Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 03:35 PM

23,512 posts, read 44,193,031 times

Advertisements

I do think we have some damn good barbecue in this state. However, it seems to me the styles are pirated from places like Kansas City, Memphis and North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 04:02 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,090,243 times
^And South Carolina (mustard-based).

Old 05-19-2014, 06:38 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,418,551 times
Pirating appears to have gotten China a long way!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:06 PM

23,512 posts, read 44,193,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Pirating appears to have gotten China a long way!
Somalia, too.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:24 PM

137 posts, read 243,296 times
The 2 best BBQ places I have eaten at are: Smok 'N Pig in Valdosta and Malson's right off the I-95 exit in Kingsland.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:16 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,183,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
^And South Carolina (mustard-based).

Yeah that is some nasty stuff right there. The prevalence of that didn't make my stay in Savannah any more pleasant.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:16 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,418,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Somalia, too.
Oh, I didn't think of that one!

Old 05-23-2014, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,212 times
I am a native Georgian and have cooked and enjoyed authentic Georgia Bar-B-Que for 50 years. I understand that what you grow up with and come to know as good BBQ will always be the best in your mind. Here are some of my personal thoughts on the subject. Barbeque speaks to the method of cooking which is different from grilling. Barbeque is to cook very slowly over a low heat wood fire. Grilled chicken, pork chops, etc. grilled over a high heat charcoal or gas fire and slathered with some type of sauce is not barbeque. Here in Georgia, pork is the protein of choice. I also believe that authentic Georgia BBQ has some elements of both the Carolinas, and the Midwest. We start off with a sweet and spicy rub that stays on for at least 12 hours. Then smoked over a slow hickory or oak fire for several hours depending of course on what you're cooking. Ribs are my favorite. I will smoke ribs for about 2 hours then wrap them in foil with a vinegar based "basting" sauce. Smoke that for another hour and then unwrap, sauce with a sweet, spicy tomato based "finishing" sauce and smoke for one more hour. This produces a fall off the bone tender sweet pork rib with a little kick. Whole chickens cook for 2 to 3 hours, pork shoulders for 6 to 8 hours depending on the size, and turkeys for at least 6 to 8 hours. Mountain trout for maybe an hour or so. Except for ribs, I don't usually sauce anything. I agree with other posts here in that I like to taste the smokiness of the meat and I will serve sauce on the side. You can tell a lot about the product itself by the way the plain meat tastes.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:04 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,090,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Yeah that is some nasty stuff right there. The prevalence of that didn't make my stay in Savannah any more pleasant.
That's because they don't know how to make it right in Georgia.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,968,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaddy View Post
I am a native Georgian and have cooked and enjoyed authentic Georgia Bar-B-Que for 50 years. I understand that what you grow up with and come to know as good BBQ will always be the best in your mind. Here are some of my personal thoughts on the subject. Barbeque speaks to the method of cooking which is different from grilling. Barbeque is to cook very slowly over a low heat wood fire. Grilled chicken, pork chops, etc. grilled over a high heat charcoal or gas fire and slathered with some type of sauce is not barbeque. Here in Georgia, pork is the protein of choice. I also believe that authentic Georgia BBQ has some elements of both the Carolinas, and the Midwest. We start off with a sweet and spicy rub that stays on for at least 12 hours. Then smoked over a slow hickory or oak fire for several hours depending of course on what you're cooking. Ribs are my favorite. I will smoke ribs for about 2 hours then wrap them in foil with a vinegar based "basting" sauce. Smoke that for another hour and then unwrap, sauce with a sweet, spicy tomato based "finishing" sauce and smoke for one more hour. This produces a fall off the bone tender sweet pork rib with a little kick. Whole chickens cook for 2 to 3 hours, pork shoulders for 6 to 8 hours depending on the size, and turkeys for at least 6 to 8 hours. Mountain trout for maybe an hour or so. Except for ribs, I don't usually sauce anything. I agree with other posts here in that I like to taste the smokiness of the meat and I will serve sauce on the side. You can tell a lot about the product itself by the way the plain meat tastes.
YUM!

I will also add that you always always ALWAYS prefer whatever kind of potato salad and cole slaw that your mama (or grandmama) made. And nothing goes better with a BBQ than cole slaw and tater salad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia