Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 08:39 AM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times

Advertisements

I am noticing some conservatives from northern and western areas coming to the Atlanta area. However, that is being neutralized northern liberals going to the Atlanta area. Areas like Cobb, Douglas, Gwinnett, those counties are turning or have turned Democrat recently.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
I was raised a Democrat but not as we know it today. When I was young and when my parents were young the Democrats were the Conservative party of the south. Since the 1960’s everything got screwed up and now it’s the a Republicans that are the party of South. I’m personally a libertarian conservative on most issues. Neither of the major parties represents my views.
How did the 1960s get so screwed up? From my perspective, anything before 1970 was a horrible time to be in America, especially the South.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:47 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,113,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How did the 1960s get so screwed up? From my perspective, anything before 1970 was a horrible time to be in America, especially the South.
Grew up in Georgia and graduated from HS in 1971. You are absolutely right -- it was a horrible time almost everywhere in America, especially in the South.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Grew up in Georgia and graduated from HS in 1971. You are absolutely right -- it was a horrible time almost everywhere in America, especially in the South.
I was born in 1986. My perspective of the 1960s and before comes from the history books. Nothing nice, especially if you were Black. I wanted to hear from that person who said that things went bad in the 1960s.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:57 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,613,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I was born in 1986. My perspecced to hear from that person who said that things went bad in the 1960s.
The 1960's were the best of times & worst of times to steal a quote from Dickens.

Economy
- Graduate high school & walk into a union auto job or the equivalent type job & the pay was around $40 an hour in today's wages. This led to the great migration out of appalachia & the American South to the industrial midwest.
- Education system outside of the South was much better than today.
- Violent crime was much lower.

Vietnam
- Tour this country apart, you had a war in which young people were being drafted & sent to with a good chance they were going to die over in the jungle. This led to protests & civil disobedience.
- Civil rights & the end of Jim Crow, let's just say Jim Crow didn't die a non-violent death.
- The introduction of broadcast TV, brought all of this into our houses.
- changing cultural values.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
The 1960's were the best of times & worst of times to steal a quote from Dickens.

Economy
- Graduate high school & walk into a union auto job or the equivalent type job & the pay was around $40 an hour in today's wages. This led to the great migration out of appalachia & the American South to the industrial midwest.

Vietnam
- Tour this country apart, you had a war in which young people were being drafted & sent to with a good chance they were going to die over in the jungle. This led to protests & civil disobedience.
- Civil rights & the end of Jim Crow, let's just say Jim Crow didn't die a non-violent death.
Well, I still prefer now to the 60s.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:53 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,266,713 times
Quote:

Economy

Vietnam
The murder rate in NYC in the early 60’s was much like today. By the late 60’s it was higher than today. And the 70’s...fuggedaboutit.

People could graduate high school and get a job because in the early 60’s only around 8% of high school grads got a college degree, compared to 35% today.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:12 PM

834 posts, read 1,018,134 times
I would argue against the sixties posts here.. I think displacement in the labor industry is what killed all the rural towns and middle-class and not what the average baby boomer did in the seventies and eighties, or the gold standard..

I lived in nothing but working class neighborhoods in Georgia and North Carolina and still remember what everyone did for a living.. Truck Driving is the only career still left from that era and it's paying half what it did, and all those towns are now prime real estate packed with hideous planned communities...

Old 05-22-2019, 07:04 PM

7,159 posts, read 4,562,630 times
Being a boomer I agree with Tjjt.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 PM
bu2

24,109 posts, read 14,909,092 times
Quote:

Economy

Vietnam
Well said.

It was a lot easier if you were high school educated and not Black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia