Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 2,557 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone , I’d like to introduce myself . My name is Tony and I currently live in New Jersey but Luckily I was approved for a condo in Lithonia, Georgia and I will be making the move On January 6, 2018. Might not be the best place to live but my foot is in the door and I plan on upgrading once everything is settled. I plan on driving there with my wife and daughter. We lived with my parents so luckily we don’t have any luggage’s or anything big to worry about. My question is , do I need to surrender my plates now or can I drive to GA, get situated and do it at a later time?. I have heard about the tax we have to pay to register an out of state car . I drive a 2014 Altima if that’s any help . Any information will do. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 12:29 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,477,909 times
You have 30 days and the ad valorem can be split into 2 payments (half up front, half in 6 months if I'm remembering correctly).

Good luck, you might want to try posting to the Atlanta sub-forum as you'll get more people.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:33 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,634,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone908 View Post
Hello everyone , I’d like to introduce myself . My name is Tony and I currently live in New Jersey but Luckily I was approved for a condo in Lithonia, Georgia and I will be making the move On January 6, 2018. Might not be the best place to live but my foot is in the door and I plan on upgrading once everything is settled. I plan on driving there with my wife and daughter. We lived with my parents so luckily we don’t have any luggage’s or anything big to worry about. My question is , do I need to surrender my plates now or can I drive to GA, get situated and do it at a later time?. I have heard about the tax we have to pay to register an out of state car . I drive a 2014 Altima if that’s any help . Any information will do. Thanks for reading.
The vehicular registration tax that you are talking about is called the TAVT (Title Ad Valorem Tax).

You will pay the TAVT when registering your vehicle in your county of residence.

Since you will be living in Lithonia, and since all of the Lithonia mailing area falls within DeKalb County, your county of residence will be DeKalb.

Here is the link to the DeKalb County Tax Commissioner's page of vehicular registration requirements and instructions for new residents:

https://www.dekalbcountyga.gov/tax-c...ew-residents-0

Amongst some of the requirements you will need to fulfill to register your vehicle within 30 days of becoming a resident of the state of Georgia:

> You will need to pay an $18.00 Title Fee, a $20.00 Tag Fee, and you will need to pay the Georgia state TAVT (which through the end of 2018 will be 7% of what the Georgia Department of Revenue determines is your vehicle's "fair market value") at one of the 3 locations of the DeKalb County Tax Commissioner's department.

Here is the link to the Georgia Department of Revenue's "TAVT Calculator" where you can enter in the purchase and identification information on your vehicle and get a rough estimate of what your TAVT payment will be when you register your vehicle with the DeKalb County Tax Commissioner...

https://dor.georgia.gov/tavt-calculator

Here is also a link to the page with the locations and hours of the 3 branch offices of the DeKalb County Tax Commissioner's department:

https://www.dekalbcountyga.gov/tax-c...ations-hours-0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia