Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:40 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Interesting...will have to read up on that.
Actually, my 'source' for this was a History Professor at my alma mater; he taught a popular course called The History of the South. He was the scion of a big textile family in Alabama. I found it interesting, too. He used to tease me unmercifully for being an Atlanta native...Miss_______, from the Paris of the South!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 05:42 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Actually, my 'source' for this was a History Professor at my alma mater; he taught a popular course called The History of the South. He was the scion of a big textile family in Alabama. I found it interesting, too. He used to tease me unmercifully for being an Atlanta native...Miss_______, from the Paris of the South!"
Too much personal info on this forum to reveal your Alma Mater? I am a grad of Samford so Birmingham/Atlanta dynamics are of great interest.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:43 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
It's because Georgia is the mirror image of Alabama. From the cities location to the state's wealth (without Atlanta).
Georgia and South Carolina are both Atlantic colonial states Alabama is not. So there no cities with history of Savannah. Charleston. Alabama coastal city is on gulf and have more in common with Louisiana actually.

Birmingham is not actually on the Piedmont but the Cumberland plateau like Nashville because it's on the other side of the Appalachians oblivious similar geography but the same can be said with SC.

And central Georgia cities are on the fault of the Piedmont and the Atlantic coastal plain the line up with more the Carolina cities than Alabama actually.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Plain.svg.png

I think GA has more in common with SC but oblivious a little bit of both.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:01 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Too much personal info on this forum to reveal your Alma Mater? I am a grad of Samford so Birmingham/Atlanta dynamics are of great interest.
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...s-college-1515

Small world. My first husband attended Samford as well. But we won't hold that against you. It's a good school with a beautiful campus.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...s-college-1515

Small world. My first husband attended Samford as well. But we won't hold that against you. It's a good school with a beautiful campus.
Well renowned, Rollins. I am thinking I have a connection there too, a cousin of my mother maybe? She is long gone...

Old 03-09-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's hard to say considering the conditions that led to the growth of Charlotte and the Triangle (not just Raleigh). Charlotte benefited from its geographical location as the 'crossroads of the Carolinas' and the prominence of the banking industry. The Triangle's growth is due to the historical importance of the tobacco industry and the role of the state's political, business, and academic leaders in the establishment of Research Triangle Park. When I read about the history of Research Triangle Park in particular, the vision and foresight of the state's leaders during the 1950s is pretty amazing to me.

Now I know you're not saying that the same conditions that created Charlotte and the Triangle would have been the exact same in a Georgia without Atlanta, but I just don't see how it's a given that the population of what would have been metro Atlanta would have simply been distributed throughout the state had Atlanta not existed. There simply is no basis for that.
That unknowable but similar condition did exist.

Charlotte became a banking center due to Carolina Gold Rush and Charotte mint, Charlotte became the 2nd mint center in the US.

Charlotte Mint

Carolina Gold Rush

The exact same thing happen in Georgia a similar time. Thus Dahlonega became the 3rd mint center in the US.

Dahlonega Mint

Georgia Gold Rush

Atlanta was founded during this time..... Atlanta is just south of Dahlonega. in fact Dahlonega is now an exurb, After the rushes ended Atlanta became financial center of Georgia contracting with Charlotte staying. There was nothing in NC "especially right near Charlotte" equal to the growth of Atlanta 1830 to 1900 that would effect Charlotte growth.

-----------

University of Georgia the US first state-chartered university in 1785, but founded in similar timing as University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 1789, both two of three earliest universities in the country.

Again from 1870 to 1970 NC has nothing the size of Atlanta instead of Georgia tech and Georgia state going closer to Athens the was founded in Atlanta instead.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
That unknowable but similar condition did exist.

Charlotte became a banking center due to Carolina Gold Rush and Charotte mint, Charlotte became the 2nd mint center in the US.

Charlotte Mint

Carolina Gold Rush

The exact same thing happen in Georgia a similar time. Thus Dahlonega became the 3rd mint center in the US.

Dahlonega Mint

Georgia Gold Rush

Atlanta was founded during this time..... Atlanta is just south of Dahlonega. in fact Dahlonega is now an exurb, After the rushes ended Atlanta became financial center of Georgia contracting with Charlotte staying. There was nothing in NC "especially right near Charlotte" equal to the growth of Atlanta 1830 to 1900 that would effect Charlotte growth.

-----------

University of Georgia the US first state-chartered university in 1785, but founded in similar timing as University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 1789, both two of three earliest universities in the country.

Again from 1870 to 1970 NC has nothing the size of Atlanta instead of Georgia tech and Georgia state going closer to Athens the was founded in Atlanta instead.
I am by no means an expert in this field but seems I remember an article back around the time the different banks were merging.... when C&S became NationsBank... That North Carolina had much more liberal laws than Georgia concerning interstate banking and that is why so much of the banking industry in NC exploded. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of this industry could expound.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I am by no means an expert in this field but seems I remember an article back around the time the different banks were merging.... when C&S became NationsBank... That North Carolina had much more liberal laws than Georgia concerning interstate banking and that is why so much of the banking industry in NC exploded. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of this industry could expound.
Yes post 1960's, but i'm stating how Charlotte even got to that point. Even before that Charlotte played a role in American finance. Philly, Charlotte, Dahlonega, New Orleans are the countries oldest coin producing centers before the civil war.

Like wise the research park happen post 1950's but how did Raleigh even got to that point? way before the research park NC leaders were looking ahead develop the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1789. Along With university of Georgia in Athens they are one of three schools to claim the title of the oldest public university in the Country, So why didn't Athens kept growing like Raleigh?

Another thing which I didn't mention Macon early history is actually similar to Winston-salem except Macon was Cotton and Winston-salem was tobacco. but After the civil war Atlanta basically replaced Macon in that industry.

Atlanta went from 9,554 in 1860 to 154,839 by 1910,

Charlotte was 34,014 in 1910.

Macon GA was in 40,665 in 1910.

if Atlanta was in NC during that time the growth of Atlanta probably would affected Charlotte, Raleigh, and The triad areas.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:19 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
My father was a past president of the Georgia Independent Bankers Association, which, back in the 60s and 70s, was a very powerful influence in the state legislature when it came to banking matters. For a long period, Georgia would not even allow Georgia banks to expand beyond the county in which they were headquartered. For instance, the First National Bank of Atlanta could not open a branch in Columbus. This, obviously, was to protect the small rural banking industry from the big city banks. Further, a Georgia-based bank could not expand beyond state lines nor were non-Georgia banks allowed to operate within Georgia.

With the election of Governor George Busbee, all of that changed. The once protective, parochial banking laws were upended during his administration (my father mourned this as the end of local banks). However, by that time, banks from more liberal states had far outgrown even Georgia's largest bank. When the barriers were lifted, Georgia became a prime state for big out-of-state banks to open branches. And, Georgia's banks became acquisition targets of out-of-state banks.

As a result, Georgia's rural and independent banks have mostly gone by the wayside. Many have gone out of business and many have been acquired. Synovus, a Columbus, GA based bank, has acquired many of the state's once independent rural banks. While helping in the demise of small town uniqueness, banks, such as Synovus, have insured that small towns continue to be served by the banking industry.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Yes post 1960's, but i'm stating how Charlotte even got to that point. Even before that Charlotte played a role in American finance. Philly, Charlotte, Dahlonega, New Orleans are the countries oldest coin producing centers before the civil war.
True but it wasn't a given. NC played a more active role in the regulation of banks than other states so that's why Charlotte, and Winston-Salem (home of Wachovia and BB&T), became the banking centers they did.

Quote:
Like wise the research park happen post 1950's but how did Raleigh even got to that point? way before the research park NC leaders were looking ahead develop the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1789. Along With university of Georgia in Athens they are one of three schools to claim the title of the oldest public university in the Country, So why didn't Athens kept growing like Raleigh?
Raleigh wasn't a big place prior to the growth of RTP; as a matter of fact, it wasn't all that long ago that the Triangle outgrew the Triad to become the second-largest region in NC. RTP really started hitting its stride in the late 80's/early 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia