretty much associated with blacks and mexicans. You can cry racism or whatever, but however you want to B.S. it, chances are this type of culture is much more likely to follow with a black family moving into the neighborhood than a white family.

So understandably, people will probably be apprehensive of you. But, JMO, if you aren't like that, your kids aren't like that, you will end up fitting in. The people are very nice and welcoming. Don't put too much into the race factor...They would be the same way towards white people from New Jersey who move there and are loud and obnoxious. Just blend in and you'll be alright...Move there and create waves...Just like ANYONE else you will be outcast.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,896,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Ball Ground is a very nice area, it is part of Cherokee County. The hard truth is you will experience some 'discrimination'. But that is understandable...Outlying areas of Atlanta, like Cherokee/Ball Ground, Forsyth County, Alpharetta, etc., don't have gangs, crime, people driving low-rider cars blaring rap music, etc. These are issues they have in Atlanta, and the 'burbs' close to Atlanta. These types of behavior are pretty much associated with blacks and mexicans. You can cry racism or whatever, but however you want to B.S. it, chances are this type of culture is much more likely to follow with a black family moving into the neighborhood than a white family.

So understandably, people will probably be apprehensive of you. But, JMO, if you aren't like that, your kids aren't like that, you will end up fitting in. The people are very nice and welcoming. Don't put too much into the race factor...They would be the same way towards white people from New Jersey who move there and are loud and obnoxious. Just blend in and you'll be alright...Move there and create waves...Just like ANYONE else you will be outcast.
very well said.....
nothing else to say.....

Old 06-22-2010, 12:38 AM

200 posts, read 449,154 times
you got it....stright from the horses mouth...lthough they would never tell you how apprehensive they are of you when they are welcoming you to the neighborhood with peach cobbler, ud only get that on the Internet. Welcome to GA!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:47 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,031 times
Default At least they are honest

Well, this is the mentality that you will deal with in North Georgia! The reason why the North Atlanta suburbs (notably Forsyth County) have so few blacks is that a few very violent episodes happened a little less than 100 years ago when ALL blacks were actually forced out of their homes by white mobs and their property seized. No black Georgian in their right mind has returned to the area. Since the late 90s, blacks have been moving into North Georgia in small to moderate numbers but these are all northern transplants and not Georgia natives.

The North Atlanta suburbs have the worst MS-13 and Mexican drug gang problem in the entire United States. Please feel free to Google "atlanta mexican drug cartel" and read the numerous problems plaguing the North Atlanta suburbs. Please note that this gang problem does not plague the majority African American southern suburbs of Atlanta. I would be more than happy to explain why this is. But the quoted poster said it all, the police forces of Forsyth, Cherokee, Hall etc. were designed to harrass and keep out African Americans "not in their place" not actually combat real crime issues.

You should visit the African American suburbs of South Fulton (Sandtown) and North Fayette County. The nuisance will not be blacks and mexicans in low riders listening to rap. As you look between the brand new upscale subdivisions inhabited by black professionals you will see pre-1960s homes with junk and rusted-out pick-up trucks and NASCARs strewn all over the lawn. Not what you want to see on your way home to your McMansion. However, I don't judge. Who thinks that all blacks listen to rap loudly and live in projects or all whites listen to country music and like stock-car racing and live in trailers or something? This is 2010!

But you see what Georgia is about: racial division. Certainly Virginia is no racial utopia; I'm not sure which part you are from. But there is a much greater level of integration and divisions are based moreso on income rather than race. The suburbs of DC and Atlanta are very similar in terms of layout and population size. But in Atlanta you are likely to see many suburbs that are nearly 100% black or white whereas in the outskirts of DC the most you will see is 60% of any one race or ethnicity. Look at those posts; would you want neighbors with this attitude? In the majority white Western Maryland and Northern Virginia suburbs there is still a much higher level of acceptance of blacks and you won't get the outward hostility response of you better conform to our standards or be treated poorly. Unfortunately be prepared for social isolation as it doesn't sound like your neighbors will be inviting you over for a cookout. You know, because you automatically listen to rap and drive a low-rider because that's what blacks and mexicans do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post

Old 06-23-2010, 03:59 AM

18 posts, read 37,928 times
First of all welcome to your new life here in GA. I too have moved my AA family from Virginia(Petersburg). I love it here and would not move back to VA for all the tea in China. I live in Lithonia (Dekalb county) and if I listen to everyone on this site I would be living in some high over-priced neighborhood scared too death to travel into other areas due to crime and such.

I find that the people here are friendly and about their business even the so called poor live good and want the same for you.

Now can't tell you much about your area but if you can deal with living in the commonwealth of VA that will kill you with high taxes, low pay and black folks who are suffering from the crab effect mentality than surly you can survive some white folks who may feel threaten because of the few blacks that are stereotypical. I am quite sure if you respect them they will respect and accept you.
I don't know of your experiences in VA but I got more discrimination from Blacks than I did from whites because I wanted more for my family than the ABC store , gossiping about town folks and horrible out-of-date school system . Not to mention never owning a damn thing because that is how their system works they punish you for working hard.

Also, remember this you don't have to stay put in your area do what I do every weekend.
I drive to different areas here in GA to shop, site see, and find my way around without the lil white lady telling me where to turn( TomTom). GA has so much to offer that you will not have to worry about discrimination.

Last edited by redraven_y2k; 06-23-2010 at 04:08 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 AM

This statement is accurate about Georgia to the extent that the poster lives in Lithonia. DeKalb County is not Cherokee County and certainly not Forsyth County. To put this into perspective for the poster, comparing DeKalb to Cherokee would essentially be like comparing Charles City County or Chesterfield to Colonial Heights. I think the perspectives of this poster concerning blacks should be taken with a grain of salt.

Petersburg, East St. Louis, and Gary, Indiana probably have the worst black communities in the United States. I would think any population living in this environment of deprivation (Petersburg) would not engender a positive characterization. I think this poster has augmented my viewpoint. He or she drives around different places in Georgia to experience the different ways of life. I would give the same advice because while much of metro Atlanta is culturally progressive and urbane North Georgia is not and I don't think much has changed in Middle or South Georgia over the past 50 years. Of course you would not get a response of hostility from a neighbor like the one above in Lithonia (or anywhere in South DeKalb) because it is almost 100% black. But what does that say about communities only a half an hour apart but completely segregated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redraven_y2k View Post
First of all welcome to your new life here in GA. I too have moved my AA family from Virginia(Petersburg). I love it here and would not move back to VA for all the tea in China. I live in Lithonia (Dekalb county) and if I listen to everyone on this site I would be living in some high over-priced neighborhood scared too death to travel into other areas due to crime and such.

I find that the people here are friendly and about their business even the so called poor live good and want the same for you.

Now can't tell you much about your area but if you can deal with living in the commonwealth of VA that will kill you with high taxes, low pay and black folks who are suffering from the crab effect mentality than surly you can survive some white folks who may feel threaten because of the few blacks that are stereotypical. I am quite sure if you respect them they will respect and accept you.
I don't know of your experiences in VA but I got more discrimination from Blacks than I did from whites because I wanted more for my family than the ABC store , gossiping about town folks and horrible out-of-date school system . Not to mention never owning a damn thing because that is how their system works they punish you for working hard.

Also, remember this you don't have to stay put in your area do what I do every weekend.
I drive to different areas here in GA to shop, site see, and find my way around without the lil white lady telling me where to turn( TomTom). GA has so much to offer that you will not have to worry about discrimination.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 6,931 times
Oh Man....

tmbskeen, welcome to Georgia! Where ever you live, you will enjoy it. Don't let folks with attitudes discourage you.

I live in Cherokee, Woodstock. I have plenty of neighbors of various ethnicity. I have yet to see anyone move out due to being harassed or made to feel uncomfortable. There are axxholes everywhere, and as evidenced by a few of the posts above, they aint all in Cherokee or the northern suburbs, lol. Many folks that speak like that have never bothered to come up this way in 20 years. The biggest axxhole in our neighborhood happens to be white and 2 houses down from me. Would you please come buy his house so we can be rid of him? Please?

Ball Ground is a little town with high aspirations, but is a small town. You get small town benefits and detriments. They worry about how the city is trying to decorate the downtown area. It's tame and only a short ride from some of the best motorcycling, street and dualsport, in the country. How bad could that be?

I have lived in Alabama, Georgia, Texas and Arkansas. I have traveled all over the country and out of it. People are the exact same everywhere. There are rednecks in pittsburgh that talk funny and some of the warmest and friendliest people in the world in New York city. You get what you give. If you give attitude, chances are you will get it back. If you are friendly, you will likely get friendly back regardless of anyones color.

It's 2010. Times have changed. North Georgia had a well deserved reputation for bigotry, but not much anymore. If you want to live in Ellijay or Cumming, or anywhere else, they will welcome your money as long as it is green. My head painter is a Native Mexican and American Citizen, and lives in Ellijay. 25 years ago he might have been harassed or worse, but not now. I guess mental and emotional separations are more ideological, financial and political now a days. Physical separations are personal choice and whatever one can afford. Oh, and proximity to work. Traffic can be horrible at times.

This is still America. There are axxholes everywhere. They come in all colors. Fortunately, they are still a small minority.

If you will send me a message or email when you are coming down, I'd like to buy your lunch and visit.

Last edited by DSCR; 06-23-2010 at 11:10 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 10:46 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Well, this is the mentality that you will deal with in North Georgia! The reason why the North Atlanta suburbs (notably Forsyth County) have so few blacks is that a few very violent episodes happened a little less than 100 years ago when ALL blacks were actually forced out of their homes by white mobs and their property seized. No black Georgian in their right mind has returned to the area. Since the late 90s, blacks have been moving into North Georgia in small to moderate numbers but these are all northern transplants and not Georgia natives.

The North Atlanta suburbs have the worst MS-13 and Mexican drug gang problem in the entire United States. Please feel free to Google "atlanta mexican drug cartel" and read the numerous problems plaguing the North Atlanta suburbs. Please note that this gang problem does not plague the majority African American southern suburbs of Atlanta. I would be more than happy to explain why this is. But the quoted poster said it all, the police forces of Forsyth, Cherokee, Hall etc. were designed to harrass and keep out African Americans "not in their place" not actually combat real crime issues.

You should visit the African American suburbs of South Fulton (Sandtown) and North Fayette County. The nuisance will not be blacks and mexicans in low riders listening to rap. As you look between the brand new upscale subdivisions inhabited by black professionals you will see pre-1960s homes with junk and rusted-out pick-up trucks and NASCARs strewn all over the lawn. Not what you want to see on your way home to your McMansion. However, I don't judge. Who thinks that all blacks listen to rap loudly and live in projects or all whites listen to country music and like stock-car racing and live in trailers or something? This is 2010!

But you see what Georgia is about: racial division. Certainly Virginia is no racial utopia; I'm not sure which part you are from. But there is a much greater level of integration and divisions are based moreso on income rather than race. The suburbs of DC and Atlanta are very similar in terms of layout and population size. But in Atlanta you are likely to see many suburbs that are nearly 100% black or white whereas in the outskirts of DC the most you will see is 60% of any one race or ethnicity. Look at those posts; would you want neighbors with this attitude? In the majority white Western Maryland and Northern Virginia suburbs there is still a much higher level of acceptance of blacks and you won't get the outward hostility response of you better conform to our standards or be treated poorly. Unfortunately be prepared for social isolation as it doesn't sound like your neighbors will be inviting you over for a cookout. You know, because you automatically listen to rap and drive a low-rider because that's what blacks and mexicans do.

Ok well since you want to play that game...If you are WHITE and blare rap music, you will be just as much of a sore as anyone of any other race that does the same. If your some redneck blasting country music in your souped up truck yes you will be an annoyance, but chances are you won't 'scare anyone'. Last I heard country music isn't full of lyrics talking about shooting people, ho's, guns, drugs, etc.

Yes mexican gangs are pretty bad but that is Gwinnett County, the poster wasn't asking about Gwinnett, and I think you pretty much made my point. Prior to the hispanic (mostly illegals) invasion into Gwinnett, they did not experience the gang and crime issues that they now do.

The majority black suburbs are so wonderful? Have you heard about Clayton County lately?

It's different everywhere you go. Having lived up north, there were areas that were 100% white and full of trash and scary people. In fact, there are many 'mostly black' areas of Atlanta I would live before I would ever live in those areas. Meth is a big problem in the poor white community, I would expect the same black people in these areas that you speak of, to be biased if a white family that fits the stereotype of 'white trash' to be just as apprehensive that they were going to bring problems with them. If you are white, living off of welfare, are 30yrs old and look like your 50 and have 4 kids from different dads, 1/2 of whom are in prison, chances are you're a problem. But of course that's acceptable 'discrimination'...

If a new 'white family' moved into my neighborhood chances are there won't be problems, but if there are and their kid is some 'gangsta wannabe homie' then that family will be just as hated not because of their race but because they are trash. Just the fact is the chance of that being the case is more likely with a black or hispanic family. Cry that it's 'racist' all you want but that's the truth.

Like others have said, the biggest pain in our neighborhood is this stupid white kid who is some rich spoiled brat and drives his little hot rod through the neighborhood super fast blaring rap music. Everybody can't wait for these sheetbags to go away. We don't sit around and say...'well they're white it's ok, but now if there skin color was different it we would be outraged'. At the same time though, he is just an annoyance...Gangs, crime, etc. have not followed, just some stupid kid with even more stupid parents.

Last edited by GAisGreat; 06-24-2010 at 11:03 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 02:41 PM

"If a new 'white family' moved into my neighborhood chances are there won't be problems, but if there are and their kid is some 'gangsta wannabe homie' then that family will be just as hated not because of their race but because they are trash. Just the fact is the chance of that being the case is more likely with a black or hispanic family. Cry that it's 'racist' all you want but that's the truth."

Wow, seems like you are ready to hate and label people you don't know that have just moved in. I would certainly hope your entire community does not have this perspective! Sorry I can't empathize but my neighborhood is far too diverse just to ask anyone to blend in. Blend into what exactly? Are you a social scientist? Where have you calculated the probabilities that a black or hispanic family is most likely to cause problems?

You are correct, Clayton County is bad. That is why I left. But that is just one of many of your points I missed. In terms of the "gangsta rap" lyrics I have some for you:

"Accused and tried I was told to hang,
I was nowhere in sight when the church bells rang,
Lived nine lives, but I gunned down ten,
Then ride like the wind."

The artist? Christopher Cross, 1979. He won five Grammys for that album in 1980. He was performing songs about gunning down ten people and fleeing the authorities into Mexico nearly a decade before Gangsta Rappers were performing songs about "F" the Police. Maybe these Gangsta Rappers draw their influences from a good 'ol Country & Western boy like Christopher Cross? Or how about the Pet Shop Boys?

"Sometimes you're better off dead,
There's a gun in your house and it's pointed at your head,
Cuz you think your mad and too unstable,
Kicking in chairs and knocking down tables,
In a restaurant in a west end town,
Call the police there's a mad man around,
Running down, under ground,
To a dive bar in a west end town."

And how about these lyrics and the sexual mistreament of women:

"She saw the look in his eyes
N' she knew better
He wanted her tonight
And it was now or never
He made her feel so sad
Oh, whoa, whoa, Jamie's cryin'"

Courtesy of Van Halen in 1978! Also a decade before gangsta rap! Please feel free to cut and paste these lyrics anytime you or someone else makes the preposterous argument that only rap has "unsavory" lyrics and contributes to the social decay of an entire group of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia