Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:04 AM

12 posts, read 39,969 times

Advertisements

My husband will be taking a job at KSU, in Kennesaw, and we will be moving in less than 6 weeks. Eek! Hopefully into our first home...stress and excitement rolled up in one. We have a 3 year old daughter (will be 4 on July 30th, 2008) and I am interested in finding info on:

- Best places to live in or near the area with a 4 year old. (aka: Best school district, safe, inexpensive housing, parks...things to do, etc.)
(Most things I've read say that Kennesaw is the best area, but what about places like Acworth, Dallas or other nearby communities? Is there a reason to live directly in Kennesaw as opposed to the other areas? Well...other than gas? Also, is there an area with "small town feel" and growing, but excellent schools?)

- Great Education Centers/Schools for 4 year olds.
We're from Florida. Any great facilities for Pre-K kids? Primarily interested in pure fun learning environments; not so much "daycare". Also, does Georgia do VPK? Also, any great facilities that accept this? Also, anyone know how you apply for VPK?

Thank you for your help! It's much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,327 times
Hello, My name is Marissa. I am a Real Estate agent here in Kennesaw GA. I also have a 4 year old child. Presonally, Cobb County is a great place to raise a child! We have great school systems with the small town feel. If you need information on Cobb County, please give me a call. Moderator cut: No advertisement. Please use DM instead.

Last edited by MB2; 04-25-2008 at 08:49 AM..

Old 04-24-2008, 09:48 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
Just b/c you hear Kennesaw, Acworth, or Marietta is great, you need to check the schools and areas. All mailing addresses stretch over several school districts.

You hear North Cobb is great, magnet program etc, but I went there, graduated in 96, last year a school of excellence. My Dad graduated in '67. My kids will not go to North Cobb, at least not right now. I would however send them to Kennesaw Mtn, Harrison, Allatoona, or Kell. All areas North Cobb once covered.

your kids are young so I wouldn't worry but my sister teaches 2nd grade at Acworth.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:02 AM

78 posts, read 368,160 times
My daughter went to Kennesaw Elementary and is now at Big Shanty. We have had great experiences with both schools. We live in between the Kennesaw city limits and the Acworth city limits.
My son goes to a Primrose school. We are also very happy with it. He has a great teacher, the same one my daughter had when she was 4. They have a great structured day that makes it more school and less daycare. A lot of learning activities.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2kids View Post
My daughter went to Kennesaw Elementary and is now at Big Shanty. We have had great experiences with both schools. We live in between the Kennesaw city limits and the Acworth city limits.
My son goes to a Primrose school. We are also very happy with it. He has a great teacher, the same one my daughter had when she was 4. They have a great structured day that makes it more school and less daycare. A lot of learning activities.

Just saw that as of 2008 the public Elementary schools will no longer be providing the Georgia Pre-K program; only the daycare, Pre-K and child facilities in Cobb County. I will definitely look into the Primrose school. Thank you for the information.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarissaA1 View Post
Hello, My name is Marissa. I am a Real Estate agent here in Kennesaw GA. I also have a 4 year old child. Presonally, Cobb County is a great place to raise a child! We have great school systems with the small town feel. If you need information on Cobb County, please give me a call. Moderator cut: No advertisement. Please use DM instead.
Hi. Thanks Marissa. We already have a great realtor in the area but are interested in specific schools for Pre-K. If you have information regarding these (Georgia Pre-K schools) that would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Just b/c you hear Kennesaw, Acworth, or Marietta is great, you need to check the schools and areas. All mailing addresses stretch over several school districts.

You hear North Cobb is great, magnet program etc, but I went there, graduated in 96, last year a school of excellence. My Dad graduated in '67. My kids will not go to North Cobb, at least not right now. I would however send them to Kennesaw Mtn, Harrison, Allatoona, or Kell. All areas North Cobb once covered.

your kids are young so I wouldn't worry but my sister teaches 2nd grade at Acworth.
Thank you for this inofrmation. I've heard of Kennesaw Mtn and Harrison. I'm moreso interested in Pre-K programs and Elementary schools. I've got a long way to go to finding a high-school. Thank God! We're trying to stay in Kennesaw just because it's close to KSU but have seen some great areas in Acworth, Marietta and Canton.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:22 PM

134 posts, read 439,648 times
I lived Kennesaw for 30+ years (almost my entire life) and I can tell you first hand that the Kennesaw and Acworth is a great place to live and raise a family. You might want to check out the Cedar Crest Road area, there are some great communities there (Seven Hills, Bentwater, and there are some more but I can't remember the name of them). The Elementary school in that area is called Shelton Elementary.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 PM

134 posts, read 439,648 times
What part of Florida are you moving here from? This Summer I will be moving down there to Florida in St. Johns County.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 AM

4 posts, read 39,815 times
Default Check out Riverstone Montessori school

[URL="http://www.riverstonemontessori.com"]www.riverstonemontessori.com[/URL]

It has pre-K thru Middle school and is located in West Cobb around the new subdivisions of The Avenue on Dallas Highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia