Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 PM

6 posts, read 13,129 times

Advertisements

I've been searching for days for the perfect place to live in Georgia but nothing's meeting our needs.

Tell me if I'm being unreasonable, but we my husband and I have an 8 month old and we're looking for a town that is-

-near medical centers for work
-very low in crime
-preferably a small-ish population
-below 700 to rent. 500 would be more comfortable, if that's possible
-forward thinking. We're a liberal family and don't want to be stuck somewhere too conservative where we'll stick out
-VERY LIGHT on traffic and street confusion. I can't find my way out of a paper bag. Please realise that's a huge concern here

House or apartment is fine. Schools aren't extremely important since our daughter is so young. Location isn't the biggest concern as long as it's very safe, near stores (near a Whole Foods or famers' market a huge plus!), and around lots of medical centers.

Thanks in advance. I'm dying here. [:

Old 03-19-2011, 08:43 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnttd View Post
I've been searching for days for the perfect place to live in Georgia but nothing's meeting our needs.

Tell me if I'm being unreasonable, but we my husband and I have an 8 month old and we're looking for a town that is-

-very low in crime
-forward thinking. We're a liberal family and don't want to be stuck somewhere too conservative where we'll stick out
-VERY LIGHT on traffic and street confusion. I can't find my way out of a paper bag. Please realise that's a huge concern here

House or apartment is fine. Schools aren't extremely important since our daughter is so young. Location isn't the biggest concern as long as it's very safe, near stores (near a Whole Foods or famers' market a huge plus!), and around lots of medical centers.

Thanks in advance. I'm dying here. [:
Which towns/areas have you considered?

Possibly there is such a community around Athens. Loganville and Lawrenceville --both of these towns would have more traffic than you might prefer.
In general smaller towns in GA would be more conservative than suburban areas around larger cities.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 AM

876 posts, read 2,279,224 times
I think you should visit Georgia first after narrowing down some geographical possibilities. Given that you like Whole Foods (all GA stores are in metro Atlanta), you might like some exurban areas (1+ hr from Atlanta) like Dawson County (that is in North GA). You could look to West GA as well if you are concerned about cost. Athens area is another possibility (East of Atlanta in the exurbs).

Middle and South GA are very different from the big area of metro Atlanta. Your idea of rent range ($500-600) is definitely not ideal for most of metro Atlanta, it would be far out exurbs. For rural GA, it is a fair range.

I think Macon may have decent medical facilities, but by and large, metro Atlanta is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of GA. This is a big deal of course, for people with special needs medical issues.

Good luck.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:35 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnttd View Post
-very low in crime

Don't mean to be a killjoy, but want you want is in Vermont, not GA. In general, it will be tough to find all of what you want in GA, at least in the same place.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:41 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Don't mean to be a killjoy, but want you want is in Vermont, not GA. In general, it will be tough to find all of what you want in GA, at least in the same place.
Maybe one of the smaller towns near Rochester, MN (home of the Mayo Clinic).

Old 03-21-2011, 05:08 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,574,286 times
What does "liberal family" mean?

Athens does not meet your "needs" concerning schools and crime. Winterville very nearby might but same issue with schools. However, that community might be a bit too conservative for you. Those who mention Vermont are likely closer to it.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,445,643 times
Whole Foods, some liberal values and low crime translate into expensive areas of Atlanta.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Whole Foods, some liberal values and low crime translate into expensive areas of Atlanta.
I figured. That's why I was skeptical...

Old 03-24-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Maybe one of the smaller towns near Rochester, MN (home of the Mayo Clinic).
I don't see why that would be a killjoy. I like Vermont, and we like Minnesota.
Thanks for the advice. We can up our budget if needed, that was just wishful thinking.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
What does "liberal family" mean?

Athens does not meet your "needs" concerning schools and crime. Winterville very nearby might but same issue with schools. However, that community might be a bit too conservative for you. Those who mention Vermont are likely closer to it.
Well, by "liberal", I mean we cloth diaper, eat organically, don't subscribe to religion, don't vaccinate, don't wear shoes unless required by the establishment, and a whole host of other things that some areas consider too cruncy for them...
I was trying to be discreet... But there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia