Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 02:57 PM

15 posts, read 42,320 times

Advertisements

Hi! My wife and I are looking to leave the state of Florida for a change of a better life and raise our kids. I am sure a related thread is out there concerning this, but I wanted to open my own thread to get a personalized advice and suggestions directed to me.

So, my wife has never left Florida. We are from Ft. Lauderdale. We are tired of the low paying, high living cost life we have here. Warm weather year round is getting old. The only winter is probably 1 or 2 days out of the year at only 45-50 degrees at night time when everyone is asleep. Then, when the sun comes up it warms up again.

My wife works from home doing operator/customer service, so she is set transferring with ease. I would have to look around for work. I have no leads. But I prefer to know what city I need to look into first before searching for work. I have experience in the medical field. I have been in patient access registration department, insurance dept and also supervised the ER registration dept. Have 7 years in healthcare exp. So, I am interested to work in the hospital when I move and I know it will be a challenge to get hired but I will try until I get called. We do not have a set date to move. We want to start planning now and within a year from now make the move. we have a 6 year old and 2 year old. Both boys. The oldest is in kindergarten. So we need a top rated school system. I am 30 and my wife is 29.

What I am looking for: 3 bedrooms townhouse. I would consider an apt but really want a porch and fireplace.
I would like to pay max 900 for rent, maybe 950 tops. Away from the "ghetto". Thats it. Is this possible? We would like to live where it snows on occasion.

What part of Georgia should I start looking? I never even visited and will make a trip next month but need to know where to go.

Also, I have made research on the diversity percentage in GA. I am not a racist, but it seems that the majority of percentage are African American? I was looking in Savannah, GA and they say that 80%+ is african american. I am a white hispanic and my wife is the same, although her mom is half black/hispanic and her dad is white/hispanic. I like to be equal and would prefer a place that has as many african americans as there are white/hispanics. Where should I look?

I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL where more than 80% of the population is African American but this is ghetto and theres a lot of violence. I just want decent people in my neighborhood and community, I dont care for their color of the skin, I care more if they are educated, quiet, respectful and will not mess with anyone or cause trouble. We do not have anyone in GA so moving here will be a new experience and I want to make sure that the decision we make will not come back to haunt us in the future and make us regret it.

Thank you for your help and assistance!

Last edited by orlavin; 02-24-2014 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 12:17 AM

10,400 posts, read 11,574,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlavin View Post
Hi! My wife and I are looking to leave the state of Florida for a change of a better life and raise our kids. I am sure a related thread is out there concerning this, but I wanted to open my own thread to get a personalized advice and suggestions directed to me.

So, my wife has never left Florida. We are from Ft. Lauderdale. We are tired of the low paying, high living cost life we have here. Warm weather year round is getting old. The only winter is probably 1 or 2 days out of the year at only 45-50 degrees at night time when everyone is asleep. Then, when the sun comes up it warms up again.

My wife works from home doing operator/customer service, so she is set transferring with ease. I would have to look around for work. I have no leads. But I prefer to know what city I need to look into first before searching for work. I have experience in the medical field. I have been in patient access registration department, insurance dept and also supervised the ER registration dept. Have 7 years in healthcare exp. So, I am interested to work in the hospital when I move and I know it will be a challenge to get hired but I will try until I get called. We do not have a set date to move. We want to start planning now and within a year from now make the move. we have a 6 year old and 2 year old. Both boys. The oldest is in kindergarten. So we need a top rated school system. I am 30 and my wife is 29.

What I am looking for: 3 bedrooms townhouse. I would consider an apt but really want a porch and fireplace.
I would like to pay max 900 for rent, maybe 950 tops. Away from the "ghetto". Thats it. Is this possible? We would like to live where it snows on occasion.

What part of Georgia should I start looking? I never even visited and will make a trip next month but need to know where to go.

Also, I have made research on the diversity percentage in GA. I am not a racist, but it seems that the majority of percentage are African American? I was looking in Savannah, GA and they say that 80%+ is african american. I am a white hispanic and my wife is the same, although her mom is half black/hispanic and her dad is white/hispanic. I like to be equal and would prefer a place that has as many african americans as there are white/hispanics. Where should I look?

I live in Fort Lauderdale, FL where more than 80% of the population is African American but this is ghetto and theres a lot of violence. I just want decent people in my neighborhood and community, I dont care for their color of the skin, I care more if they are educated, quiet, respectful and will not mess with anyone or cause trouble. We do not have anyone in GA so moving here will be a new experience and I want to make sure that the decision we make will not come back to haunt us in the future and make us regret it.

With the economy still in rough shape throughout most of the state of Georgia, your best move (if you are serious about moving to Georgia) would be to FIRST find work BEFORE moving to Georgia.

...That's because with the Georgia job market still in such rough shape, there is no guarantee that you will be able to find work after moving to Georgia.

Because the job market in the state of Georgia is in such rough shape, those looking to move to Georgia are almost always very-strongly advised to GET THE JOB FIRST and then look for someplace decent to live in an area of good schools close to where you will be working.

Those looking to move to the Atlanta metro area in particular are also very-strongly advised to GET THE JOB FIRST and look for someplace decent to live near where they will be working because of metro Atlanta's very-severe rush hour and peak-hour traffic congestion.

Also, $950-a-month for rent may not necessarily go as far as you think it might go in Georgia, particularly in the Atlanta metro area where the most of the jobs are, and where the White Hispanic community that you are looking to be around is the largest and where the most diversity (and tolerance) exists in Georgia by far.

When looking for someplace to stay with a rental rate of $950/monthly (a rental rate that is relatively low in the Atlanta metro area in particular), you will have to check very-carefully to ensure that you don't end up in the same situation in Georgia that you are attempting to move from in South Florida.

Some places where you could look for employment in the hospital field are:

> Northside Hospitals (which has hospitals in Atlanta, Cumming and Canton)...

> Wellstar Hospitals (which has hospitals in Dallas/Hiram, Marietta, Austell and Douglasville)...

> Emory Hospitals (which has hospitals in Atlanta and Johns Creek)...

> Piedmont Hospitals (which has hospitals in Atlanta, Newnan, Fayetteville and Stockbridge)...

> Northeast Georgia Medical Center (which has an existing hospital in Gainesville and will be building a new hospital in Braselton)...

> Southern Regional Medical Center in Riverdale...

> Rockdale Medical Center in Conyers.

> Gwinnett Medical Center in Lawrenceville in ultra-diverse Gwinnett County which has the largest Hispanic community in Georgia and is one of the most-diverse communities in the nation

Old 02-26-2014, 08:16 AM

155 posts, read 207,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlavin View Post

I want to be the first to congratulate you on your future move to Georgia and welcome to this great state..Whomever said Savannah was 80% black are completely wrong..Savannah is maybe 55-60% black. IDK. You really cannot count on census data these days. I know for a fact though it's not 80%. Cities with 80% would more likely be in SW Georgia I.E. Albany,Camilla,Moultrie,etcetera. Alright I'm getting off topic. For the most diverse your best bet would be in the Atlanta Metro region. DeKalb county, although it's the 2nd most affluent black majority county in the nation behind Washington,D.C.'s,Prince Georges county, it is one of the most diverse counties in Georgia as well as Gwinnett County. In Dekalb the hospitals you can choose from are Emory University Hospital,DeKalb Medical Center, Dekalb Medical Center-Hillandale,CDC(Don't know if that is somewhere you would want to work at) Decatur VA medical Center..There are probably more Gwinnett County of course the person listed them above.. Have fun on your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia