Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 04:24 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessMan30331 View Post
Just going by employment numbers released by the state there are over 9,000,000 residents at 10% unemployment that would be 8,900,000 people employed. Going by that number the fund would generate somewhere in the range of 53 million to 89 million per week or 2.75 billion to 4.6 billion per year. (changed pop # in quote to correct amount)

You were using the state population for your totals; only around half of the state population is employed, so realistically 4.6-4.7M people working.

At the current levels we are taxed (not just income, but sales tax and other fees we pay), $10 a week is too much for those making minimum wage or not far from it. Even your $6/wk would be more than people living paycheck-to-paycheck can afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessMan30331 View Post
yes I am aware of this and maybe that's the reason South Georgia voted against it. If the bill had passed were they going to build or upgrade any South Georgia hospitals because of its passing and if so wouldn't such an upgrade in equipment, facilities, and or staff created a bigger drain on the current hospitals in S. Georgia and the state.
our hospitals down south did not want this to pass. i was told by hospital mgmt that it would degrade the quality of care because of the associated costs with keeping doctors in the trauma center 24/hrs a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport
Just another reason why I believe that so called "southern hospitality" is a myth. Along with all the rude drivers that refuse to move over to the right lane when they're poking around in the left lane holding up 10 cars behind them. Then there are the people that will act nice to your face and then talk smack behind your back. Yep, sounds like the south to me. I digress.
Why you decide to stay so miserable is beyond me. Nothing here will make you happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansley Park
The dopey citizens of this state wouldn't pay $10 per car to build more trauma centers. They certainly wouldn't pay $6 - $10 per week for more roads.
We pay the gov't enough already. Instead of taxing us more, they should find a way to get $10 out of the car tax we pay already if they want to fund trauma centers. We shouldn't be so willing to keep handing them our money and letting them waste it as they please. The "no" vote was simply taxpayers voicing their opinion that our elected officials need to get the spending under control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 02:09 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
Why you decide to stay so miserable is beyond me. Nothing here will make you happy.
I believe you are confusing me with someone else. I'm not one of those negative posters on here usually. Other than what I said, I'm pretty happy where I'm at. We all have our moments, you know.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:18 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Sounds like more tax and more spending. I'm in the less tax and less spending camp.
So basically you are against less economic growth??

Old 09-03-2011, 02:18 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
So basically you are against less economic growth??
If it means I pay more tax, then yes I am against it. I will always vote for no new taxes.
The government doesn't have a revenue problem, it has a spending problem.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:35 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
If it means I pay more tax, then yes I am against it. I will always vote for no new taxes.
The government doesn't have a revenue problem, it has a spending problem.
..and it is precisely this mindset that keeps "the south" behind the rest of the nation.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
..and it is precisely this mindset that keeps "the south" behind the rest of the nation.
Yes, but I would go even further and say it's actually the mindset that will keep our nation behind the rest of the world. We are never going to get out of this recession anytime soon by lowering taxes and cutting spending... that doesn't work.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Uh....no it doesn't. One only needs to look at the high tax blue states & note the number of residents and businesses fleeing South. Higher taxes has yet to create a single job, outside of the gov't. If you & Mike can't understand this, you two Kensyians need a refresher course in Econ101.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Uh....no it doesn't. One only needs to look at the high tax blue states & note the number of residents and businesses fleeing South. Higher taxes has yet to create a single job, outside of the gov't. If you & Mike can't understand this, you two Kensyians need a refresher course in Econ101.
Please explain why these higher tax blue states/metro areas currently have lower unemployment rates right now... NYC, Boston, DC, etc are all adding jobs in the thousands while places like Atlanta and Georgia continue to lose jobs and our unemployment rate continues to go up or hold above the national average. As I recall, Georgia was 50th in job creation in July (that's second to last behind Indiana). All we are trying to say is low taxes doesn't automatically equal job growth...

I mean, you don't see businesses and residents "fleeing" to Mississippi, Louisana, Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee or South Carolina. In the South only Georgia (because of Atlanta metro), North Carolina (Charlotte and Raleigh), and Florida (retirement haven) have been the more popular destinations. For example, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Miami have much higher taxes compared to other places in the South, yet people and businesses tend to all flock to these locations instead of the hundreds of other cities in the South. Why? Because these areas have invested in better public education and better infrastructure... and usually that means "higher taxes".

Cutting taxes and cutting spending will not get us out of this recession. If that is your solution YOU need a refresher in Econ101. Maybe if you did take a refresher course, you would learn that Keynesian economics served as the economic model that got us out of the Great Depression and influenced the post-war economic expansion. Now this theory might not be the only solution (just like cutting taxes and cutting spending isn't), but it's worth looking into.

Last edited by mike7586; 09-04-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 08:33 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Yes, but I would go even further and say it's actually the mindset that will keep our nation behind the rest of the world. We are never going to get out of this recession anytime soon by lowering taxes and cutting spending... that doesn't work.
Really?? So spending more will get us out? We have spent more in the last 3 years than every president before Obama. All it has done is put us deeper in debt and put us back into recession.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Really?? So spending more will get us out? We have spent more in the last 3 years than every president before Obama. All it has done is put us deeper in debt and put us back into recession.
I know it's difficult for a lot of Americans to understand, especially in this hostile anti-spending environment that's been created. Our debt is a long term issue and we can borrow money right now at almost no interest. In bad times, spend and in good times, cut.

Unfortunately, the stimulus wasn't nearly enough and there haven't been any new major spending plans pushed through due to the tea party movement which is why our economy isn't getting any better.

I already know my views on this subject are in the minority, especially in the South. If 2012 goes your way, we will have a Republican administration and I guess we will find out if cutting spending and cutting taxes really works though I'm not holding my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia