Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 06:49 PM

8 posts, read 13,586 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I know you all get a million of these but any kind of feedback would be helpful. like many up here in Connecticut l, my family is considering moving from New England down to the south, Georgia being where we are beginning to seriously look. My parents are retiring and will be putting their house up here on the market, and have asked me if I would like to move down with them instead of renewing my lease on my apartment up here. I would be able to stay with them until I get situated, and employed. My parents are looking for a property with a home on about 10-20 acres in the $350-$550,000 range, but not too far out from civilization lol.
About me, I'm a 29 year old single guy, so I would like to be somewhere with a little nightlife with people my age (something lacking up here in ct since everyone my age got out whileThey could). I love the outdoors, fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, bonfires, ATV riding etc. As for work I am a caretaker in a group home for the developmentally disabled, but also have 10 years warehouse/manual labor experience. Also I am considering applying to the department of corrections to be a CO when i get down there. What areas do you all suggest? Any info I left out that might be helpful just let me know!

Last edited by Sac8286; 12-23-2015 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 06:36 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Check out Carrollton, Ga. Located about one hour west of Atlanta.It has pretty much all you want.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:00 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
And be aware of the FUBAR GA car registration system (Ad Valorem tax)... if you're considering buying a new car, do it in GA so you can wrap the costs into the loan, otherwise expect to pay a few thousand dollars right when you get here (per vehicle) to get them legal.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:07 AM

Thanks southern man, I'll check that out. And thanks for the heads up Brian, I lease right now and have a year left so maybe I can figure something out. Any other tips or suggestions would be awesome!

Old 12-26-2015, 02:35 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac8286 View Post
Hi everyone, I know you all get a million of these but any kind of feedback would be helpful. like many up here in Connecticut l, my family is considering moving from New England down to the south, Georgia being where we are beginning to seriously look. My parents are retiring and will be putting their house up here on the market, and have asked me if I would like to move down with them instead of renewing my lease on my apartment up here. I would be able to stay with them until I get situated, and employed. My parents are looking for a property with a home on about 10-20 acres in the $350-$550,000 range, but not too far out from civilization lol.
About me, I'm a 29 year old single guy, so I would like to be somewhere with a little nightlife with people my age (something lacking up here in ct since everyone my age got out whileThey could). I love the outdoors, fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, bonfires, ATV riding etc. As for work I am a caretaker in a group home for the developmentally disabled, but also have 10 years warehouse/manual labor experience. Also I am considering applying to the department of corrections to be a CO when i get down there. What areas do you all suggest? Any info I left out that might be helpful just let me know!
I suggest looking in the northern half of Cherokee County (Canton, Ball Ground, Waleska) and Bartow County (Cartersville, Adairsville). Both are considered part of Metro Atlanta and they are located 30-50 minutes north of downtown. It's possible to buy a nice house on 10 acres for $500k or less in those areas. They also have the lowest crime rates in the metro area.

Don't stress too much about the car tax thing. When you register a vehicle from out of state, you are required to pay half of the TAVT (Title Ad Valorem Tax) within 30 days and the balance within 12 months. The current TAVT rate is 7% of fair market value. TAVT replaced sales tax on vehicle sales in 2013.

On the subject of taxes, it is worth noting that there are only six counties (out of 159) in Georgia with a 6% Sales Tax rate and Cherokee is one of those. Most are 7% and more than 40 are 8%.

Last edited by IGoZoom; 12-26-2015 at 02:45 AM..

Old 12-27-2015, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the info zoom, I'm definitely going to check that out. What is the job market like for a general labor type like me? My main goal is to get into the department of corrections, but until then I will need something for income. I don't have a degree so I'm basicly looking for warehouse work or something along those lines

Old 12-27-2015, 11:50 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Check out Carrollton, Ga. Located about one hour west of Atlanta.It has pretty much all you want.
Night life? If you want to drive into ATL maybe...

Old 12-27-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac8286 View Post
Thanks for the info zoom, I'm definitely going to check that out. What is the job market like for a general labor type like me? My main goal is to get into the department of corrections, but until then I will need something for income. I don't have a degree so I'm basicly looking for warehouse work or something along those lines
Lots of stuff you are looking for in the Bartow area. I grew up in Bartow and it is truly a nice place. Still a little country but close to downtown (without traffic).

Carrollton is a nice area too, just lacking the night life you want. I also think the Carroll and Douglas county areas seem to be a little more run down than Bartow. Not saying they are bad, just not as developed. IMO.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:55 PM

Totally unrelated but is that car tax a one time fee?

Old 12-28-2015, 06:05 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Totally unrelated but is that car tax a one time fee?
Yup, one time then it's just a "tag" fee of (currently $20) every year. It works out to about "even" with the old ways if you keep a vehicle for ~6 years if I'm remembering correctly, and you get ahead beyond that... of course, statistically speaking, most people buy new every 4~5 so the state makes out.

It's a frustrating/annoying situation that completely killed my small business (flipping motorcycles, not exactly a huge profit), I just couldn't make money and in some cases lost money, thanks to the rather onerous penalties. Which is Exactly why the auto dealers in the state sponsored the law change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia