Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,372 times

Advertisements

It is time to leave the Pacific Northwest and head for the deep south. I am on the hunt for a small town in southern Georgia. I would prefer to be within two hours of the coast, and prefer a town with less than 4.000 inhabitants (the smaller the better). I work from home, so I do need to have internet access easily and readily available. Any information would be much appreciated. I do enjoy the Savannah area, however, I don't want to be in such a densely populated area, but would like to be within 2 hours of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 06:48 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
Blackshear
Metter
Reidsville
Darien

Old 07-04-2010, 08:06 PM

744 posts, read 2,482,638 times
add Alma to the list.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
St Marys/Kingsland
Vidalia
Jesup
Waynesboro

Old 07-11-2010, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,875 times
Check out Tybee Island, its right outside of Savannah and you have the beach right there with nice bars, but with a small town feel.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Tybee Island might be what the doctor ordered, however, if you don't want to spend so much for living, I would suggest Brooklet, Metter, Pembroke, Claxton, Ludowici, or Darien.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:17 PM

7 posts, read 47,994 times
I do not recommend Blackshear or Alma like previous posters said. We live in Waycross(10 mins or so from those two cities) and they are DUMPS. Waycross is as well.

We used to live in St. Mary's and Kingsland, and of the two, St. Mary's is the better one. It's beautiful, and close to Brunswick, Savannah, and Jacksonville. Only about a 20 minute drive down to the Florida Beaches.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:54 AM

33 posts, read 137,937 times
I do NOT recommend Alma GA. I've worked there (in the medical field) and have more problems in that tiny town with drunks, drugs, and narcotics abuse (oxycontin, methadone, hydrocodone) than any other city I've worked in Georgia.

Jesup is a small town about an hour from Savannah. There's not much "culture" but they do have a decent hospital and a military base there. It's too dull for me, but to each his own. Wal-Mart seems to be the biggest attraction.

Waycross is not awful, but it's sure not exciting. It's kind of the mirror of Douglas, GA, where I live now. Lots of our economy was based on manufacturing and agriculture (mobile home manufacturers, chicken processing, etc.), and many of those companies have died or fled. College graduates need not look to South Georgia for great jobs, except for maybe something in the medical field... and even that is no guarantee these days. Wage levels are awful as well. Expect to get minimum wage for jobs that pay much more in middle/north Georgia (Macon/Atlanta). Even nurses make less than they deserve here. However, Waycross or Douglas may fit the bill if you want a much slower pace of life, and less traffic. I just hope you are good at entertaining yourself. Thank god for the Internet and books!

St. Mary's is a nice little coastal town. If you go there, do take the Ferry ride to Cumberland Island. Brunswick may be too big for you, but it is a town to consider. If you would consider northeast Florida, Fernandina Beach (Amelia Island) is a place you should check out as well.

If you want a tiny, "traditional" (i.e., redneck) town, try Fitzgerald, GA. It's not for me (I tried it and couldn't even stand it 2 months), but some residents there seem to love it. Their hospital is merging with a larger one (Phoebe Putney of Albany), which seems to be a good move... and will likely result in nice raises for their nursing staff. Fitzgerald is famous for their wild native chickens. I kid you not. WalMart is the main attraction. The "big" movie theater and bowling alley closed years ago. There is a downtown art deco theatre that shows 1 movie at a time, I think.
Grand Theatre

My personal definition of "civilization" includes ALL of these:
* Major book store chain
* Lowes and/or Home Depot
* More than 1 movie theater
* Bowling alley
* At least 1 coffee shop
* Best Buy or similar electronics store.
* Nice watering holes (i.e., bars)
* Preferably, a mall or two.
* Something for the teens to do!

That leaves out Douglas, Waycross, and Jesup... but includes Valdosta and Brunswick.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:20 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
St Marys/Kingsland
Vidalia
Jesup
Waynesboro
All are too big (>4k)

Try:
Brooklet
Guyton
Pembroke
Springfield

Old 12-30-2010, 07:27 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Metter is nice, and it's within an hour's drive to the beaches. Lots of restaurants but not much shopping. Big horse area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia