Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 01:36 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times

Advertisements

You must get a Georgia Drivers license BEFORE you can tag your car here. To get the license you need birth certificate/passport, proof of SS #, and 2 proofs of residency. The DDS is very particular about what is accepted. See this page for acceptable documents.
Secure ID: Checklist of all Accepted Documents - Department of Driver Services

It seems as if the proofs of residency will be the toughest but in reality they are easy. You could change the address of your bank statements early if you still get paper, forward your mail--that yellow post office forwarding label works as proof, and print out a lease from online and fill it out showing where your inlaws are leasing a room to you. (I did that when my mother moved here and it worked fine...I just put in $500/month as the amount-they just made a copy and moved on-), if you have any magazine subscriptions...call them now and change the address so you will have one delivered directly to your GA address by July. Again see the list at the above website.

If your or your spouse's name has ever changed...you must provide legal documents showing every change such as marriage licenses or court orders.

It stinks, but you have to have the license first. When my mother moved here from Virginia last summer, the tag office would not do anything until she had a Georgia license and to get it we needed a marriage certificate from 1973 to prove the name change. It can be a pain for women. Once you have the license, the tag office is simple...they just want your money!

Also, be aware of the TAVT you will have to pay when you register your car. It can be brutal if you have a newer vehicle. Calculate that here:http://onlinemvd.dor.ga.gov/TAP/Option1.aspx#message

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 06-25-2015 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 08:37 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,758 times
I used my passport instead of the birth certificate last month on my renewal and they accepted it.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,245 times
Transplants have to pay this ridiculous and BS tax even if you bought your car while you were living in a different state and already paid all the taxes and fees there. I'm a transplant myself and they're trying to charge me over $2000. The TAVT is 7% in 2015 of the car's fair market value, close to the value of a "good" condition version of your car on kbb.com. Use this calculator for the tax: [url]https://onlinemvd.dor.ga.gov/tap/welcome.aspx[/url]

There's a 10% TAVT penalty fee if you don't register your car within 30 days of moving to GA. For every additional 30 days that you don't pay the tax, there's an additional 1% penalty fee.

This is what they mean when they say death by taxes, MURICA, Amen!

Run, don't come to Georgia, it sucks and that's not just because of the TAVT tax.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:06 AM

25 posts, read 33,213 times
Default vehicle registration/tax yearly cost?

How much would it be to renew the registration every year for a $160,000 car in GA? Does it very by county? In Florida it was a flat fee. It didn't matter how much money the vehicle cost.

Is there a personal property tax on the car I would need to pay each year as well?

Old 03-16-2021, 10:19 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbortime View Post
How much would it be to renew the registration every year for a $160,000 car in GA? Does it very by county? In Florida it was a flat fee. It didn't matter how much money the vehicle cost.

Is there a personal property tax on the car I would need to pay each year as well?

Upon registering the car here you will pay a TAVT rate which is 6.6% (if you are a new resident you pay 3%) of the fair market value of the vehicle. After that you will pay $20 a year to renew.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:32 AM

25 posts, read 33,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Upon registering the car here you will pay a TAVT rate which is 6.6% (if you are a new resident you pay 3%) of the fair market value of the vehicle. After that you will pay $20 a year to renew.

Thanks for the reply. So there is no Vehicle Property Tax yearly like there was in the past in GA?

Old 03-16-2021, 10:38 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Is this based on the sales invoice of the car? I bought a used car from an out of state dealership and they tried to tell me the book value which was way off overuses what I actually paid.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:21 AM

654 posts, read 527,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbortime View Post
Thanks for the reply. So there is no Vehicle Property Tax yearly like there was in the past in GA?

It changed in 2013 or thereabouts.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:26 AM

654 posts, read 527,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Is this based on the sales invoice of the car? I bought a used car from an out of state dealership and they tried to tell me the book value which was way off overuses what I actually paid.
https://dor.georgia.gov/title-ad-valorem-tax-tavt-faq

Used car value is listed in faq. It's not based on the sales price of your car specifically.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:33 PM

7 posts, read 9,534 times
Default Out of State Car Registration - NJ to GA

Hello all - I moved to Atlanta, GA in April 2019 from NJ. I had purchased a car in NJ in March 2019 and had the car registered there. After a month for some personal reasons, I had to move to GA. I tried to register the car in GA within 30 days of moving but they asked me to pay the TAVT tax which was a huge amount, therefore, I decided to postpone the registration till my NJ registration expired. Now, the NJ registration is set to expire in April 2021. I realize GA mandates you to transfer registration within 30 days of moving, but paying the tax twice made no sense to me at the time.

I tried to look up how much I would be paying now if I registered the car to GA and it shows some penalty of $3000. Could anyone explain if there's any way around this penalty if I need to register the car in GA?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: