Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 07:26 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
From what I read, its not just a secondary offence. Certain crimes need to be committed. I dont know if I missed it, but does anyone have a link for the actual law?

Im curious to see how its written. Unless you have an arrest-able charge, misdemeanor or felony, they should not be checking status. If its written whereas an infraction can warrant the check, then that needs to be changed.
I believe this is the law as finally amended:

hb87_HB_87_APP_22.html

The sticking point is the definition of "criminal violation". In section 8, article 5:

" 'Criminal violation' means a violation of state or federal criminal law but shall not include a violation of a county or municipal law, regulation, or ordinance. "

then...

during any investigation of a criminal suspect by a peace officer, when such officer has probable cause to believe that a suspect has committed a criminal violation, the officer shall be authorized to seek to verify such suspect's immigration status when the suspect is unable to provide one of the following

My understanding is that speeding and other traffic violations are considered criminal violations by state code. So yes, I think they can check someone's status for driving 3 mph over the speed limit. Then again, I'm no lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Thank you.

To specifically address the absurd suggestion that the Social Security Earnings Suspense File is an invention of the New York Times, or whatever craziness was being said, see below:

http://www.ssa.gov/oig/ADOBEPDF/A-03-03-23038.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
SSA noted that many suspended items involve the agricultural industry, which has transient employees who may not have work authorizations from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

Old 05-17-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
**** YOU....how's that?
Pretty poor.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 PM

951 posts, read 745,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizi Girl View Post
I am a Georgia native and feel that the state really needed this law. If only all the other states would follow suit. That way if one state beings actually enforcing our countries immigration laws and they feel the need to hop from state to state, the neighboring states would have a law also and they have no choice but to go back to where they came from. As we all know, Georgia has a large concentration of illegal immigrants(7th largest illegal population) and I don't see how any true American would allow their homes and country to be invaded by illegals. They lower the quality of life in once beautiful communities and have no respect for the laws of this country.

Some people are arguing that Hispanics will be racially profiled, but if you are here legally then you should not have to worried about being "profiled".

My family has been calling Georgia home for many generations and I would hate to see this state turn into another California.
Well the facts disagree with most of what you've said.

So you'd be fine with Mexican-American citizens sitting a weekend in jail because they got profiled and don't have their birth certificate with them? Do you carry your birth certificate? Would it be ok if you got confused for a Canadian and had to sit in jail because you didn't have proof of your citizenship?

Old 05-17-2011, 03:26 PM

951 posts, read 745,471 times
So Mexican American citizens should have to carry around their birth cirtificate if they want to go out in public? They don't need a green card, they are citizens. A drivers license isn't proof of citizenship.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
So Mexican American citizens should have to carry around their birth cirtificate if they want to go out in public? They don't need a green card, they are citizens. A drivers license isn't proof of citizenship.
Actually, the new Georgia law does allow for a drivers license to be proof of citizenship AS LONG AS it is issued from a state that checks immigration status when issuing licenses.

This does not include Washington and New Mexico. Which happens to be a violation of the full faith and credit doctrine of the US Constitution, Article IV, Section 1.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:06 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Um, you should carry a state issued ID, green card (if applicable) or have a valid driver's license when you go out. For example I always keep my driver license with me in my purse.

Excuses, Excuses... Nice try, but it is not working.
Oh, surely if you go out to exercise (jog, bike, and the like) you don't always carry your license. I'm sure I don't have my license on me 50% of the time I'm not at work.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:22 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
neil/rc...you are arguing with the same person here with several aliases, and who is an employer that uses Mexicans for cheap labor. Of course they don't want the law. They are getting rich off the illegals.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:09 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
Quote:
I am a Georgia native and feel that the state really needed this law. If only all the other states would follow suit. That way if one state beings actually enforcing our countries immigration laws and they feel the need to hop from state to state, the neighboring states would have a law also and they have no choice but to go back to where they came from. As we all know, Georgia has a large concentration of illegal immigrants(7th largest illegal population) and I don't see how any true American would allow their homes and country to be invaded by illegals. They lower the quality of life in once beautiful communities and have no respect for the laws of this country.

Some people are arguing that Hispanics will be racially profiled, but if you are here legally then you should not have to worried about being "profiled".

My family has been calling Georgia home for many generations and I would hate to see this state turn into another California.
Wow, way to generalize. And it sounds like you just don't like Hispanic people...

Posts like this one make me embarrassed to live in this state surrounded by people like this.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:57 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
If any of them want to go back home, they need a passport or passport card anyway, and the latter is perfect for this sort of thing.

If I were living abroad, I know that I'd be carrying my passport card (at least) everywhere. Why ask for trouble?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia