Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,977 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking into attending UGA in athen's, Ga. I am not very familiar with the area and live a distance away so it's not easy for me to just drive around and look at the places. I am a 31yr old, single, disabled female and I plan to live alone. I am looking for a safe place to live but am shocked while looking online to find so many horrendous reviews of just about every apartment/townhouse/duplex I find. Alot them are made to rent by room only and I dont want that. I heard that it's safer to stay on the westside but I can't find much there. I am hoping to find someone who is familiar with the area who can give me some much needed advice and some names of specific apartments/townhome/duplex's.

A little information on what I'm looking for.

-safe, very safe place because I will be alone.
-quiet, no loud parties, and drunk students everywhere (a few here and there are fine, but not excessive amounts) I want to be away from the college life, I am an older mature adult and am not interested in hanging out with party animals.
- anywhere from 500-600 dollars a month for rent (I am willing to put in more if I absolutely have to, in order to find a decent place)
- one to two bedrooms, I prefer two but will settle for one if I can't afford it.
- no roach problems, I am a clean person. i will not live in a roach infested nasty place!
- either washer and dryer included or washer and dryer connections (I can live without it if have to, just am hoping for it)
- I prefer to find a affordable townhome or duplex or a house but am also looking at apartments. I like alot of space to myself and dont like hearing everybody's noise or them hearing me. I am also a night owl and can be noisy at night so dont really want to have to be quiet at night because it might disturb neighbors. But I am respectful and will be quiet if residing in a apartment. So I am open to all options and will suck it up if I have to. I just prefer more separation but will compromise.
- I do have a pet. It is a parrotlet. So it would have to be a place that will allow that. I did find an awesome place online that had everything I needed, (Brighten Park) but then while reading through it said NO Pet Policy. I was so upset. But I'm going to call them anyway and see if it is possible to have a tiny pet like my bird there. Doesn't hurt to try I guess.

Please if anybody can please help me, it would be greatly appreciated. I have gotten so frustrated about not finding anything decent and am becoming too terrified to even go to UGA because of the living situation. I'm tempted to start looking at other colleges. I do want to go to UGA's art program as I heard it was very good. Now that may not become true if I can't find a safe comfortable place to live.
Thank you very much for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 10:08 PM

228 posts, read 601,227 times
Hello. Have you spoken with anyone at UGA yet? They do have graduate student and "family" housing on campus, which could be an option for you. Here is the link: https://housing.uga.edu/family-graduate

Staying on campus would alleviate travel concerns for you. And, the living environment is more controlled by staff than off campus, so noisy neighbors, etc would be kept to a minimum. I think they could be a great option for you!

Also, Homes.com is a great resource: http://www.homes.com/rentals/athens-ga/

Good luck and Go Dawgs!!!

Old 08-20-2014, 10:10 PM

Also, this office at UGA should be a great resource as well: Disability Resource Center | A Division of Student Affairs

Old 08-20-2014, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,977 times
Okay, thank you very much. I feel weird about living on campus, but hey I might like it so I'm going to look into it. I'm glad I have other options to look at now. Thank you so much RunningNorm.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:36 PM

Hello, indecisive82, you are very welcome! I have worked on a number of campuses for the past 11 years running student housing. I have also worked in the private sector at off campus housing properties. And, I can share first hand that living on campus is a far more enjoyable experience. The living environment, generally, is more controlled, safer, and more conducive to study. The staff tend to be more invested in your success as a student as opposed to an off campus property, where you are more of a lease to them. The focus off campus tends to be more lenient in regards to parties, noise, etc. On campus, there are more RA's doing rounds, keeping things quieter, etc. I have had students as young as 16 and as mature as 55 live in my halls. And, both spectrums have found it enjoyable. So, at 31, do not feel like you will be out of place, especially in halls/apartments geared more towards families and grad students. Also, on campus, the offices of Disability services work hand in hand with housing to make sure your living accommodations have whatever you may need to fully enjoy living there. And, having interacted personally with a number of the UGA housing staff, I can attest to their professionalism, genuine care for their residents, and full commitment to your success. UGA is a great school, Athens is a wonderful town, you will love it!

Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
This seems a bit late in the game... are you already accepted? Haven't classes already begun?

Graduate/family housing is a quiet part of campus detached from the main part. It won't feel like you're an undergraduate at all, but they aren't popular, new, happening, sought after either. They are safe and there is a bus that will connect you to campus directly. One note: You just about have to take the bus. You can only get one parking spot on campus, which will be the family/graduate housing lots... so you can't drive near your classes if you live on campus.

You're budget is likely a touch low, but perhaps not undoable if you're not choosey. The apartment complexes are just hit or miss and often cater solely to students. They undergo alot of wear and tear from a high turnover of students.

When I was a graduate student I rented a condo. Lots of students still, but it was a bit more toned down with owners in the mix. The neighborhood was a bit edgy, but safe overall. I rented from a realty company that rents houses and apartments on behalf of owners. Just search through various Athens Realty companies. Some have rentals, some don't.

Safety is not an issue on the eastside at all. In fact it is a very common area with lots of students, particularly in two areas: Barnett Shoals Rd and Riverbend Rd off of College Station. The catch is ... lots of undergraduates and many of them can be quite loud and lively at times.

One nice benefit of Family/Graduate housing for you... I think utilities are included, including cable and internet (double check this!). So while it is out of your budget... it is really in your budget once you take that into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia