Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2011, 10:59 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for local opinions on full time living around Lake Lanier. I'm not concerned about employment locations, nor price tag. What I am concerned about is isolation or lack of culture on a daily basis. No problems going into Atlanta for the bigger stuff, but say the idea hits me at 5pm that I want upcale dining that night.... I know I won't have the ease of what I have in my urban life right now, but I don't want to find myself having to drive 20 miles in every which direction to get errands done.

I notice that there is currently only one Golf Community(Chestatee) on the Lake. That idea appeals to me, to have both lake and golf. I'm not worried about schools or splash pads, and would actually prefer a more upscale community vs. family cul-de-sacs.However, we are in our late 30's and early 40's, so I don't want a retirement community.

I've seen some lovely homes in the area, and need to be within 90 minutes of a major airport. North Ga and Western NC have always been my favorite places in the US, and have been casually searching for about 2 years now . This would not be a primary residence for several years, but possibly within 7 years I would make the move full time.

Any suggestions, thoughts,experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 12:48 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
From LL you are (off rush hour) about 1hr from ATL Airport, General errands there are supermarkets, strip malls etc, Depending where on the lake you are, you are with in 15min of all the big box stores. A 'quick' run down to atlanta for dinner might be a bit much, but there are lots of mid-level (Both chain *& Non/Chain) with in 20-30min. There some high end places to eat but not alot.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:27 PM

Thank you. There are some places on the lake in Dawsonville that look to be 3 miles from Hwy 400. Any thoughts on the area?

Old 05-07-2011, 04:41 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
It a nice semi rural area, There is the outlet mall near there, (also all the big box stores). You will be about 75 mins (non/rush) from the airport (driving time not counting parking time etc). Restruants get less and less the more you go north of exit 14 on 400.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:45 PM

Great info on the Exit 14 situation. Should I focus more on that Cumming area? Or is that very much suburban/commuter town?

Honestly, I considered an Alpharetta Golf Community for about a millisecond. What they consider upscale has to be 7,000 sf with the same product as a tract home...so I moved onward in ideas. Expensive equals BIG, not better in that area, which I assume is "the burbs." I do well in cities and the country, not "the burbs."

My ideal area is Lake Glenville in NC. Trillium is upscale, mountains, lake and private golf. The problem is that is the whole area closes for the winter and it's 2 1/2 hours to the Atlanta airport. I'm trying to find a happy medium near Atlanta and rent in July up there.

Have you heard any feedback on Chestatee? I'm not really that thrilled with the architecture on their site.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,010 times
If you want some homes without the suburban tract feel, take a look the older homes on Pilgrim Mill Rd over by Tidwell Park in Cumming. They're mostly on the lake and aren't cookie cutters. Gainesville is also a decent location. That's where the Chestatee subdivision you mention is. You'll find some nice homes along GA53 and GA60 around the lake in Gainesville but architecturally, they'll be very similar to Alpharetta homes.

Upscale dining isn't very prevalent around Lanier. Some places exist but they're few and far between. It's the suburbs but they're southern suburbs. They're a little different than their northern counterparts. I'd suggest getting a room somewhere in the middle of your search area like the Lake Lanier Islands resort and see the area for yourself. You'll figure out very quickly if that's the area for you.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Have you taken a look at Big Canoe??

Old 05-10-2011, 02:43 PM

Actually I have. I'm just concerned that it's a longer/slower route to the NC mountains from there. Great drive to the airport though. Also, does it tend to be older in population?

But I'd love to know more about it from Ga residents vs. a real estate agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia