Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:54 AM

567 posts, read 891,073 times

Advertisements

Macon has a subforum and it is actually ranked below Athens in overall city size.

Plus there are a ton of questions posted about moving the the Athens area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 04:09 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,246,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Macon has a subforum and it is actually ranked below Athens in overall city size.

Plus there are a ton of questions posted about moving the the Athens area

the macon and columbus forums are fairly new.

and not many questions on athens come up here compared to the cities that do have their own sub-forum. most people just put them in the atlanta forum i believe.

are you sure athens is larger? their pop. is consolidated city-county, which is still less than bibb county.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 AM

23,489 posts, read 44,152,013 times
Its a question that been asked before on here...and is a valid one. For instance, Prescott, AZ has its own forum and is about half the size of Athens.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:09 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,875,252 times
More than 2 responses in 2 days (mine makes the third) would help build a case. Sadly, maybe this is why.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:35 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,024,205 times
I don't see alot of Athens topics, in the Atlanta or Georgia Forums. I think many/many threads would be needed 1st before it get its owm...

Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 AM

23,489 posts, read 44,152,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I don't see alot of Athens topics, in the Atlanta or Georgia Forums. I think many/many threads would be needed 1st before it get its owm...
I actually see more interest in Athens in the General US and City vs City forums.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 AM

663 posts, read 1,726,084 times
You posted this two days ago. In that time, there have been no other posts about Athens in the Georgia forum. I love Athens but I don't think there's enough interest to warrant its own forum.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:10 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,261,286 times
Plus you can't just look at city size, you must look at metropolitan area size. Macon-Warner Robins has nearly 400,000 people metro-wise and Athens is just shy of 200,000 so basically Macon-Warner Robins is twice the size of Athens and Macon's forum is the least used in the state. I doubt Athens would get more traffic. Athens is a great town, but it is fairly small. Of course, if a sub-forum were made at least the posts would all be in one place. If I had to make a new forum in the state, Athens would be next up.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 PM

567 posts, read 891,073 times
I posted initially, because I frequent the Atlanta forum and I find that Athens questions appear fairly frequently. Also I believe that in regards to the forum, it would be the "build it and they will come" effect. Once one existed, I'm positive we'd see an uptick in Athens related topics. Granted, Macon is bigger, but then again its Macon. On a national scale, I feel that Athens has more notoriety due to its presence in both college football and the music scene. I'm curious to see what would occur if there was a pilot test to see how much traffic that forum would generate.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:20 PM

74 posts, read 289,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
I posted initially, because I frequent the Atlanta forum and I find that Athens questions appear fairly frequently. Also I believe that in regards to the forum, it would be the "build it and they will come" effect. Once one existed, I'm positive we'd see an uptick in Athens related topics. Granted, Macon is bigger, but then again its Macon. On a national scale, I feel that Athens has more notoriety due to its presence in both college football and the music scene. I'm curious to see what would occur if there was a pilot test to see how much traffic that forum would generate.
I agree with your "build it and they will come theory." Athens is the city in which our major university is located, but yet there is no separate forum. I do find that extremely odd. There are so many people who are moving in and out of the city every year - both students and professors - that there must be questions that they and their parents would like answered, but they probably do not post because there is no Athens forum.

I just wrote a reply with statistics about Athens-Clarke County (balanced) and Oconee County that I compiled from both the 2006-2010 census and from the Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010; 2010 Demographic Profile Data. (I erroneously posted it in a thread about moving to Milledgeville that happened to have a post about Athens, due to the fact that I'd opened the thread last night along with other and did not reply until today.) It would (at least parts of it) make a great sticky for an Athens forum, but there isn't one. So, people continue to ask about the demographics of the area. It would help if they had those basic facts first before getting into more nuanced issues of their lifestyle and needs when they are considering a move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia